Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived very early wednesday morining, and waited outide Jims shop in Freehold, NJ. He got there around 8 am and gave me a tour of the facility. I saw all kinds of cool cars and trucks. Jims Black cobra which should be at Richmond by the time you read this post. Jim fixed my head and we fired it up, worked great, we then decided to dyno the car, on the dyno broke the spider peice in the blower snout, I think the numbers were decent for the setup until the part broke correct me if I'm wrong Rich(Hammer) The car made like 508 RWHP at 4000rpms, and 620 Ft. lbs of Trq then the part broke, and everything dropped like a rock, looked like it was going to be an impressive run the car was still hot form me taking it out and running it on the street, for awhile, I am going to have Jim Heli coil the rest of the heads, and do a little more work on the car, thanks go out to Jim ,Shawn , Juile, Anthony, Richie, and Justin for all thier help with my car.
Going with the front Mount heat exchanger and longtubes on the car while it is there. Jim also showed me the cams he has for his car, wow do they look pretty. Rich I had a great time meeting you out htere it was great talking to again. When the part broke they called fellow shop owner Pete to see if he could help us out, he went out of his way to help me but me not being from jersey or knowing my way around I got lost, and couldn't find his shop, and I would like to say thanks to pete for helping me out, but i'm sorry I didn't make it there to get the part. I had a great time out there and can't wait to go back out. I just wish I had more time out there to spend with everyone.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just curious..... When you heli-coil anything you have to run a tap in the hole which creates loads of aluminum chips in this case. When you tap a spark plug hole with the head on how do you keep all the chips from falling down on top of the piston and possibly wedging between the piston and the cylinder wall? This could eventually interfere with the ring's operation or score/scuff the cylinder wall.. I guess you could rig a snorkle with a high powered vacuum cleaner and run it during the tapping operation phase but that still wouldn't get every chip..

I would not want to heli-coil all my plug holes just as an insurance measure. IMHO you're flirting with disaster.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They sealed the valves before, tapping the heads, and this method has been used on the L's for years to take care of the plugs blowing out of the heads, it just isn't a regular heli coil. Call JDM for details. I'll post more later.:D

Sorry was on the phone at the same time, they cleaned out the cylinder with a high pressure vacum, and then sprayed it clean with a cleaning solevant. it worked perfectly.
Also at 32lbs of boost watched the belt shred on the dyno pretty cool!!!, little shreds were left on the floor.
Really thinking about the cams.:D
I gotta be careful my car may leave with the full JDM catalog along with my HD.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Matt,

It's always a pleasure hanging with you, bro. Even though we were working through headaches with your car, we had a fun day, goofing and laughing. That's what it's all about. And, in the end, everything will be fine with your car.

I think it will pull 750 RWHP when it's all fixed and the pulley stops slipping. The Reichard setup should do the trick.

That day was my second experience with JDM. Jim and Shaun impressed me with their expertise and professionalism again.

And Nitrous Pete came through while we were in a jam and offered what he could to help us out. Vendors working togather cooperatively to get a guy back on the road. THAT is what the scene is all about!

Matt, I got your part in the mail from Kenne Bell and will bring it to JDM first thing Monday morning so that he has it for your car.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Rich

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
undy said:
Just curious..... When you heli-coil anything you have to run a tap in the hole which creates loads of aluminum chips in this case. When you tap a spark plug hole with the head on how do you keep all the chips from falling down on top of the piston and possibly wedging between the piston and the cylinder wall? This could eventually interfere with the ring's operation or score/scuff the cylinder wall.. I guess you could rig a snorkle with a high powered vacuum cleaner and run it during the tapping operation phase but that still wouldn't get every chip..
Not sure if Jim used it or not but they do make magnetic drill/tap sets..........all the shavings stick to the tap.

--Joe

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What ever Rich I want 900 with heads and cams done right, and some bigger injectors to boot, I may never get my car back from JDM if this keeps up, Heck a 1000 on the bottle, those cheater somenoids should do the trick, what do you think pete?

You can never have a enough Horsepower or Nitrous Right?
I think I have gone insane oh well at least everyone will know what no to do with thier cobra when I get done.

Now how crazy can I get with the HD, built block I'm working on that right now in my garage. :D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Haveight said:
What ever Rich I want 900 with heads and cams done right, and some bigger injectors to boot, I may never get my car back from JDM if this keeps up, Heck a 1000 on the bottle, those cheater somenoids should do the trick, what do you think pete?

I think I have gone insane oh well at least everyone will know what no to do with thier cobra when I get done.

Now how crazy can I get with the HD, built block I'm working on that right now in my garage. :D
One word for you, Matt:

LITHIUM

G

·
I bet you will do it too!!! You are a mad man on a mission!
Showing no mercy! :shocked

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Haveight said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts