Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending the majority of Friday evening working with the scoop, I have determined that installing the shaker with a C&L CAI (and probably any other CAI except the stock filter box/tube), will require some trimming/cutting of various parts of the shaker housing. There are several areas of interference, including but not limited to, the C&L intake tube, the MAF sensor, the passenger side vent tube, and various hoses. My jigsaw and a dremel tool were busy tonight. And the TBS had to be removed, too.

Here are some pics before I got started.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few "in process" shots (before all the cutting and grinding was done).

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And here are few after the trimming was done. Tomorrow, I will finish fitting the air inlet piping, and then cut the hood opening. And many thanks to Mike "2stangs" for helping me out tonight (and tomorrow)!!

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lostsoul said:
That looks awsome don!!.. can you get the TB spacer in there?
Thanks, lostsoul... unfortunately, the TBS is a victim of this mod. The shaker is attached by the 2 bolts on the top of the throttle body. With the spacer in, it moves the mounting point 1" too far forward, and the scoop doesn't fit over the engine anymore, and even if it did, it wouldn't line up properly with the hole in the hood. That sucks, too... cuz I like the TBS. Anybody want to buy one on the cheap? I paid $108 for it... make me an offer.

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
I saw your writeup on TMS and the list of things that you needed to change. For instance you said the MAF got in the way, the intake pipe, etc. I see where you cut a corner of the shaker cover off for MAF wiring. How does having the C&L cause that? Wouldn't that have needed to be done even with stock to get that wiring free? Same with the vent line between the intake tube and the cam cover. I don't see how a stock setup would have prevented all of the trimming that has needed to be done. Maybe I am missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I know this mod has been your baby and you have been expecting/anticipating it for a long time. And yes, the finished product is going to look great. It just seems like alot of "tweaking" is having to be done to it that you are saying was because of having a CAI. And from the way the pictures look, having a CAI really didn't have anything to do with it.

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
Don, here are photo's of the competed stock air intake after it's been modified to accept the shaker air inlet. Maybe it will give you some guidence on how to install your C&L.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hawgman said:
I saw your writeup on TMS and the list of things that you needed to change. For instance you said the MAF got in the way, the intake pipe, etc. I see where you cut a corner of the shaker cover off for MAF wiring. How does having the C&L cause that? Wouldn't that have needed to be done even with stock to get that wiring free? Same with the vent line between the intake tube and the cam cover. I don't see how a stock setup would have prevented all of the trimming that has needed to be done. Maybe I am missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I know this mod has been your baby and you have been expecting/anticipating it for a long time. And yes, the finished product is going to look great. It just seems like alot of "tweaking" is having to be done to it that you are saying was because of having a CAI. And from the way the pictures look, having a CAI really didn't have anything to do with it.
2Stangs is here with his car, and it looks like there is enough flex in the stock system to allow the vent tube, MAF sensor, and TB bolts to fit better. The C&L is wider and taller around the TB, making the fitment there an issue. It's hard to describe, but maybe comparing the pics of 05yellowGT's set up will help clarify.

BTW, we're not 100% done yet with the underood work, but here's a teaser. :clap: :clap:

Attachments

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
Here is another photo. Let me know what other angles you need to see and I will go to the driveway and take the pics

Attachments

·
dedude in debushes
647 Posts
don_w said:
2Stangs is here with his car, and it looks like there is enough flex in the stock system to allow the vent tube, MAF sensor, and TB bolts to fit better. The C&L is wider and taller around the TB, making the fitment there an issue. It's hard to describe, but maybe comparing the pics of 05yellowGT's set up will help clarify.

BTW, we're not 100% done yet with the underood work, but here's a teaser. :clap: :clap:
From this angle, it looks like it's pointing just a little bit to the driver's side. Could just be me.

Looking good, though... :thumb3:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
don_w said:

Don you sonnofabish, did you darken your foglites?!?!

:drugs:

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
delurker said:
From this angle, it looks like it's pointing just a little bit to the driver's side. Could just be me.

Looking good, though... :thumb3:
Actually, it wasn't completely bolted down in that pic, delurker, so it was proabably crooked. It was just a test fit.

BTW, I'm 100% done now. Going to download the camera and then I'll post a few more, plus some information about the install.

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R3dF!r3 said:
Don you sonnofabish, did you darken your foglites?!?!

:drugs:
Nope, those are the stock fogs...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hmm, must be the lighting angle, it looks very nice with the apparant "toned down grill", not sure if your into that.

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The Details of Installing the Shaker Scoop

OK, let me say right up front that I think CDC could have done a much better job on the engineering, design and fitment of this unit. I had to make many modifications to make it fit right. Some were caused by my aftermarket CAI, but some would be a problem on a stock car, too. Also, the kit wasn't 100% complete. The instructions weren't too bad, but some things could have been explained a little better.

But, even with all the work and extra effort it took, I am very pleased with the outcome. Personally, I think its waaaay cool… and believe it or not, it actually moves when the engine torques (and no, I didn't loosen an engine mount either… haha).

I also want to thank 2stangs (Mike) and my son, Devon for helping out with this project!!!! The extra hands sure were needed on many occasions!! :beerchug:

OK, here are some details and photos (in several parts, so give me a chance to type and upload!).

I already mentioned the cutting I had to do on the shaker assembly to make it fit. I had to trim the area on top of (and to the left of) the throttle body, the corner where the MAF sensor wiring harness comes through, and in the rear on the passenger side. It took a lot of trial and error to make it all work right, and to look halfway decent too.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After getting the shaker assembly customized to fit around the CAI, the next step was to cut the hood. After removing the hood blanket from under the hood, taping the hood for protection, and carefully measuring for the centerline, I attached the template. It took me a few moments to get up the nerve to cut the template out (because you have to score the paint when you do it). Then, I had to take a deep breath and drill the starter hole. Once the starter hole was drilled, there was no turning back. So, out came the jigsaw, and off I went!! My heart must have been going about 300 beats per minute!

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
After that, it was time to cut the under-hood blanket and attach the trim rings. Then, we sat the shaker assembly back on the engine to test for alignment. With it bolted to the throttle body (which, because of the angle, is a trick all by itself!!), we saw that the scoop did not align properly with the hole or the centerline of the hood!! It was twisted clockwise where the gap on the passenger side was more than 1/4" smaller than the gap on the drivers' side. Crap!! This is one of those areas where CDC missed the boat, IMO. The bracket that bolts to the TB has fixed holes only… no way to make a side-to-side adjustment to line things up (FYI, it is the two-prong metal bracket shown on the bottom side of the assembly in the third pic below). So, I had to completely disassemble the shaker assembly to get the bracket off. Then, I spent a lot of time trying to elongate the holes in the bracket to allow for some adjustment. After several test fits, I finally got it to line up evenly on both sides.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The last major hurdle was connecting the cool air supply piping to my CAI air filter heat shield. Since it was not the same size as the stock filter box, and not exactly in the same location either, we had to fabricate some couplings for the piping. I had to use a longer coupler hose (with clamps), because the one CDC sent was too short [Note: CDC should include a much longer coupler with the kit. A longer one will work with the stock setup, plus allow those of us who need it to not have to go buy one somewhere!!] Also, the C&L filter box doesn't sit as low as the stock unit. So, when you cut the hole for the inlet pipe, it forces the entire piping assembly up, which then interferes with the hood closing properly. So, I had to shorten the drop tube, so it didn't hit the hood, and I used the original CDC coupler then to patch up that cut.

Once all that was done, everything was good to go!!

Attachments

·
Banned
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get the car all cleaned up and pictures taken of the final product before it got dark. So, these will have to do for now. I'll be at a local car show tomorrow, so we'll get some better pics there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 293 Posts