Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may need a new clutch. Maybe it is time for the definitive clutch thread.

I'm up to 85 recorded runs. I usually leave out half runs, missed gears etc, probably the total is over 100. And I'm over 12000 miles.

I think with the manual clutch adjuster and line loc, a stock replacement would last a long while. Of course if I KB, the stock one may not be enough.

Ford parts network sells the disc, pp and flywheel for under 500.00. What is the story with the flywheel, can any shop resurface it, or does it need to be replaced?

Should I consider one of these newfangled machined Viper input shafts? Obviously if I do that the stock disc is out, what would be a good, non chattering, hopefully not drivetrain destroying "slippy" clutch?

What about the Spec stuff, straight stage 2, or maybe a stage 2 disc with a stage 3 pp?

Any other good brands? Anybody know anything about RAM clutches?

JT

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I replace mine I'm thinking about going a little more unconventional.. I'm running a McLeod street twin disk setup in my 69 Stingray.. Man that thing's got some clamp! The Corvette's got another 150hp and 100ftlb of torque on the 03 with z-e-r-o clutch slip. The nice part is that the pedal effort is way less than the factory 03 clutch. I've not call Red (the owner) yet at McLeod but I think they've got a setup that'll work for us.

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
JT,

I went with a McLeod Twin Disk set-up on my whip. Now I am in the middle of my 03 cobra to fox body swap & I run a TKO tranny, but planning to add the KB and speaking with Red from McLeod I found this to be the best solution. I have run Spec stage 3's on my old 331 paxton Novi 2k motor and although it supported the power and allowed me to pull the front end off the ground in 2nd, it was a bear on the street. Alot of clatter & a heavy pedal. So I'm going to try out the McLeod set-up. It's 2 - 10.5" disks over the 11" stock and is said to be able to support high HP yet still have light pedal feel and no chatter due to the fact you have twice the surface area. We'll see.

About the standard flywheel. I don't think you can really surface the stock flywheel. I have the stock clutch/flywheel kit off of my crate motor is you decide to stay with the stock set-up, but the steel insert is riveted on and I'm not sure how much material you can actually remove. I know alot of aftermarket aluminum clutches have removable steel sections.

Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
undy said:
I've not call Red (the owner) yet at McLeod but I think they've got a setup that'll work for us.

Yes they do. With steel or aluminum flywheel, all SFI approved.:shocked

·
Registered
135 Posts
JT I will give you my opinion on the Ram clutches.I have the VDS 910 clutch.It is NOT a slippable clutch. IMO this would not be the best clutch for you. It will hold tons of power but you will not be able to race the car with street tires.The Ram VDS 980 would be a better choice for you.It still has a ton of clamping force and you can slip it. IMO if you go Ram the 980 would be the best.

Mikey can give you a good price on the clutch.If you want his number you can PM me and I will let you know.Or go to the site in my sig. for his number.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Everett....I have heard the same thing about our 03 flywheel. As a matter of fact there are some shops that won't entertain the idea of trying to resurface them. Some folks are replacing them with aftermarket aluminum or steel the same time they do their clutch. Yet another point of discussion.......

Good scoop about the McLeod, Undy. Do they have a combination for the 26 spline upgrade? Flywheel too? I have my sights on the G-Force tranny upgrade that is suppose to be available end of the year and will do a clutch then.

·
Registered
295 Posts
predator said:

Do they have a combination for the 26 spline upgrade?
predator ,

Yes, McLeod does have a Street Twin set-up for the 26 spline input. That is exactly what I had to get for my TKO tranny since it is the 26 spline input. Part Number is: 63308B-00-07 ('63' for aluminum flywheel and '07' being for the 26 spline input) This kit includes the Aluminum flywheel. You could get a steel flywheel kit for $100 less. Everything is SFI approved & this flywheel has a replacable steel insert, just FYI

Good luck

·
Registered
250 Posts
Everett said:
predator ,

Yes, McLeod does have a Street Twin set-up for the 26 spline input. That is exactly what I had to get for my TKO tranny since it is the 26 spline input. Part Number is: 63308B-00-07 ('63' for aluminum flywheel and '07' being for the 26 spline input) This kit includes the Aluminum flywheel. You could get a steel flywheel kit for $100 less. Everything is SFI approved & this flywheel has a replacable steel insert, just FYI

Good luck
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'd put a stock clutch back in it, you drive your car to well and have so much control with the stocker. I was wondering at Mod Shootout if your mph's may be down as a result of clutch slip, because you were saying you were running 120's last year at BG with as bad or worse DA readings? Something is up I would say!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
The Spec 2 is good setup..It has no chatter,,For the KB cars they might need a strong clutch..

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
GRNENVY said:
Jim, is your pedal pressure less or more now with the spec stage two set up.
It is a little less

·
Registered
124 Posts
JT,

I have been running the SPEC Stage II disc with the Stage III pressure plate since I put 500 miles on the car last September. It will handle the full Eaton mods very well, allows for slip, crisp shifts, and has less pedal pressure than the stock setup. My wife can drive the car now. ;) It has held up very well and looked new when we did the header install after 8500 miles.

:)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bingo13 said:
JT,

I have been running the SPEC Stage II disc with the Stage III pressure plate since I put 500 miles on the car last September. It will handle the full Eaton mods very well, allows for slip, crisp shifts, and has less pedal pressure than the stock setup. My wife can drive the car now. ;) It has held up very well and looked new when we did the header install after 8500 miles.

:)
That sounds like a nice combination.

What did you do with your flywheel? Resurfaced, or a new one?

I assume the spec stuff meets SFI specs, I assume a stock ford flywheel does not.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket aluminum flywheel that does?

JT

·
Registered
521 Posts
JT,
I changed mine with Stock parts, cause I didn't know at the time if I was going KB. Had the Stock Flywheel resurfaced, $30, good deal, and bought the two bearings PP and Disc from Ford Parts Cheap. Now the peddle pressure is less, but after 5-6 trips to the track, seems to be holding well. The KB will tell the truth though....

·
Registered
124 Posts
JT said:
That sounds like a nice combination.

What did you do with your flywheel? Resurfaced, or a new one?

I assume the spec stuff meets SFI specs, I assume a stock ford flywheel does not.

JT
The SPEC stuff meets or exceeds SFI requirements according to them as does their billet steel or aluminum flywheels. I had the clutch changed at 500 miles so I kept the stock one and did not resurface it. The stock flywheel is a very good unit but when the headers went on I took the opportunity to switch over to the SPEC aluminum unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
JT said:

JT
JT,
The McLeod Clutch (both billet steel & aluminum) meets or exceeds SFI. Their aluminum flywheel has a replaceable steel insert. I think you will find most (if not all) aftermarket billet steel or aluminum flywheels will meet SFI, especially from a reputable company.:blob

Jeff

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
jt - i read what you wrote in another thread about getting clutch slippage when you powershift from 3rd to 4th at low rpms's. my car does the same thing , did you find out if that means the clutch is going bad?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know if it means it is bad. In my case it means the clutch can not handle the 480 ft lbs I have a lower RPM. Whether it ever could, I don't know. Maybe others with 2.93 pulleys can check?

Right now I'm leaning towards a spec 2 disc with a spec threee pressure plate, with the spec aluminum flywheel. I readjusted the clutch and will try it at the track. i hope i can last untila blow proof T-56 bellousing is released.

JT

1 - 20 of 55 Posts