Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just have some thoughts on my mind that I wanted to share with you. Bradenton was a blast as an event, but I noticed something interesting about the 2003 Cobras in attendance. For every one car that raced (there were 5), we had at least 5 in the parking lot. I'm guessing that lots of people want to watch these cars race, but owners are a little reluctant to get in on the action.

At Bradenton's NMRA race, we rolled the 03s into the Vortech Modular Muscle class. This allows you to qualify strong, but race the open comp (or bracket race on a pro tree) format on Sunday. Theoretically, everyone has a chance to win. (I don't want to get into the art of Open Comp racing ... we're just talking here.) On Saturday, I had the 03s lined up in a separate lane so that they would qualify together. This was a nice way to make sure these cars stand out, which they did when Pete went the 10.0 and Richard was running 10.6. The top 5 03s (all of them in this case) got a nice trophy from NMRA - presented in the tower with photos taken for the Race Pages magazine.

I am planning on promoting more "special stuff" for the 03 Cobra. I'm focusing on the Atco, Chicago, Dallas, and KY races. But, it is critical that we start a communication about what you guys/gals want to race. Here are your options:

1. Continue running within the Modular class with special trophies at the end of the event. This is easy for us to do. And, it doesn't take much politics on my end to make it happen. And, it doesn't scare away the guy who is running 12.70s with a stocker. You just get out there with your 03 brothers and have a good time. This also does not restrict someone from doing whatever modifications that they want to do.

2. Special 03 Cobra class. This format would run like the orginal NMRA 03 Shootout in Bowling Green of 02. We will have a separate class on Saturday, and on Sunday ... well, we can roll you all into Modular. Or, we can do a heads-up elimination. Or, you may have your own Open Comp class (like what you will be getting at WFC6 - I'm announcing that one also). This would be a free-for-all with no limits in weight or modifications. The fastest guy (who spent the most $$$) would win if we go heads-up racing.

3. Special 03 Cobra class with a dedicated rule book. This would be a class that we have to develop for 2004. This will NOT happen this year - I've already tried, and there is too much at the NMRA to warrant this right now. The problem with this is that it will limit what you can do, and it will also dictate that you will HAVE to do certain things to your car to stay competitive. Anyone at the least bit familiar with class racing will know what I'm talking about here. Things that you will have to decide here are what rear will be allowed, what trans, what blower, is nitrous allowed, tires, and weight - just for a start.

The other thing that I want all of you to realize is that we really need to see some more 03 Cobras in competition at NMRA. Car count is everything when I go to the bosses and tell them what I want for you. I need to see a dozen 12-second 03 Cobras with happy owners having the time of their lives at the NMRA. This will bring you more rewards than you could ever imagine.

Above all, I need the "leaders" out there to voice up. I know that there is also a lot of you who cruise this board who are trying to decide what to do with your 03. My good buddy, Kenny Moss is on the fence, ready to pull the trigger on a live axle with drag suspension, 12-point cage, K-member/A-arms/coil-overs, and "doing" the motor. Kenny ran 8.30s with his 5.0 in Outlaw before most cars were in the 9.00s, and I know that he will have an 8-second 03 Cobra in under 6 months if he wants to. I think there are a lot of you out there wondering if your car will be allowed in an 03 class if you do those things. Now is the time to speak up.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jamie

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welll let me see ;) HEADS UP YAA YAA :shocked
pro tree .500
nitro

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
I was one that was reluctant. Wasn't sure what to expect. But now im going to try to make it to more events and run my 03. Was cool to see you put them all together like ya did. What exactly are the rules for a convertible?? Thanks

gary

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fair & Fun 03 Racing

How does this sound for Classes

1. Stock Class. i.e. I still have a warrantee.
Drag Radials, exhaust, CAI, etc. ok. No Chips and pulleys

2. Bolt on#1
Drag radials, any Mod you make as along as Eaton Inside, T56 and IRS. Must be street legal and Running Pump gas. (93 Octane Max.)
It is not that expensive to have gas from 3 top finishers sampled and checked.

3. Bolt on#2
Drag radials, any Mod you make as along as Eaton Inside, & T56. Solid Axle, Slicks allowed and race gas ok. Must be street legal.

4. Stock Block Unlimited
Don't mod the motor internals, The Nitrous Pete Class. (Except No Nitrous Oxide) Slicks Allowed, Must be street legal.

5. Unlimited Modular.
the 8 second guys. Block must have same bore spacing, rod length etc as stock mod block, still be a door slammer, other than that, no rules.

Thoughts?

2003 Sonic Blue Mustang Cobra Coupe.
(Tucked away safe for winter)
Mods:

170 Deg Thermostat.
MM full length subs
QMP 3" 304 S/S exhaust With Cats
<http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24309&highlight=QMP+Exhaust>
Amazon Diablo 2 program w/ single burn street Chip
Amazon/ Razor 3.10 upper pulley
Royal Purple Lubes Everywhere
Water Wetter in Intercooler

BilletFlow Throttle Body
<http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.phpthreadid=25834>
Metco #2 lb & 4 lb lower pulley kit (Post Photos Later)
Metco 100mm upper pulley which I am in process of milling bracket to remove weight (Post Photos Later)
Reinforcing the Rear Seat delete kit for a kind of sweet big Retie/lab mix. (Post Photos Later with doggie installed)
Amazon Stage 1 Filter kit
Amazon Diablo 2 program race/street Chip
Denso Iridium plugs IT-20's
On order:
Gatorback belt # 4080790 (help me find!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike69440,

Good ideas. This is what I'm looking for. I think the way you have it outlined is very logical. However, remember that at the NMRA, we have as many as 300 OTHER heads-up cars and 300 bracket cars to run down the track EACH DAY, depending on the event. At the best, I think a sanctioning body could offer one dedicated heads-up/open comp 03 Cobra class.

Now, the Modular Shootout may be a different story, and Dave King may be able to round up enough sponsors to run 2-4 `03 classes.

I guess what I really need is for you to tell me what YOU would run in. What are you most interested in? Or, are most 03 owners going to drive there car to the race and watch? Which is fine, but I really need to know if I'm wasting my time with this class. For the record, I don't think that I am.

Keep it coming,
Jamie

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I do not believe you can please everyone.

If you are going to have one class, I think the following would be the best rules.

Must weigh 3200 lbs.
Any Ford Transmission
Factory Blower, no Nitrous allowed.
Chips, pulleys, exhuast all allowed.

Heads up

I know this knocks out the Kenne Bell guys, but there are only a handful with the Kenne Bell, versus the few thousand Cobra owners that still have the stock blower. The class needs to be designed so that the guys can be pretty competitive. If I had an 03 with a stock Eaton and a pulley, I would not want to have to run against a guy with a Kenne Bell.

My .02 Cent

What the NMRA REALLY needs is a heads up Modular class, with the exception of the good pistons and rods, the 03 Cobra is no different than any other blown modular car.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Hi Jamie

First off I want to say that its too bad that Joilet is on our dates, it would be nice to see you there since its in your backyard this year. For our 03 Cobra class we are doing a class that will allow the maximum amount of people to be competetive, and yet challenge the racer with the rules that we came up with.
Our rules go as follows.

1. Radial tires only, no drag radials, no slicks.
2. Stock blower only, no aftermarket blowers.
3. Stock tranmsissions only.
4. Stock engines only.
5. Stock electronics only. No aftermarket standalones, aftermarket EEC V chips are allowed.
6. No open headers, full exhaust past the axle are required.

These rules will keep cars close to the 12.0 range, and thus roll cages arent necessary. Guys wont get scared off neither. Plus the rules are pretty basic. It will be very hard for a 03 cobra to break into the 11's with these rules and doing it in the end of July. Big difference to 3500 feet and 1500 below (Fall Etown air)I'm sure theres some cars that will be able/already can run 11.7's in this trim when the air density is good. Rules and weather conditions combined with the purse will provide a large turnout.

This will certainly challenge a racer to get down the track because we're eliminating all the easy ways to make ET (AFtermarket blowers, Slicks, High stall converters, aftermarket computers, headwork, aftermarket cams). We're asking racers to find ways to get down the track in unconventional fashion, not just throw money at it. It's easy to turn a car over to someone like JDM, Amazon, or Larocca and let loose. These cars run good enough as they sit, let the savy guy have the gold. Tuning, driving, and suspension are the keys to this class.

Many racers wont be threatened by these rules because the rules eliminate the big boys. The guys like NItrous Pete can run 4vpa if they want to run big numbers.

Lastly we are doing a $3500 cash payout in this class. Theres no better incentive then money.

If you have a class that allows slicks, high stall speeds, Speed Pro, big blowers etc, you've eliminated 98% of the 03 owners. Only guys that had enough money to buy a 35k 03 Cobra and instantly turn it into a race car would run. What fun would a class like that be. Our goal is for the average guy, that owns a street car, find out how to run a good number in a challenging/realistic way.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
well, first of all i am a single voice that probably won't make more than two events. with that said, i think that the reason you see alot of '03's in the lot would be because with good tires and a few basic mods we are running faster than 11.99 which constitutes a cage at an NHRA track. i personally don't want a cage in my car because i spend very little time at a track with the exception of a large event. i assume most owners feel this way way, except for the hardcore racers such as in this forum. also i think that alot of owners feel they can't compete,because of not fully understanding rules of a class. i really can't give a good answer as to what to do but if we put some minds together hopefully we can come to a compromise.

matt

·
Registered
186 Posts
For the next year or two... Heads up!! When a 03 runs another 03... HEADS UP! One more time. Heads up!
Kinda like street racing, lets have some fun..
We have all had our sleds drug in the past. In a drag race anything can happen.. And if you are scared to run stay home..
It is so easy to make one of these things run there is no reason that anyone can't come out and let it rip!
This topic will have a ton of people on it telling this and that about what the rules should and should not be..
Then five cars will show!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave - sorry about the conflict. That's not my deal. In fact, I'll back off of doing anything trophy-wise for the 03s out of respect for your show. I don't want you to think that I am trying to grab racers from you. Actually, I was a little pissed when the schedules came out. I had planned on running your race, but my obligations to the NMRA are going to keep me from being there. But, for $3500 ..... LOL

Matt - really good point. The car is just too fast in some instances. And as the technology surrounding the 03 grows, it is only going to get easier to put a 10-second car together. Hell, that 10.0 run by Pete looked pretty darned easy. I know he worked for it, but come on.

Herman - I'll call you tomorrow.

Jamie

·
Registered
440 Posts
My goal for 2003

Is to get my ass tossed from NEDW for running 11.99 or a greasy track, street tires and pump gas.

If there is to be one class, it should be a no roll cage class. These are street cars.

Better yet, change the roll bar rule to 11.50 seconds.

Mike69440

·
400 Posts
The main thing is to show support for the class. NMRA has to see a good turn out at the events. If only 5 cars run each NMRA event it will be hard to justify adding a class. As far as class rules that's a tuff call. The guys that are out there trying to get every last hp out of there car and are trying for the 9's should recognized for there accomplishments. But also the guys that are doing the basic mods and want to race feel that don't have a chance and won't run. We need to find a way to make the people come out and support the class and feel good about the rules. This will be hard thing to do. Maybe we could have 2 sub classes withing the 03 cobra class kinda like we did at Bowling Green. Maybe a pro mod 03 and a street mod 03 classes with in the main class. Reynolds is coming up real soon and we need to show support so lets get down there.

Rick

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jamie,

Without writing a book about it, The best scenario would be 2 seperate classes. One for street tires, one for slicks and drag radials, all heads up format. Keep the street tire class, like what King is doing with the Modular Shootout, basic bolt-ons only. And the slick class, run what you brung.

The other way would be like what WFC is doing, open comp style. However, that is only bracket racing, which is boring. Heads up racing is what made the NMRA and Fun Ford so popular. However in heads up, certain restrictions and class rules will need to apply. My vote Heads up with 2 classes.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response, Jamie. Just got back from picking up my new Shadow Gray child.

One key element here is that the induction of a new NMRA class should, first and foremost, create a crowd pleaser. While being a part of the NMRA is a great experience from the 'behind-the-wheel' perspective, it must also be enticing and exciting for those thousands in the bleachers.

Another key element is the racer 'draw' factor. Bowling Green had a good turnout (especially considering how soon after Ford's release of the 03 Cobra the race was held). Bradenton had a weak racer turnout. What drew racers to Bowling Green and not to Bradenton? I believe that it had to do with the logistics problem and the 'last-minute' decision on the class. I think that people need time to plan a trip.

I also believe, Jamie, that if the NMRA goes with either your option 3 or option 4 then the racer support will be there. Organize an official "special class" and the level of excitement and draw to race greatly intensifies. For me and many of my good 03 Cobra friends, it's hard to miss out on an 03 Cobra class.

No matter what is done for the class - cash prizes, media coverage, strict modification rules...there will always be the bench warmers. I think that many simply have no interest in racing but love to feel a part of by attending events and bringing their 03 Cobras. There is no better place to receive compliments and recognition for your 03 Cobra than at an NMRA race.

There may be some who choose not to race due to the competition (aftermarket blowers, nitrous, tubbed and axled cars, etc). There may be some who will look at rules and decide that they have no chance of winning and abstain from racing. But I think that most 03 Cobra owners whom are inclined to race will do so despite knowlege of faster cars. Only one class racer wins. Does that make the class crap for the other racers? If that were the case, there would be no Drag Radial racers this season besides Chris Little (sorry, Jamie - I couldn't resist) ;)

The class should showcase the fast cars. The class should be a picture frame around the best in 03 Cobra evolution. This is in line with the purpose of the class to begin with: to honor Ford's greatest production Mustang ever in history. Look how Nitrous Pete ran a 10-oh and his car is still in perfect health and itching to go. The 03 Cobra is one STOUT machine. What are it's boundaries? Undetermined as of yet. This special class must encourage and celebrate these important factors.

If the rules mandated stock parts only you would end up with a field of cars all running 12s and 11s. And you shut out the 03 Cobra big dogs. You limit excitement for the fans. They want to see the 10 and 9 second cars. Ford and the SVT engineers love it too.

(BTW, Jamie got a very flattering letter from SVT that I will post in a new thread tomorrow when I have more time. 03 Cobra pride continues to grow and Jamie Meyer is our undisputed ring leader).

Back to the class thoughts: The stock Eaton cars can still run for 'mod-for-mod' ranks and bragging rights. They wouldn't look bad running against KB or Works-blown cars. During a race and in the tower, Jamie always makes a point to highlight a racer and car that is "fast for what it is". An Eaton car running a 10.99 is far more impressive than a KB or Works car running a 10.50. Jamie always makes sure that the fans are aware of these such elements. That's the announcer's job.

It would be a terrible shame to deprive the fans and the circuit of the best in 03 Cobra evolution. Additionally, who are the most probable racers in this special class? Those with the urge for extreme modifications! There are always exceptions to this rule (I won't mention the name that pops into my head) and I know there are guys with stock cars that are itchin' to line up. But NEVER rule out the loose cannons...they are the show stoppers.

And we can't ascertain the owners of upgraded blowers. The KB just came out and are selling like mad. Smart money says that this trend will continue.

The 03 Cobra is still very new but yet the aftermarket evolution is wide open. Only a heads-up class can capture and illustrate this excitement properly for the world to see. There are many 10-second cars now. They may not beat Nitrous Pete but they will hang respectuflly and show the world what the 'average Joe' can do with an 03 Cobra. They'll come and THERE is your show.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm glad you brought up the fact about the KB Hammer. After reading most of the posts I had the feeling that people with aftermarket blowers will not have a class to run in. I am new to the racing scene and i have done lots of mods to my car including the Kb blower, and I would love the chance to be able to run my car in an 03 class.

I have yet had the chance to attend any 03 races at either Bowling Green or Bradenton, mainly due to the fact that my car is not ready yet. But come spring and summer my car will be all ready to go and I look foward to the opportunity to be able to run it at he track in an 03 class. Altough my car may be capable of running low times, i still have to be capable to drive it to thoughs low times, but I look foward to the challenge.

But hopefully we can get a class that will allow guys w/ the KB and Works blower to have a class also. Like Hammer said, and i know from experience as a fan also and going to many events, the crowd wants to see the 9 and 10 sec cars also. It's nice to have a mix of both 11-12sec cars and then your 9-10sec cars. Thats what makes this so much fun :)
matt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is some great dialogue folks. And, thanks for the compliments Hammer and congrats on that new Cobra – you dog.

I guess we are already to the point where I thought we'd be in a couple of years: What defines the `03 Cobra? As Eric pointed out earlier, it can be a real slap in the face to the legions of "other" Modular racers if we go heads-up racing with the heavily-modded `03 Cobras.

We need to decide right now what a heads-up `03 Cobra has to have.

What is it that defines the `03 Cobra?

For me, it’s the Eaton blower, 6-speed, and IRS. But, if we started a heads-up class with those limitations and some sensible base weight, I would predict massive carnage from driveline components. Oh, the cars would probably run in the 9s with nitrous, but by the time the finals came around there’d be nothing left.

Where does the legend of the `03 Cobra end, and a blurred race version take over?

Thanks,
Jamie

P.S. I am planning special trophies/etc. for the 03 Cobra racers at Atco, Dallas, and Bowling Green. Plan your trips right NOW!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts