Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I had the JDM Heat Exchanger installed in the car this weekend, and it was a very nice, clean install. Everything was done right and I am very satisfied with the work. Thanks Shaun, Anthony and Jim!!!

Anyway, me and Jim had an idea while the car was on the dyno to test this thing out, BIG TIME. We ripped off THREE back to back runs within 10 minutes of each other....

Run#1. 453.04hp and 453.50tqe
Run#2. 451.91hp and 448.59tqe
Run#3. 448.09hp and 445.04tqe

Yea the car lost a bit of power, but can you BELIEVE ONLY LOSING 5rwhp and 8rwtq on three consecutive pulls within 10 minutes of each other. No ice on the blower, NOTHING.

This thing works guys, and it is beautiful seeing the FLUIDYNE on the silver H/E with my silver car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Awesome! They sure do look sweet sitting up front! Next time my car hits the dyno I will be doing a very similar test. I lost only one H/P at JDM when we did something similar to my car, back to back to back. With about 10 minutes inbetween the runs. :D It is a nice product. -Mat-

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I see it help with the heat soak. Did it improve your hp on a cooler engine. Just wondering if it only helps on consecuative runs or if their was improvement to start with as well. Looks like a sweet piece!!! Definately see one in my future.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really a horsepower "booster" per se, but a horsepower "saver" I would call it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I think it's a must for any serious modder. Just be happy you can go over and have them do it for you!!! It's a long drive for me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trust me, I am happy!!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don't think the dyno test shows anything. I've probably seen over 50 03 cobras on the dyno, and they don't loose much power at all on consecutive pulls. Typically 2-8HP, so that's within range.

If you really wanted to do a test, monitor your IAT data and compare it before and after. I agree the heat exchanger is a good piece, but I don't think you can logically conclude anything from that dyno test.

Brian

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence bjherron!!!! Just kidding, I hear what you are saying, I'll try that next....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Just giving you a hard time :)

Have you thought about a trunk mounted ice box to pass the fluid thru? I've done that on several other liquid IC cars, and it really does help a lot.

Brian

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
SolidSnake, wondering if it help with boost drop off?? I loose about 2-3 lbs of boost above 5000 rpms. Have you noticed before and after boost senarios?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Where is JDM? Do you have an pics of the exchanger? I was looking at that and the Fluidyne exchanger. Not sure if it is the same piece. Is the install straight forward? And what do they use to tune? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
JDM is in Freehold, NJ. About 10 mintues from Englishtown. They tune with Superchips. The install on the H/E is pretty time consuming right now, as it is not a simple bolt and requires modifying the bumper support. -Mat-

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Heat Exchanger install took about 30-40 minutes!!!! Everything was all there ready for me to go..... The Fluidyne is the same as the JDM Heat Exchanger, but JDM does a SWEET Custom install at the shop. Call ahead, tell them you want the H/E install and they will have everything ready to go!!! Trust me, it's worth it.

I haven't seen any boost drop off, but I am only running a 2.93 upper, and I don't have a gauge, so anything is possible. It's just too funny watching that poor gauge pegged all the time.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
what did they charge you for the install. Usually i do all my installs myself. But since i just got this car maybe im better off. Do you need a tune right after?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Man, U all weird.

I see u all at the other site & u give Donald no Love.

Come into this site & he gets alot of Love?

:jawdrop :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Has JDM come out with a HE kit that you can order. Or are they just doing in house installs only. If they do have a kit, any idea on the price.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure about a "kit" per se, but try to give them a call at the shop 732-780-0770. They are very helpful to everyone. I would think you can do this in your driveway if you had the bumper support already modified (notched) to accept the larger Fluidyne unit so ground clearance is the same.

You do not need a tune to install the Heat Exchanger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts