Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After laboring over what my retirement project car was going to be for months, I took the advice of my younger brother (who I'm sure was just sick of me talking his ear off about a project, only to talk myself out of it)- "Just build something".
I decided that the next vehicle, however outlandish, that presented itself would be that something. A few days later, my phone rings, and it's an ex coworker of mine, looking to sell the 95 Lincoln Towncar his grandmother had left him when she passed. It hadn't moved in 5yrs (I was actually the last one to drive it, he needed to borrow my truck, so we swapped for a weekend)- So "Doris" (his late grandmother's name- I figured it was only fitting) came into my possession.

It actually fired right up, and other than the upper radiator hose being under pressure instantly (I suspect it has a blown headgasket, or a crack somewhere, as it didn't have much in the way of protection during the deep freeze we had here in Texas this last year) ran great, and surprisingly doesn't overheat (although you can smell coolant during a cold start). The initial plan was to LS swap it, and do "drag and drive" events with it, but trying to find a reasonably priced LS in my area proved to be a lot more difficult than anticipated, and the longer it took, the longer I had to second guess the decision of doing a bellybutton swap. I actually did find a 6 liter, but the junkyard insisted they pull it ( i wanted everything, wiring accessories etc), but when I went to pick it up, the story changed from "ran good, just gets a little warm" to "oh, i thought I told you it was locked up", along with EVERY. SINGLE, THING. I asked to be included, being missing and/ or destroyed. Still trying to get my money back on that one.

Driving home after the Escalade fiasco, I got to thinking about maybe just working with what I had, or at least keeping it Ford powered. I did some Googling, and started browsing Ebay (very dangerous), and decided I would 3v swap the 4.6. I ordered a set of coyote rods, a set of used 4v pistons, a billet oil pump gear, and... a dual quad holley sniper fabricated manifold. The plan is a homage to the factory racers of the early 60's, complete with manual trans, low gears (I'm thinking somewhere between 4:30 and 4:88), white steel wheels, and a motor that looks like it was from the era. And before anyone mentions it, yes I do realize that this is NOT the fast way down the track. I am fully aware that even with a "lumpy by huge" set of cams, flawless tuning, perfect weather, and the sacrifice of a goat to the old gods- this thing isn't going to make anywhere near enough power to make the car fast. I am perfectly fine with "quicker than it ought to be", "idles like a coffee can full of rocks", and "sounds amazing at 7k, too bad we're not going that fast". I am doing this simply because the parts exist to do so, and no one has- which seems like a bit of a shame to me.

So far I have managed to acquire coyote rods, two sets of pistons (I have gotten mixed info about running the ridiculous cam-Comp Cams 127650, fitting with flat tops, so I picked up a set of 3v factory jobs with the valve reliefs, just in case), Billet oil pump gears, 3v water crossover (07 mustang), heads (2010 f150- I actually managed to mess up my back pulling these yesterday, hence why I'm sitting here typing this), Intake (I think Holley is closing these out through their Ebay store's "scratch and dent" section, so I picked one up while they were available and cheap), and valve covers. And at this current point, I officially have more invested in this than an overpriced LS would have cost,

I still need to acquire the Timing cover (seems to be a few on ebay), carburetors, cams, springs, followers, gaskets, some sort of plug for the VCC solenoids, timing set with gears that won't self destruct at 7k, headbolts, some means of controlling spark (can the factory computer be "taught" to ignore the fueling?) and a bunch of other things I'm sure I am forgetting (or willfully omitting in a vain attempt to convince myself I am closer to having all the parts than I really am).

The transmission is going to be a TR3650, and the rear end is going to be a 31 spline conversion on the current 8.8, and by my estimates, the carbs will be completely on the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it) side of the hood. The plan is to get the heads stripped down, and sent off somewhere for CNC porting as soon as limited mobility and funds allow. Feel free to chime in with suggestions and/ or criticism. Ain't like I'm going anywhere for a while lol.

·
Registered
2003 Azure blue Mach 1. Built and Boosted
46 Posts
look up 50tussin on Youtube. He has a Lincoln Towncar named "Love Boat" he has dragged race amongst other projects. He's kinda entertaining too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts