Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the effects of deleting the thermostat would be. Are there any clear advantages to this? Obviously the car would warm up to temp significantly slower circulating to the radiator once started. Would it be helpful/make more HP making a pass at 150* as opposed to 180-190?? What would be the downside(s) of this? Or is this simply the worst idea ever ??:rofl2: The car is still a street/strip weekend toy......Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you upgrade the cooling system, this won't be of much benefit. The engine won't run cooler overall, just takes longer to get to operating temp. And as long as the engine isn't warm, it is running a little worse for wear and mileage like Eric mentioned.

Not the worst idea in the world, but there is no benefit.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
What are you guys talking about "it will run cool". If you delete the thermostat the car will overheat very quickly. The fluid will not spend enough time in the radiator to pull heat out of it.

--Joe

·
Banned
1,877 Posts
The thermostat in these cars is designed as such to redirect the coolant through the radiator when the coolant is hot. Without it the pump will end up moving fluids primarily through the bypass, not the radiator, which may cause issues. That's just my 0.02 cents though.

eiu88gt, IMHO, spend a couple bucks and buy a 180 t-stat. If you need a 180 degree thermostat I have one on the shelf. Pay my shipping and handling and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are you guys talking about "it will run cool". If you delete the thermostat the car will overheat very quickly. The fluid will not spend enough time in the radiator to pull heat out of it.

--Joe
I have to respectfully disagree. :naww:

I understand your theory and concern, and agree with you that it is not the best idea ever, but real life is far from theoretical.
Have you forgotten that our cars have electric radiator fans that only run when temperatures command it, and can be adjusted by any tuner. I live in Texas, and drive in the 100+ degree heat all the time, with 0 issues.

My car hasn't had a Thermostat in it for a long time, and has never "overheated".
It takes it about 3 extra minutes to come to normal temp, but I use German Castrol Syntec 0w, so I doubt that my cold oil is hurting my performance.

My only concern about not running a thermostat is that the added flow + my head cooling mod may cause premature heater core failure, which is already a problem with mustangs in general.

(This post is not meant to offend or personally attack; just give another view on the subject)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

--Joe
Soap you are correct. If you remove the t-state then you will not be able to hold the water in the radiator long enough to get cool and the car will over heat. Now in a race only application they make restrictor plates that replace your t-state however that is only for racing and not meant for daily commuting

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. :naww:

I understand your theory and concern, and agree with you that it is not the best idea ever, but real life is far from theoretical.
Have you forgotten that our cars have electric radiator fans that only run when temperatures command it, and can be adjusted by any tuner. I live in Texas, and drive in the 100+ degree heat all the time, with 0 issues.

My car hasn't had a Thermostat in it for a long time, and has never "overheated".
It takes it about 3 extra minutes to come to normal temp, but I use German Castrol Syntec 0w, so I doubt that my cold oil is hurting my performance.

My only concern about not running a thermostat is that the added flow + my head cooling mod may cause premature heater core failure, which is already a problem with mustangs in general.

(This post is not meant to offend or personally attack; just give another view on the subject)
Uhmmm I'll be the one waving the flag on this one.. There is no way what so ever that your coolant can slow down long enough to cool down so regardless of what you think the job of the fans are they can not do their job if the coolant is not in the radiator long enough for the fans to draw enough air over it to cool down! You might want to check your information because it is wrong. It is not possible, logic would dictate this to anyone who knows how the coolant system works on any car. Now…… If you have a restrictor plate in place of the t-state then it may be possible but to just plain remove it will not work

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
LMMFAO @ WOMACK!!!!!!!

You're so full of it bubba!

·
Registered
10 Posts
LMMFAO @ WOMACK!!!!!!!

You're so full of it bubba!
What exactly am I full of?

My car cools effectivly without a t-stat. As I stated before, I understand fully, the cooling systems of our cars, and am not debating the fact that running no t-stat is unorthadox.

I meerly gave you my personal expierence, take it or leave it.
Prove me wrong. Show me a personal (non 3rd party) example where your 2003 whipple cobra overheated due to not having a t-stat.

This is another one of those examples of theory trumping reality. I am human, and thus falable, but I gave a personal example, and PSR and Bill want to tell me that my reality is false, and question my intelect. Do I know everything; NO, but my car has been doing just fine with no t-stat for quite awile now. I am in no way implying that everyone should run to their cars and immediatly remove their t-stat, but I do know that my 180* t-stat got stuck in the closed possition, and nearly cost me a motor.

"Don't spray nitrous with whipples, it will cause the rotor coating to fail!!!!!!!!"
Yet there are numerous whipple owners spraying the shit out of their cars with no problems.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I like your style. I may do this rather than running sans t-stat. This would quell my concerns about flow rates damaging my heater core.

Thanks for the innovation.:good:
That trick is at least 40 years old. ;)

Reactions: mercenvy_3114

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It has been my experience (of 19 years of working on cars professionally) and the experience of every dealer ship I have ever worked at in my life. That you need to hold the coolant in the radiator in order draw the air around the hot coolant in order to cool the coolant down then when the motor reached the stated temperature set forth by the thermostat that it will then open forcing the fresh coolant in to the motor and talking the hot coolant out of the motor to the radiator where it would be trapped so the fans can draw cool air around it in order to cool the coolant down do it can repeat the possess again .

If you have remove your t state and it does not over heat then you don’t drive your car much or quite possibly you are one of the most luckiest people I have ever heard of however to offer that as a fix or as advice on this forum is wrong. We do not give out incorrect advice on how to band aid your car together. And I personally don’t recommend this to anyone trying to fix an over heating problem. However it is your car so do as you wish

My advice would be to do the following.
Remove your current thermostat
Then take a rather small drill bit 9/64th and drill 2 holes on the outer rim of the thermostat 180* apart. This prevents air to be trapped on top pf the thermostat not allowing the thermostat to open, thus causing over heating. Then open your expansion tank and remove the cross over plug. I then want you to fill the entire motor from the cross over plug you will see the expansion tank begin to fill when you reach the desired level in the expansion tank re-place the cap on the tank and continue to fill the the cross over pipe until you can no longer put any more coolant in the pipe then re install the plug. That is the proper way to fill and the little tricks I have done to insure that there is no air in the system. And the car never over heats. I live in Phoenix AZ and yesterday was 115* so I am quite sure if it works here it will work where ever you are at as well

Good luck and keep us posted on what the out come is if you need me to go in to more detail then please call me 602 269 8955

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
Oldie but a goodie.

How is Louise doing?
She'll be hitting the road as soon as HPP sends me the remaining parts that I STILL haven't received.
I'll send ya some pics when I get it done.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Removing a thermostat can cause issues in SOME cars because the water pump gets out on its curve and cavitates, creating air pockets and localized hot spots. The stat only "holds" water in the radiator during warm-up. Once the stat opens, it rarely ever closes back off unless the set temperture is very high or the weather is very cold.

The cooling system is a closed circuit. Heat removal actually goes up with flowrate, until a theoretical saturation point is reached. You have to keep in mind that the time spent in the radiator equals time spent in the engine: any extra cooling time in the radiator is extra heating time in the engine.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Removing a thermostat can cause issues in SOME cars because the water pump gets out on its curve and cavitates, creating air pockets and localized hot spots. The stat only "holds" water in the radiator during warm-up. Once the stat opens, it rarely ever closes back off unless the set temperture is very high or the weather is very cold.

The cooling system is a closed circuit. Heat removal actually goes up with flowrate, until a theoretical saturation point is reached. You have to keep in mind that the time spent in the radiator equals time spent in the engine: any extra cooling time in the radiator is extra heating time in the engine.
Oh dear sweet baby Jesus
tell me you are joking

1 - 20 of 31 Posts