·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
521 Posts
Jim,
that looks like a nice setup. What kind of price we talking? What kind of subframes are those? Thats not your car is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's looks awesome for a set of slicks and traction... No more wheel hop huh :blob

Also looks like you have quite a bit of custome work in there, Not exactly a bolt on...

Nice :)

p.s. Let us know how much you 60' and 1/4 times improved, Seems intresting :evil

·
Registered
24 Posts
that's edslowey from svtperformance.....full Griggs setup, Viper spec T-56, Baer brakes

·
Registered
438 Posts
JB said:
that's edslowey from svtperformance.....full Griggs setup, Viper spec T-56, Baer brakes
Very nice set up. Isn't that more of a road race set up? I was wondering why he didn't go with the double torque arm? I have seen the single break on hi HP cars with hard launches!! Maybe they have improved the single since I had that set up on my 95.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: Re: Thinking Solid Axle>>>

Xplicit said:
....wonder if swapping with a GT owner is another possible route to take or more of a headache.
Hey Franco, that is probably the easiest and and much cheaper way of doing it. I talked to Jimmy V about that also. Just put both cars on a lift at the same time and swap over whatver needs to be changed on both cars. If i were to go this routs, thats how I would probably do it.
Matt

G

·
that would be your best bet Franco. And you can do it in an afternoon probably.

Harry
2003 Cobra(100 % stock now)

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
A few people suggested just buying the rear end that is in the Ford Motorsport catalog. I think its around $800

That would get you rolling, but realistically I would want 31 spline axles and maybe a locker. Upper and Lower control arms as well. If you buy a new rear, then sell your IRS you will probably come out alot better.

I put a search on a complete rear axle assembly at all the salvage yard my father uses (We own a large body shop). They have yards all over the place, and they found one, but wanted $1000 for it.

If you can settle for a older rear end, like alot of people do, its easier to find someone to swap, or to find the used part and build your own rear pretty cheap. I just wanted to do it "right" and use a 99 up GT rear end.

G

·
Makes sense to me Eric. Thats the way I like to do things too.

Hot Rod(Like the Hong Kong Phooey Avatar)Harry
Not sure how to spell the Phooey part :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmmm........the problem that I see with the straight swap from a GT is the strength. I wouldn't think that it would hold up with some of the torque the 4 valves are putting out.

Ben

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
My solid axle is going in this week. Here is how my build up went

99+ solid axle (used) 31 spline T-Lok, Superior Axles, and 4.56s

$700

FRPP 3.73's $150
Bassani BX GT catback $450
X2C motorsports Upper and lower control arms $150
X2C motorsports rear coilover w/ lakewood 50/50s $ 250

That's $1700

Selling IRS for $1600 (internet classifieds)
Sold Mac catback locally for $300

I should have everything on this week and make some passes on Friday night. I'll let you know how different it is. My best pass to date is a 12.07 @ 118, mostly because I'm scared to break a hlaf shaft...I won't have that excuse anymore :blob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts