Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hell ya, Would love to run. if they have a class, keep it simple
IRS, Stock motor, must be stock. Pulleys, trans, gears, blowers, exh, headers, whatever all OK.
Must keep the stock rear! IRS , there was only one car that had it removed , Its Gone now, He no longer has the car.
If they open up to straight axle they will ruin it !!!
I know 6 people who will go if they keep irs.
Nitrous pete
oh Pro tree. no dial.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Emails from Jamie Meyers:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm on it Rich.
We may just have to make it an all-run class (as we did in Bowling Green) just so we don't have to take up time teching in cars.
Do you want to run in an any-thing-goes heads-up class for `03 Cobras at Bradenton?
Thanks,
Jamie

Ham,
This may be the best direction for right now. The cars are just not sorted out, and we don't have a real race following. If we go all-run, the crowd may surprise us. Make it a trophy class - for fun - and to just show off those `03s.

Let me try that tomorrow with James/NMRA.

Did you get a KB, yet? You better be careful! lol

Jamie

(In reference to ModularFords.com)

Ham,
I'm a regular there. I just read. The progress with the cars is promising, and I'll be interested to see what you do with the KB.

As for the heads-up class. There won't be an index. It's race what you got against the next guy and let's see who can get there first. Heads-up! This will be the only year that that will work.

Keep up the good work,
Jamie

Jamie has answered all the posted questions in these statements. He's behind us with the 03 Cobra event 100%. If there is ANY WAY to make it happen, he'll do it.

And there will be no rules, for the reasons he listed.

No final word yet. If I hear, I will post immediately.

Rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
have yet to hear back on my lastest inquiry to NMRA on this...hoping for something tomorrow..will also let you know asap

Linn

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will be there if they have an '03 class. Otherwise, I will not.

If we have a "Run what you Brung" class, heads-up, that's cool. But if we are going to make it a class where everyone can compete, we need to have at least some general rules for the first few events.

Stock motor, stock blower (aftermarkets haven't been made publicly available to everyone yet), any pulley setup, IRS rear end, stock transmission, any exhaust (must have mufflers), any headers, a minimum weight, all legal equipment for your times (we can't overlook safety just because these cars are new), and perhaps a slick (or ET Steet, etc) class, and a separate class for those with radials (drag radials included).

As I said, I'd be willing to put up prize money as well.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Email from Dr. Jamie tonight:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rich,

I just got back from Syracuse - wedding reception.
Both Rick Amazon and Pete left messages.
I'm still after the management at NMRA, but I keep missing them.
I'll try to call you this week.
Jamie

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He's keeping us in the loop and doing all he can. We can't ask for any more than that. As soon as I hear, I will post.

And it's great that we all have a 'united front' with the NMRA on this.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hmmm,

A class with no rules or no class at all?

I see Jaime's point of not having the tech time to allocate to enforcing rules, but I don't see my car being competitive with the NOS or straight axle guys.

I like Rob and Pete's rules, although I'd like to add no NOS (or a seperate class) and minimum weight 3570 no driver( does that sound like a typical '03? ).

Is there a way someone or some group '03 affilliated could enforce the non safety related rules compliance with a set of rules we can all agree on, or is that a wild pipe dream?

Obvioulsy it would be hard for any competitor to be in charge of tech.

JT

·
Registered
352 Posts
what we are battling at this point are time issues..with the addition of the new Wild Street class it is adding time..alot of the tracks have to be done running by a certain time at night..Jamie is trying to find a way to fit us in and still be able to deal with the time issue..

I am not giving up hope...

Linn

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
You're right, JT. And I think that, if the event happens and there is support like there was at BG, Jamie will continue to lobby for an 03 class for us. I think he intends to set up rules and structure in good time, if things develop.

But given the choice of "heads-up, anything goes...first one to the other side wins" versus no race at all...I'd take the "run what you brung" option. The completely hacked race cars will dominate but we can still be a part of and have fun.

Jamie has stated that the cars are "not sorted out yet" and that also supports his idea with the heads-up class.

Also, there will be qualifying runs and a ladder will be setup so as to best match up modded cars. I would think that the all-out race cars will get lots of bye-runs until finals. This would still allow the mod-for-mod dominators to demonstrate their superiority (like you, JT) by slicing through eliminations and dispatching of the inferior.

:D :D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Way2Wild said:
what we are battling at this point are time issues..with the addition of the new Wild Street class it is adding time..alot of the tracks have to be done running by a certain time at night..Jamie is trying to find a way to fit us in and still be able to deal with the time issue..

I am not giving up hope...

Linn
Hey Linn: Have you ever considered that Wild Street class? I wonder how a heavily modded 03 would do there... If I am correct, those cars must drive a 30-mile road course and then race without opening their hoods. You can change tires but you can't pop your hood between the road course and eliminations. The idea is to sort out any all-out race cars that would over-heat on the road course. In the Fun Ford, these cars typically run 11's and high 10's...with some exceptions to the rule.

I think that an 03 Cobra would be more competitive in that class than it would in brackets - especially with a dialed-in twin screw. Could definately make semi-finals.

Damn, I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Guess we'll see how they run come Bradenton. Any thoughts?

G

·
WELL, THE TIME RESTRICTION IS A NON ISSUE AT BRADENTON. A FEW TIMES A MONTH THEY HAVE WHATS CALLED CLUB 1320, WHERE THEY RACE UNTIL LIKE 3AM. I DONT THINK THAT THE TIME PART WOULD MATTER FOR BRADENTON

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rich...

I havent decided yet which one is going to be best for me...I was going to try that class with my 96 but you make some very valid points for trying it with the 03...but it is a limited class only being offered at some of the events and
also does not have a points system..I think there will be alot of 8 and 9 sec cars in it...

Vic..

maybe there is hope afterall then :)

Linn

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wild Street racing will be conducted at five of the NMRA drag racing events (Columbus, Joliet, Maple Grove, Dallas, Bowling Green).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts