Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to tenessee to visit a friend throwout bearing came apart 250 miles from tenn. took out my clutch n flywheel also. Throwout bearing is a press in design so i got a new flywheel clutch n tranny,the thing is ive been telling my dealer from day one about the noisy throwout bearing.back home now but the bearing is acting up again... Ahhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Unbelievable! I sympathize with your problems. You gotta LOVE Ford service. It's like a bad case of the Clap!

keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about yout TOB. Did you get it fixed near where it happened, or back here at the "Usual" place?

Did they give you any crap about the CB? I guess your glad you don't have a pulley...

JT

·
Registered
87 Posts
junglehyped said:
went to tenessee to visit a friend throwout bearing came apart 250 miles from tenn. took out my clutch n flywheel also. Throwout bearing is a press in design so i got a new flywheel clutch n tranny,the thing is ive been telling my dealer from day one about the noisy throwout bearing.back home now but the bearing is acting up again... Ahhhhhhhhhhh :mad:
It's not the TOB that came apart, it's the TOB retainer. The stock Ford steel TOB eats into the retainer if left alone long enough, and then the retainer goes. Hit this thread if you want more info (you're going to need it when your warranty expires):

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55478&highlight=tob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aiieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

you are absolutly right it was the retainer i just dont get 2 weeks from the new one and its doing it again....f..in amazing:rolleyes:
lol looks like this is a common problem I wish ford would fix it ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops...

what i meant earlier in my post is the throwout bearing input shaft sleeve is a press in design they told my they dont just sell the sleeve so they gave me a whole new tranny...jaysus what a mess it was i got stuck in tennesee for 2 weeks .......JT the dealer in tennesee did the work it was covered but i wouldnt recomend them they lost my clutch boot and said it wasnt there which is a load of crock.....all fixed but like i said 2 weeks and the bearing is squeeling again...
:(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: oops...

junglehyped said:
what i meant earlier in my post is the throwout bearing input shaft sleeve is a press in design they told my they dont just sell the sleeve so they gave me a whole new tranny...jaysus what a mess it was i got stuck in tennesee for 2 weeks .......JT the dealer in tennesee did the work it was covered but i wouldnt recomend them they lost my clutch boot and said it wasnt there which is a load of crock.....all fixed but like i said 2 weeks and the bearing is squeeling again...
:(
Keep taking it back to the dealer as long as they will fix it. When thay start giving you crap about it, don't worry too much. The big problem areas (the ones that SEEM to be causeing the failures) are the release fork ($28), stock quadrant ($70 or so), retainer ($56), and, of course, the stock TOB (composite TOB is $50). I replaced those components on my car, and so far, so good.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Re: oops...

NetworkingGuru said:
Keep taking it back to the dealer as long as they will fix it. When thay start giving you crap about it, don't worry too much. The big problem areas (the ones that SEEM to be causeing the failures) are the release fork ($28), stock quadrant ($70 or so), retainer ($56), and, of course, the stock TOB (composite TOB is $50). I replaced those components on my car, and so far, so good.
Guru:

Question for you. I have the replacement retainer from D&D that you pointed everybody to. I was thinking about having a machinist cut off the portion that the retainer slides on (mild steel I believe) and weld back on chrome moly steel and then coat the whole thing w/ the same low-friction coating on aftermarket piston skirts.. whaddaya think? I know grease is the desired lubricating medium, I'm trying to come up w/ a relatively low cost permanent solution here in the event of more TOB issues.. just tossing out ideas. I am trying to avoid another disassembly of the tranny to replace another retainer. If this worked and I had another TOB issue then hopefully its just a matter of removing the tranny to get to the TOB but no R&R of the T56 itself.

Jerry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Re: Re: oops...

Jerry said:
Guru:

Question for you. I have the replacement retainer from D&D that you pointed everybody to. I was thinking about having a machinist cut off the portion that the retainer slides on (mild steel I believe) and weld back on chrome moly steel and then coat the whole thing w/ the same low-friction coating on aftermarket piston skirts.. whaddaya think? I know grease is the desired lubricating medium, I'm trying to come up w/ a relatively low cost permanent solution here in the event of more TOB issues.. just tossing out ideas. I am trying to avoid another disassembly of the tranny to replace another retainer. If this worked and I had another TOB issue then hopefully its just a matter of removing the tranny to get to the TOB but no R&R of the T56 itself.

Jerry
Jerry,

I think that's a good idea, except for maybe the teflon (ever seen what happens when you scrub a teflon pan with a knife?). However, I really don't see how the composite TOB could possibly eat into a new retainer. Time will tell, I am running the composite TOB on a new retainer right now, and I drive 25K+ miles per year, so I should know soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for some insight ...

believe me i will coninue to take it back until they get it right !!!lol so far i have got a new rear ,cuase it was leaking from day one,a new driveshaft,fualty brakes,new tranny,flywheel clutch n throw out bearing ,amizing the little bastard scored my flywheel when it came apart..lol anyways now i got the damn tic ...lol im run this bitch into the ground ...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts