Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came across this site today - I see the vast majority seem to be Mustangs. Any other Thunderbirds out there? Putting some more finishing touches on my 95 - PI heads, forged rods & pistons and cobra crank, Vortech, Lentech AOD - looking for some good information on these cars besides the usual dress-up stuff on most other sites. Just looking to see what others are doing with these cars.

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember TCCoA back when he was calling it BirdCats and hatching his plan of making money on $40/year memberships - no offense intended to anyone, but I don't agree with making so much personal profit off what I've always figured we all did mostly for the fun and comaraderie, etc. Maybe things have changed over there over the years, but I still think it's a shame to use a car club as a cash cow. Just my worthless opinion, but at least you didn't have to pay $40 to read it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand your point but the info is free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd start with 3.73's, a looser converter, and after that it depends on how much you want to spend. The biggest prolem with modding the engine is hood clearance with the intake. A Mustang style intake won't fit without some type of cowl hood, but other than that and the oil pan, the engine's the same as the Mustang. JBA and Kooks make headers. I used to run a
NOS setup that was good for 13's - hoping to get 11's with the new blown setup. If handling is more what you're after, I've had good luck with Koni yellows, H&R's, and Addco 1 3/8 swaybars, and SSBC 13" brakes. The parts and info are out there if you're willing to wade through all the BS - I'd be interested to know how you make out. You can also check out www.mn12performance.com and www.supercoupeperformance.com

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bill, A Mustang motor will drop in without any mods to the stock hood as I have done a bunch. The 94-5 wiring will need to be re-worked a little to compensate for the different locations of the upper intake components and you would need a 96-7 MN12 fuel rail, EGR tube, and install the dash temp sensor in the coolant flow as well as some other stuff. On the swaps I do I like to use a TEE for the dash temp sensor into the heater core hose and make sure the sensor body is grounded because the 94-5's share the Alum manifold. If it's a motor swap your looking into I can go deeper on the differences with the Stang motors. The 94-5's are a bit more tricky then swapping a newer 4.6 into a 96-7 MN12 and the trick for the 94-5 guys is to find a salvage '01 Explorer motor as they are much eaiser to install in the 94-5 MN12's.

Doug, your first plan of attack would be to flush your trans fluid and fill up with Mercon V and add a external Trans cooler if you have not done so already. The 94-5 4R70W trans are the worst of the bunch so don't bother having it rebuilt when it's time. Call Reinhart Performance (904)-276-5003 in Fla and get one of his built transmissions along with his beefed up 2800 stall TC.
The last '95 MN12 build I did cost the customer a little over 14 grand but it sure was sweet. You can look over my cardomain site to see all the retarded stuff I have done to my '94 Cat. I also have a '98 mark VIII that has a Kenne Bell blower waiting on the sidelines to be installed. If you guys are near GA you should plan on attending the Southeren Super Heavyweight Shootout (SSHS #3) being held at the Atlanta dragway on Nov 8th. It a race of cars 3,800+ and last year was a blast. It's billed as a Ford Vs Chebbie thing and there will be some very fast cars this year.

SSHS #3
Saturday November 8, 2003

Atlanta Dragway
500 E. Ridgeway Road
Commerce, Georgia 30529
(706) 335-2301 (770) 682-3782

FrankenCougie's Car domain site

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott
Thanks for the tips - I already have a built Romeo with PI top half, didn't have any problems swapping it in, but any info about the difficulties you've run into would be interesting to read. I've always had a cowl hood, so I'll take your word on the intake fitting under a stock 94-95. I'm just going by what Kenny Brown etc have told me, plus the fact that they changed the hood for 96 when they put on the Stang-type intake. Good point about the trans, too - I barely got 70K out of it before I dumped it for the Lentech AOD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well my 95 Tbird just died at the local Food Lion. MY wife told me to get rid of it. It was towed to the local dealer. I am torn between modding it and making it a great performing car or buying a Lincoln LS.

Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 94 sounds a little on the beginner side compared to you guys thunderbirds, I just have the basic bolt ons. My quickest time is 15.42. I HAVE to get a better converter next. It seems to me that the engine parts are there it is the supporting hardware that we are lacking. Check out my site thunderbirdperformance.net for some much needed hard parts. As youll see the site is still in the very early stages of construction but you can see where im trying to head with it. Drop me a line at [email protected] for any suggestions or comments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts