Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy after reading posts at other websites about ticking engines, I'm a little worried. Another owner of a 2003 Cobra had a ticking noise and this was the result: " My service ticket notes excessive cam bearing wear. I was told the reason for this is that the oil ducts through the left head are too small. and since the left head is toward the end of the oil route before re-entering the pan, the lubricated parts are "starved" for oil. The new head that was installed has improved oil duct design so that there should now be adequate oil supply to the lubricated parts on the left head." I have just over 1000 miles on my 2003 Cobra. At this point I have no ticking sound, my car was manufactured in December 2002. I changed the oil the first time at 800 miles and used the Ford blend 5-20w. I was planning on using the same oil at 3000 miles, then at 5000 miles going to Mobile 1 5-30w. So this is what I really need to know is if there will be a big difference in 5-20 or 5-30. I don't want to use the Ford blend since my understanding is that after a few years, the dino oils gum up the inside of the engine and synthetic doesn't, thanks, Doc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good high detergent dino oil will not gum up an engine. I had 160k on a 91 LX and the engine was nice and clean with no noises using dino 10w40 changed every 3k miles. I would probably still be driving that car if someone hadn't t-boned it on me. I'm using the Ford blend 5w20 in my '03 changed at 500, 1,500, and 3000 miles. No tick so far with just over 5000 on it (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
721 Posts
venomousSonic03 said:
Can someone please tell me what TTT means. I see it all the time and Im really am tired of wondering. ( non computer junkie )
Don't feel bad! Until about a year ago I didn't know what it meant either! It's a forum abbreviation for "To The Top". Just another way of getting the original post moved back up the list.

U.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts