Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this is the new tech place to be...:D

I put the timing adjuster on the car a couple of weeks ago. I've torqued it correctly, and I've watched it spin with no wobble or play, so it appears to be on correctly. I've had Check Engine lights at 15° and 14° due to P030X (where X is a cylinder number) in pairs, i.e. 3 & 7. I reset the computer and backed down to 13°, so we'll see how it reacts to this. It's an '02 engine and a '96 computer. Are there people out there with a timing adjuster in the 14°-16° range and no Check Engine light? It runs well at 14° and 15°, but the Check Engine light makes me nutty. Basically, I'm just looking to be sure this is normal. What are your experiences?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have seen the bolt bottom out in the crank. Remove bolt and see if it is bottoming out. If so shorten the bolt some.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you know it's torqued properly and the distance between the reader and wheel is correct, and your using 93 octane, then I would have to blame the computer!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I used the bolt that came with the adjuster, which was longer than the stock Ford bolt by approximately the width of the adjuster mount. I'm thinking it's just the computer. I've had it at 13° since Monday night, and no Check Engine light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Make sure the distance from the Sensor to the timing wheel is in spec.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TUFFPNY said:
Make sure the distance from the Sensor to the timing wheel is in spec.
It is. Still no light at 13°. It's just the computer being finicky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the same codes(misfire cyl. 7&3) on my 99GT after installing the steeda TA,set to 14deg...I just cleared the code and it hasnt reset yet...maybe 500 miles?? :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried it back at 14° after a week at 13°. It's been a few weeks since the change and no lights. I think the computer needed time to get used to the change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've gotten into habit of always setting the ta back to 10* whenever I make any change, including plugs. Then turn it up 2* every other day until I get into the 14-16* range. Luckily, it'll be back on 10* tomorrow :evil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts