Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Timing Adjuster

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  351c.i.d 
#1 ·
Any input? Install? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks,
Charles

#4 ·
Re: Re: Timing Adjuster

Ralph Greene said:
The idea of blindly adding timing all across the RPM range doesn't appeal to me much.

However, with a custom tune (chip or reflash), one can add timing only in the RPM range where it adds power.
Ralph, If the Mach1 has 10degrees timing like the N/A Cobra's and GT's a timing Adjuster set @ 14degrees would help a lot..
Most of the power increase in N/A Stock Modulars come from this timing advance and not too much from the fuel curve..
One of the best running N/A Modular GT's i know has just a timing adjuster set @ 14..The car is Chipless.
My own 96Cobra when N/A also did very well with setting Timing adjuster @14 degrees.After that custom tuneing netted very little increase.
I don't think chip tuners are going to tell you this..
Ask Jake ,,,He will tell you..

#5 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Timing Adjuster

Ralph Greene said:
The idea of blindly adding timing all across the RPM range doesn't appeal to me much.

However, with a custome tune (chip or reflash), one can add timing only in the RPM range where it adds power.
the car only has 165 miles on it. I'm not ready to start messing with the computer.

#7 ·
Re: Re: Re: Timing Adjuster

Jim Vaccaro said:
Ralph, If the Mach1 has 10degrees timing like the N/A Cobra's and GT's a timing Adjuster set @ 14degrees would help a lot..
Most of the power increase in N/A Stock Modulars come from this timing advance and not too much from the fuel curve..
One of the best running N/A Modular GT's i know has just a timing adjuster set @ 14..The car is Chipless.
My own 96Cobra when N/A also did very well with setting Timing adjuster @14 degrees.After that custom tuneing netted very little increase.
I don't think chip tuners are going to tell you this..
Ask Jake ,,,He will tell you..
Well...I'm certainly willing to learn about this car. I know if it's set up to run on 91, and we have 93 around here, there's room for more timing.

Yeah...Jake will tune with a MSD unit on a power adder car...adding and pulling timing.

#8 ·
2000BlackGT said:
i use a tweecer for all my tuning needs. it grows with me, its pretty cool, you should look into it if you are looking at gears and a timing adjuster, it could be cheaper in the long run
Tweecer doesn't work on MACH's yet.

#10 ·
No Limit Racing said:
I can tell you after dynoing a few Mach,s the stock computer is tuned well. we have tried with our EFI solutions software and the timing an air fuel from the factory are pretty close. we havent seen significant gains.
In your opinion, where should I start? I have removed the rubber silencer and waxed the car so far:D Now I have 212 miles on it.
There is a big race that I want to attend on Sunday. By the time I get there it should have close to 300 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.