Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been shopping around for a timing set for the 2-valve (I have a 2001 Romeo motor). Has anyone used this kit from ebay seller theimportexperts? If so, is it a quality kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...c0.m245&_trkparms=72:1171|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Here is the product info. from their listing:

"This kit is assembled by Preferred Components, using components that meet or exceed OEM specifications. PCI specializes in supplying OHC timing sets & components for the "professional installer". PCI is an importer and supplier of high quality timing system products manufactured by both OEM and aftermarket manufacturers that have OEM business and understand quality standards"

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd be real careful about using components from an "importer and supplier" of components. Maybe they're OK but I make it a point to use only US made components in my vehicles. I've never been disappointed, as a result!

As such, I don't know what to recommend, since I haven't had to replace a chain. I'm sure someone will come along with some good recommendations.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Dont buy that kit. Spend a little extra cash and get a stock ford kit. Summit and MMR both sell them for decent prices. Timing chains and gears is NOT something you want to skimp on because if they fail there goes your engine all because you wanted to save a little cash.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just wanted to find out if these guys are selling good parts or not. I guess I'll stick to Ford OEM parts for replacements.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Actually I didn't even think of looking there. I just checked and they don't sell the guides individually. Fortunately I just saw that LMR does.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Cam Sprocket Material: Billet steel
Crank Sprocket Material: Billet steel

from that trick flow timing kit description. Stock pieces aren't billet are they? :p Looks like the OEM ones though in the pic and im pretty sure Greg said that they are all OEM parts in that kit. I never bothered to find out what material they are made of though so curious now

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info. so far in this thread.

I pm'd Gregg and asked if the Trick FLow timing kit for $299 at Summit (TFS-51800501) is OEM Ford and he told me it is an OE replacement. Not sure if that means these are actual FORD parts?

Anyway, about the tensioners, I saw some Ford dealers advertising them in online stores and I pm'd Steve at Tousley but am waiting to hear his price.

Do you guys know anything about the new vs. old tensioners? Are the newer tensioners plastic? The ones on my 2001 Romeo engine are not plastic. Is it worth upgrading to the new ones?

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
My motor is currently being built. I am running a Cloyes Timing set. Was Everything I needed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Anyway, about the tensioners, I saw some Ford dealers advertising them in online stores and I pm'd Steve at Tousley but am waiting to hear his price.
Please PM me with that info when Steve gets back to you, if you don't mind.

Do you guys know anything about the new vs. old tensioners? Are the newer tensioners plastic? The ones on my 2001 Romeo engine are not plastic. Is it worth upgrading to the new ones?
I'm not sure, but based on what the tensioners do, I don't think they would be made out of plastic.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure, but based on what the tensioners do, I don't think they would be made out of plastic.
Yes, that's probably true. I thought I read somewhere that the housing is a different material, not cast iron as the "old" tensioners are. Anyway, it'd be nice to get some info. as to old vs. new.

Now I'm even more confused! I read on Hitech's site the following:

"Replace your plastic housing tensioners with these cast iron body units that have
ratchets to prevent the tensioner from backing off and allowing the cam timing to
advance during cranking which may cause the intake valves to hit the pistons."

Here's the link, you can see the pic here:
http://hitechmotorsport.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_78_134&products_id=43913

Who knows? I'll just stick with my stock tensioners, they only have around 40k miles on them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just ask Steve at Tousley or Jonathan at Hillbish Ford for the Metal ones when you order.. They both will know exactly what your wanting..And there not really expensive to boot... The new ones are indeed plastic. As for the rest of the timing stuff, I just reused my gears and chain with 87K on it.. Just inspect them before you decide to use them..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Even though the Chilton Manual is in black and white, the tensioners look metallic. Also, I got this pic from the 50resto site:

Again, looks pretty metallic, however from there they're $70 EACH!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts