Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the past couple years alot of the higher hp modular guys was starting to have problems with the stock timing dowels breaking in the teskid block. Most of them seem to come from spinning and catching traction, putting more of a strain on the timing components. We noticed there is a good bit more material in the block to accept a larger stud. We decided to step the stud size up to a M8x1.25 over the stock 6mm stud. Install is pretty straight forward, just redrilling and tapping the hole for the new stud. These will also work in the wap and iron blocks. Haven't seen as many failures in the iron blocks though. I haven't had my hands on a boss block but they should work if it uses a similar size stock dowel.This a pretty simple part to make if you know someone with a machine shop. We also made several sets if anyone needs some

The problem

New stud vs the old

Few extras

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do this studs need to be torqued to spec and if so, what are the specs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Iron blocks take dowels. They dont screw in. Atleast on an iron 5.4 they dont.
sure but those dowels are small and they can break as well. You can just remove them and have the hole drilled and tapped for this larger screw in style pivot stud

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe all the iron blocks use press in dowels. I would still go to a larger dowel if you plan to reuse the press in style

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
i just have to say thanks for doing this for all of us, there are quite a large number of builds going on right now and this comes at the right time, the onslaught of great tech on this website has been quite strong lately with great tech threads from you and tony and ed and 03steve

·
Administrator
9,358 Posts
For all the guys who are upgrading their pivot dowels, it is a great idea and will save you parts and money. If you don't have a tall drill press or access to a vertical mill to get the block in for the drilling and tapping Cobra Engineering makes the tool you need. This is what it looks like:

fixture plate.jpg

It locates on the two dowel pins on the block's timing cover gasket surface and is securely held in place by three 8mm bolts during the drilling and tapping phases. Extra added attraction, you don't have to go hunting for the correct drill and tap, they come with the fixture. Most importantly this tool will keep you from messing up your block and having to send it out to helicoil the boss to repair a crooked or poorly drilled/tapped hole.

One of the drill bushings is for the drilling process to keep the drilled hole straight. The second drill bushing is for the tap to keep the threaded hole straight. With this drilling / tapping fixture you can literally do this in your garage and it's a lot less expensive than jobbing it out or repairing the damage of a failed attempt.

You can find Cobra Engineering as a sticky at the top of the Terminator forum.

Ed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Clear your inbox. Lol

1 - 20 of 69 Posts