Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what's up guys, I got a 5.0L stroked and cammed 97 cobra and I took it apart to rebuild it cause of a head gasket issue bit since its out image rebuild it, so does any one know and links to how to set timing on these things? I put it on tdc and marked it all with nail polish but my kid decided to wipe them off and clean it cause he though it was staind so links or steps would really help thanks

· L&M Engines
274 Posts
Primary chain - fold it in half, mark each end and hang it on the marks.
Secondary - 7 0r 9 links, I forget. Eyeball split overlap to verify the secondary. Your eye can tell spit overlap in less then half a link.
Otherwise, wait until tomorrow and I'll check or refresh my memory at 3 am.

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
Yes the primary chain is equidistant. Just mark a link and hang it. The link on the exact opposite end is the other one that needs to be marked. Secondaries aren't that big of a deal. Hang them on the keys and face them down. The chain will fit on how it fits on and the tensioner will take up the slack. Can't mess up the secondaries.

· L&M Engines
274 Posts
The secondary chain is 7 links, there is no zero link, the number 1 link would be on a mark and the number 7 link on the other mark.

The chains are to be hung on all cams with the cam keys at 6 o'clock and the crank key pointing at cylinder number one.
Obviously one has to wiggle the crank and cam some to get things properly hung.
We do hundreds of these without factory locking tools, just be careful with big cams and the intake valve to piston position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.