Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe Rick uses 23degrees total timing.
I also bevieve that is stock timing.
Question is ??
with 93 Octane can and should we run a bit more timming??

Superchips had some guys running 26dgrees,,,Did they detonate?
can we use 26degrees with 100 octane?? How much will it help??

I know a lot of questions :p

how bout some answers????????????:jawdrop

jim v.

G

·
i dont know the anwser to the question, but ive had a super chip before on my 99 vortech cobra. i rank superchips in the "wouldnt put one on a go-ped" class

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick, Should get his azzzzzzz in here and set us straight..

Should we get switch chips... or a timing adjuster??

jim v.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is a good question Jim V., I've been wondering what the stock timing is for an 03' Cobra myself lately? :confused: I have a buddy with a blown 98 cobra and they run very little timing with his set-up, how would the 03's timing differ from like the blown 98's and why? :confused:

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ALLNTRL said:
This is a good question Jim V., I've been wondering what the stock timing is for an 03' Cobra myself lately? :confused: I have a buddy with a blown 98 cobra and they run very little timing with his set-up, how would the 03's timing differ from like the blown 98's and why? :confused:
With 8 1/2 to 1 compression and the way the heads flow these cars accept timing very well.
When i checked my timing and found it was 23 degrees with Rick's chip.
I confered with Jim LaRocca who hadn't tunned an 03 as yet. He said that was a lot of timing.
Jim LaRocca then tunned an 03 Cobra and guess what? He tunned it eventually with 23 degrees timing.
Same story at Mustang Magic.
Joe 's own car runs 23 degrees timing also.
Job Spetter Jr was there and saw that my car had that much timing and also thought it was a lot.
Both Joe at Mustang Magic and LaRocca tune with autologic.
Diablo was ahead of the game with our cars.
they made many tests and Dyno Pulls early on in the game.

jim v.

·
Registered
138 Posts
At WOT, stock timing on both the QUD0, QUD2 and YHD0 is 17 at 5000 and 21 at 6500 and up. Adding 2 degrees is about the norm for a good street program, giving 23 degrees total at higher rpms. We have set cars higher, as much as 26, but that was done under custom tuning and on cars planning to run Torco. The funny thing about these cars, like Jimmy said, is the timing just blows your mind. On Lightnings, we set street programs around 16 degrees, running timing like the Cobras take would be insane. These cars just like timing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Jim didn't Job Spetter Jr. do some tuning on an 03' with the new Accel DFI? I wonder what he found the timing "sweet spot" to be? Also are you running straight 93 pump gas with the 23 degrees of timing or are you mixing? Do you know what the 03's actually come set at stock (timing wise)?

Thanks Lightning Tuner, you replied before I got an email. LOL...... :cool:

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALLNTRL said:
Hey Jim didn't Job Spetter Jr. do some tuning on an 03' with the new Accel DFI? I wonder what he found the timing "sweet spot" to be? Also are you running straight 93 pump gas with the 23 degrees of timing or are you mixing? Do you know what the 03's actually come set at stock (timing wise)?
This was way back before Job jr. did a Cobra. I know he has a few 03 cobra projects going.I don't want to post rumors.I am sure what ever he tunes will run well.
I think Sal said 21 degrees was stock total timing.

Yes i run Amaco 93..Never had a problem with detonation at all. Checked plugs twice and changed them once.
I even had the 01 Cobra hot plugs (32's) in my car from the factory. They were burning perfect also.

jim v.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eric Brooks said:
What about that green Fox bodied coupe with the 03 cobra motor that Alternative built, I believe it had DFI as well.
I thought Speed Pro..

jim v.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I remember correctly, I think the Alternative car was running 26 degrees. At the last Mod Shootout, Beefcake was talking to Lidio about it. But keep in mind that car is a good amount lighter than the 03 Cobras, so without as much load, it can tolerate more timing. I'm sure it wasn't running on pump gas either :).

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric Brooks said:
Wasn't it running the stock pulleys as well?
When i saw the car it had a smaller pulley but only made 11lbs cause of the headers..

jim v.

·
400 Posts
I run 23 deg for my street programs and 26 in my race programs which I like to add 3-4 gallons of 100 octane to about 1/4 tank of gas. It seems most cars pick up 1.5 tenths.

Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rick
Is it possible to burn a dual switch DC. One side for street with 23deg. and the other for the track 26 or 28deg. Best of both worlds... Just remember to run the correct octane lol...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts