Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that everytime you put aside some money, it ends up going "south" for something else....But along with the new 03 Cobra brakes I just upgraded to the front of my 01 GT, it seems now I must do tires, and then eventually add the long awaited Cat X Pipe (magna flow? bassani?)
But main question here is I have the stock 17x8 Bullitt's...Whats the best tire around..I am willing to upgrade from 245/45 to 255/45 or 255/40...People are RAVING about the Toyo T1S, but I do not want to be mistaken for a "ricer"...any opinions about which tires to go with!?!? Thanks- Jay

·
Registered
100 Posts
What about the Khumo Ecxsta Supras (sp?). Some friends of mine bought some and they say they stick like nobodys business, wet or dry. But that is their opinions. I havent really read anything on them and I dont know how they compare price wise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
are you looking for traction around turns or traction strait off the line?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...Since it is my everyday car, it must be able to handle well....(wet traction not an issue...have a jeep for those days) as far as straight line, handling, etc...that is all important...so is TIRE WEAR LOL...I guess I am asking for the "perfect tire"...or something close to it...Any comments about those TOYO T1S??
Jay

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well the Khumos Supra 712's and the Toyos both have tread wear ratings of 280. Reviews on both are great. High marks for each in wet/dry handling, however the Toyo is a lot more expensive (at least to what I could find on the net). The tread design on the Toyo looks impressive...but so does the Khumo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WTC TIRE (Wholesale Tire Company I think?) here in NY, wants $175 a tire...Not bad considering I think tirerack.com wants around $160 for the gatorbacks...or should I say "WASTE" that came with the car...
Jay

·
Registered
131 Posts
dunlop sp sport5000's are awesome i've had 3 sets of tires and these make it feel like i have a new suspension the wear rating is also good (340) they were $150 245/45r17 front and $175 for 275/40r17 rear at www.tire.com they even hook on straight line too 2.089 on a 14.2 quarter

·
Registered
90 Posts
do you have to warm up drag radials to get a good launch?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like my 255/45-17 Bridgestone Pontenza RE0730's! Great wet/dry tire....not so great in the snow, but what will be on the stang? Stick like a mo-fo!

SJ

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have Nitto 555R's and at the track I only have to spin em a little...mostly to get water and gravel off, but I have been told its good to warm em a bit...I dont know for sure. I dont street race so Ive never had to address the issue at a stoplight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
to those 555rs and other drs have decent lateral traction? how are they in the rain?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes you should heat up your DRs. They will start to really hook after 3rd or 4th outting. Get them nice and hot and try 14psi the 1st couple of passes . When you notice they really start to hook then drop the air pressure to 12.5.
No there not that great in the rain. I dont no how the Nittos work but the BF Goodwrich DR are awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts