Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the better combo for my 03 Cobra:
1) 2 AFS 17X9 and 2 17X10.5 with Goodyear GS-D3 315/35/17 for the rear and 275/40/17 for the front or;
2) 2 AFS 18X9 and 2 18X10.5 with Kumho Ecsta MX 295/35/18 for the rear and 275/35/18 for the front.
When the 03 Cobra first came out Colletti is quoted as saying that they tried 18's but found out that they got better handling with the 17's. Also, I am worried about lowering the car with 18's.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Love the handling of the 18's. More importantly, I think they just "look" right. 17's are a little small IMHO. Here is a pic showing the difference.

Attachments

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Has anyone weighed the stock rims alone and with the F1's? Then weighed a set of 18's alone and with tires? Many claim going with a larger wheel slows them down in the 1/4 due to increased rotational mass, or more likely is the case the fact that the mass that does exist is simply farther from the hub.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
Has anyone weighed the stock rims alone and with the F1's? Then weighed a set of 18's alone and with tires? Many claim going with a larger wheel slows them down in the 1/4 due to increased rotational mass, or more likely is the case the fact that the mass that does exist is simply farther from the hub.
I'm sure that's true. I'm going to run Nitto 555's on my 18x9 (all four) chrome AFS rims. For the track, I'm using the Gooyear F1's in the front and 555 DR's in the back.

I don't think 18's are well suited for the track... but hey, I can be proven wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the AFS 18" Wheels and my car feels slower...I dont know if its the wheels that are heavy or is it that teh bigger tire changed my geat ratio.

But i put 460 rwhp down...w/2.77 pulley, Exhaust,Chip and Filter.

Before the chip I ran a [email protected] the pulley and 18" I went [email protected] reason my E.T. was lower was I hooked..BUT my mph is only 116?

Not only that...but before the 18" I could beat my Buddies Viper...after those he beats me...with nothing changed.HMM?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I prefer the 18s; the car "tracks" better. If you run 275/35x18, the overall tire diameter is the same as stock; so your final drive ratio will not change.

I concur with what was stated earlier; I think the 18s "look" right.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
If you are building something strickly to drag race, go with the 17's, if for other reason, go with what you think looks best.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as looks, the 18's look better because of the enormous wheel well on the new body stangs. I'd go with 18's and get some 15's and drags for the track.

·
Registered
239 Posts
sambandit said:
Love the handling of the 18's. More importantly, I think they just "look" right. 17's are a little small IMHO. Here is a pic showing the difference.
Thanks for that pic Sambandit - I am comtemplating 18x9s all around but wasn't sure how 18s would look. Your statement above is right on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
12 sec. 99 said:
As far as looks, the 18's look better because of the enormous wheel well on the new body stangs. I'd go with 18's and get some 15's and drags for the track.
I don't know about 15's fitting over the tie rod ends on the rear, 16 looked awful tight on a buddy's car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
I used my trusty "highly calibrated" bathroom scale:

Stock with F1's weighed in at 54 lbs.

CCW wheels - 17 X 8 with 245's = 46 lbs.
17 x 11 with 315's - 50 lbs.

I would imagine that the 18 incher of most wheel brands will be nearly close to stock weight.

Ben

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ive been sub 1.90s on my 18s many times with a best of 1.85 60ft, this is with cheap 275/35/18 Kumho 712s

18s look a ton better imo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts