Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a long day for me, I spent about 10 hours on the dyno with a car that did not want to cooperate, but in the end I won the battle.

It was a 2004 Cobra, completely stock longblock with a 3.4L Whipple and the pulley that comes on it. It had a Glenns fuel system (return) with 3, 255 pumps, Fore Rails, and 160Lb injectors, and an AEM injector driver box. The 160s and the AEM box kicked my ass. The EEC will not all you to enter the injector values for 160#/hr injectors, they are too large, so I had to get creative. The huge fuel system was needed for the E85.

The end result was 771 SAE, boost was at 25 psi, with 18.5 degrees timing.

More info coming when I have time to post data, and dynosheets.

This car was over 800 (804 I think) STD numbers. :tip:

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
Today was a long day for me, I spent about 10 hours on the dyno with a car that did not want to cooperate, but in the end I won the battle.

It was a 2004 Cobra, completely stock longblock with a 3.4L Whipple and the pulley that comes on it. It had a Glenns fuel system (return) with 3, 255 pumps, Fore Rails, and 160Lb injectors, and an AEM injector driver box. The 160s and the AEM box kicked my ass. The EEC will not all you to enter the injector values for 160#/hr injectors, they are too large, so I had to get creative. The huge fuel system was needed for the E85.

The end result was 771 SAE, boost was at 25 psi, with 18.5 degrees timing.

More info coming when I have time to post data, and dynosheets.

This car was over 800 (804 I think) STD numbers. :tip:
impressive eric-was this with a crusher inlet? great job!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Could that setup run with 80s? Wouldnt they be to small? How well would this setup work for a daily driver?

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could that setup run with 80s? Wouldnt they be to small? How well would this setup work for a daily driver?
I haven't done the math, but I think 80s will work with a high base pressure.

These 160s are so big, the factory computer will not allow you to enter the correct injector values, and that made them a pain in the ass to tune with.

I told Garrett I would swap out the 160s for the 80s. He has plenty of pump to run high pressure on 80s if needed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good to know, in your opinion would this be safe to run as a daily driver for a while? I live in the corn so e85 is relatively plentiful and would like to run a 3.4L Whipple on pump gas but cant find anyone that can give me an answer if its possible or not.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think so, we weren't 100% sure that we had E85. At this time of year it is most likely E70, so we never got aggressive on the timing. I locked timing to 16 degrees and we made 747 SAE. That is pretty conservative on this setup and it still made good torque and HP.

EB

·
Registered
649 Posts
Could it be done without e85 with a 4" upper? I can also get 91-93 octane, thought about using a flip chip for long trips where I may not be able to get e85. Thanks so far you are the only one that has given me a deffinate answer to my questions.

Jay

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is the E85 worth it? It is not as expensive as 100 I know, at least not in my area but the fuel economy is going to suck even worse with it. Those numbers are really good and I think that is about on par with the on 3.4 car I know of locally on a stock long block with 24psi and a 100 octane tune in it. He made around 750. The car kept spinning the tires on the dyno making over 700ft/lbs almost instantly..lol. My friend who tuned it said the car just shreds the Nitto's in 4th. With the crusher this car you tuned would be insane. CLearly the 3.4's need to spun to make the power and they do make the power.

Out of curiosity what are the numbers Uncorrected since I have been hearing a lot about how those are the correct numbers for forced induction cars.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Me personally, I would rather have C16 in a car making this much power. I'll be on the dyno all day today with a foxbody but I will get the graphs and uncorrected numbers and post them tonight or tomorrow.
I agree with you. E85 is iffy but can work. No worries on the graph I was just curious about your thoughts on the SAE vs. Uncorrected with forced induction cars.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice Eric, very impressive

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Nice results! Will you be able to upload the .dlf & log files? What is the size of the pulley that comes on the 3.4L? I did a quick calculation. At that boost pressure, 80 lb/hr injectors wouldn't cut for E85 with a DeltaP of 39 psi. Even with E70 it would be pushing it. A higher pressure would definitely help, but it may still be marginal depending on where it's set and how close one feels comfortable getting to the ragged edge. Get some good air, and it could push it over the top, for example. Thanks for the info E-man! :tip:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Oh snap! :rofl:

Definitely looking forward to seeing the graph and hearing about the rest of the combo when you have time.

Thanks...

·
Registered
247 Posts
eric im just curious because i dont know a lot about tuning a car, but with a good fuel system and tune will a stock 03-04 cobra block be able to handle 25 psi even if it is a daily driver? or would u recommend a lower psi tune for a DD? say if the commute is about 26 miles one way.

thank you sir,

G

1 - 20 of 102 Posts