Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what the top times currently are for the '03 cobras, and how many people seem to be running them? I've seen a few record numbers posted, but I'm having a discussion on my local board between the 03 cobra and the Supras. I'm not looking just for the fastest 1/4 mile ET so far, but I'm also looking for how many people seem to be able to get there after such a short time in production.

It just seems like there arn't a ton of Supras running low numbers (perhaps a handful? I don't know, I'm not that into them), but the Cobras seem to be swarming into the low ET's pretty damn quick. Any links would be helpful if you don't have any data yourself. Any help would be appreciated.:beer:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
With just over a $1k in mods and a good driver, you can run 11's all day in the cobra unless the weather is bad. Not just 1 or 2 guys have done this either, it getting more and more common. As far as the big dogs they are in the 9's and Im confident we will see 8's soon enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steel City Pimp said:
With just over a $1k in mods and a good driver, you can run 11's all day in the cobra unless the weather is bad. Not just 1 or 2 guys have done this either, it getting more and more common. As far as the big dogs they are in the 9's and Im confident we will see 8's soon enough.
Yeah, I'm in the 11's with mine myself. I'm talking about the guys runing in the 9's. The point I'm trying to make to the other club members is that the '03 Cobra is running great times already (only being just over a year out of production), where the Supras they love so much have been chipping away at it since what, 1994?:D

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
There don't seem to be too many in the 9's right now. But, it looks like a bunch more are running in the 10's. Just within the last month or so, I have seen 2 cars, still with the IRS, running from 10.50 to 10.70 times, with the KB and a good (Strictly Performance) tune. There will likely be a couple more within a month as well, doing the same. I'll have to stick with 11's, aiming for 11.4 to 11.5 level - nuff for me !!

PS - Not an ad for Strictly, just facts. They will get to see may car soon, though, since I need a new tune after I installed my new 8 Lb lower ring today !

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The two I've seen in the 9's are Richard Lelsz's Strictly Performance yellow '03 that was featured in the November '03 issue of MMFF. He ran a 9.74 at Bowling Green, if I remember correctly, but let off about 1000 ft. Nitrous Pete's famous 9.99 video has been circulating for a while. His car was also featured in one of the Mustang mags but I can't find the issue at the moment. At Bowling Green there were a lot of 12 and 11 sec. '03s. Some in the 10's as well.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
I actually had the pleasure not too long ago of proving that us 03's are not just dyno queens like the supra's. I lined up on the street with a supposed 11.0 supra... and handed him his ass by 5 cars...and he wasn't catchin up either,this was from a dead stop on a main highway here in Connecticut.He told me he spun badly but his passenger said otherwise..lol..My cars best pass so far is a 11.44 @ 122.95 on Nitto drag radials....Either he's lying or like Jimmy V told me once these 03's get going they are all 10 second cars..LOL...I know of the guy that i raced and he has 10's of thousands of dollars in his car...supposedly makes over 750rwhp..didn't seem like it when i raced him..:D He wants a rematch when i have some time off from work ,so this time i will get video. I think there are alot of 10 second capable cobras on the street just not everyone has gotten them to their full potential yet....more 11 second cobra's are very common these days,and only a year into production thats very impressive...ford really did their homework and now we are benefitting from it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dr. Jamie Meyer said:
We need to start a sign up list with best ETs for all the folks that frequent this board.
NLOC.org has an excellent list of times for the Lightnings that shows mods as well.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
richard from stictly pros best time is 9.54 pretty good i think he has solid axe nitrous pete running 9.99with more mods hell catch up to richard lelsz (is that how u spell it) i think nitrous pete has the potential to rum 8.99 most of thew guys runnin 11's as for me next year 11's right now a shitty 13.01
oh ya im 12

·
Registered
285 Posts
NOS pete has sold that car to a guy in St louis who has ditched the KB for a X2C turbo and has been i think 9.74

Richard ran the 9s all the way back in may of this year at WFC

as for cars doing 11s under 1K mine is a prime example. bought the car the 1st week of may and drove to WFC in st louis, went thru the mfg midway and purchased every part for my car that is currenty on it. TO pass went 12.84 and by elim time i went 11.93 best and dialed in a 11.98 making it thru the entire field of cars. All done in the pits and for under 1K

·
Registered
31 Posts
nos pete sold his car! the torch red 03

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Is that still the original longblock in Petes old car, several people said that they saw it running @ Gateway with the Kenne Belle when the guy first got it and said it was smoking pretty badly!

·
Registered
191 Posts
bjherron said:
we've tuned the red one in St. louis running 9's on IRS. I'd say it's pretty quick!
What kind of power did it make? At what boost?

Also, I would like to say that I'm glad to FINALLY see a decent performance shop open up closer to my neck of the woods. :blob Bj, everything I'm hearing about you guys so far is positive and I wish your shop the best. I also hope to be doing business with you in the future. :evil

·
Registered
521 Posts
bjherron said:
it was the original long block, but I think it has some blowby and they are looking into it.

Brian
Brian,
did you get the blower? If I had known it was for you, I wouldn't have asked all the stupid ????'s. Hope alls well.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry...

Steel City Pimp said:
I'm kind of a newbie... but 1k in mods? What is that? Cuz exhaust, CAI, chip, and pulley are already like 1k.... (350+200+300+200) = 1050...

And that doesn't even include dyno tune yet. So more like 1400... Is that enough for 11's?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eric,
If you have time browse over to the www.nloc.net for some ideas that is the national lightnings owner club and go to there times&modification list they really do a super job over there having a 10sec club,11sec club,12sec club etc.... and the way they have there list setup for modifications.

Matt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts