Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of torque converters are you guys using. I currently have the stock one but plan on going to a aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pi 2800 stall works great.:banggears

·
Registered
227 Posts
For over 2 years I ran the JDM/PI 2400. It was a good converter, the only complaint I had was that it was a bit noisy (clutch plates rattle) It did push the truck to a 1.621....60' time.

I now have a Yank 2800 wich I have not used yet and it looks like it will be next year before I can flog it and find out it its going to do the job. Dale

·
Registered
467 Posts
Right now I'm using a stock one. I bought an Art Carr from a friend several months ago now, but I'm leary on putting it in because I've heard of guys not liking it and losing some time with it. Friend of mines truck was a BLAST to drive on the street after putting the converter in, but I'll give up some of my fun on the street to keep the truck more efficient.

1.67 60' on stock converter 26x11.5x16 et streets and lakewoods.

I'll probably stay with the stock one for a little while.

I'm interested in how the Yank performs for you. Some of their converters are built here in AR.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Protorque in mine and my Brother's trucks. Great customer service! Good price too. I can set you up with one if you are looking. We also run them in all of our Turbo Buicks and they go in every car that leaves our shop. -Mat-

·
Registered
128 Posts
P.I. 2400. No problems at all. the L drives like its not there, until your at the track (1.59 60 ft.).
It is a little noisy , but overall I would give it a 9 out of 10.

VINNIE

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a PI 2600 stall in mine. It is noisy, but it has worked well. My 60 foot times are always mid/low 1.6's now with the hoosier Dot's. That is on a good or bad track. :)
The drawback is on the freeway from a 1500 rpm roll it doesn't have the get up and go the stock converter had. :(
I've had the PI for about 20K miles now.
I had an Art Carr when they first came out and it was a POS. I removed it less than two weeks after I installed it. They may have changed the design since then...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Frank, when did you get a converter?

·
Registered
352 Posts
OIC. Is it an Art Carr or something else?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Frank02L said:
Yup, along with a rebuilt tranny it looks like. I think its starting to slip a little. Maybe try to get one more trip to Memphis out of it...
Looks like its almost time for a Monster Box and that Art Carr converter. 11's shouldn't be a problem then. At least with good air & traction.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We got trucks in mid and low 11's using the stock tranny aside from a built accumulator. Not needing new monster box conversions yet.

BTW. I wouldnt waste a dime on an Art Carr converter. They are literally no different then stock. Get a PI and call it done.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Venomous Mofo said:
We got trucks in mid and low 11's using the stock tranny aside from a built accumulator. Not needing new monster box conversions yet.
Maybe but I bet they havent seen a life like mine has. 40k miles, 200 passes, tow pig duty, unload the towed vehicle and race the truck....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, im already at 583 passes in less then a year in mine. Some of them have close to 800 but do no towing.:evil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts