Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk to me about the traction control system in the Mustang....

Is the system a spark/fuel cut out or brakes based and is it controlled by the PCM?

How good is it at limiting spin?

How much power can it handle?

The reason I ask is I will be pumpimg serious power thru a truck and if I end up using a Cobra PCM I wonder if I could somehow use the T/C. I like the idea of limiting the power on the street for such things as weather or the wife driving.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It is a worthless POS. It hasn't been usefull to me in any condition,dry, wet, snow.

Traction control is just a euphamism for "power limiting". The system on the mustang has no finesse to it. When it engages, the car just falls flat on it's face. I'm not sure what exactly it does, just that it does not work.

I belive it cuts timing and or ignition,and applies the brakes. Having had it on two Cobra's (a 99 and my '03) trust me when I say it is worthless. As I stated above, even in the snow, I had to turn it off to get anywhere.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove home a 02 GT in the rain so I could hammer it out of corners and I will have to agree that it is not very well sorted, but I wonder if it can “tuned” in the software…

·
Registered
96 Posts
I gotta say that it saved my beans in the snow. Once. I was trying to make it across the road in about 3 inches of snow, and it would just barely get traction with that thing on...then it would catch a rut and lurch, catch a rut and lurch...barely made it home.

Otherwise, it's off most of the time. The only time it's actually on is when I forget to turn it off or when my little black box I have installed forgets to turn it off. It's rude when it cuts in...:jawdrop

·
Registered
250 Posts
I made a novice mistake this weekend by forgetting to turn it off before a run. The minute I spun in the box the car died. I agree with JT.....it seemed to cut out everything that says "go". I am not sure that it affected brakes. Hard to remember anything concerning that. A real PITA when you forget to switch off. Since I only drive mine in the "nice and sunny" it is hard to tell if it will be any use to me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is it that you guys do not like about the traction system and what does it not do that you want it to do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dunno, the traction control system is blunt in the mustang, but it works.

I got used to it, and when I drove a BMW with an electronic throttle and traction control I had difficulty with the bimmer. I expexted it to behave more or less like the stang... which it didn't and I had the thing all over the place.

To work around the stock traction control you gotta use the throttle like an on/off switch, or it just hangs in there.

it is most likely timing/brake based. The timing part is obvious, just park the car on some ice and watch it pull out the timing to the point where the car almost quits running. As fro the brakes, you got that controller for the ABS with 4 individual lines running from it and its a good sized unit which leads me to beleive that the traction control also uses the ABS unit to help modulate power to the wheels.

As for its lack of finesse, these are mustangs (including the cobras) which means they are CHEAP, using CHEAP technology to get a pretty decent bang for the buck. Its rude and crude, but it does get the job done (which is to say that driving the car is a 90/10 thing, traction control isn't a wonder pill for driving, it helps the driver, doesn't replace him.)

Also on that note, your tires are part of the traction control too. different size tires front to rear (or just a change in tire design front to rear (ie; drag radials, mixed with standard tires) is going to monkey with the car's handling and how the trac con works. I'm sure Ford figured that the bulk of the people buying the car would purchase 4 equal sized tires of the same brand/type.

In any event, there is a world of difference in the way my 02 reacts compared to the 91 in poor traction conditions. Lean on the throttle in the 91 and you ain't pay'n attention, its roller coaster time baby.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It does all of the above, apply brakes, retard timing, and the PCM cutsback on the fuel. Anybody autocross? Try it both ways, and you will elect to leave it on. The Mustang tends to oversteer real bad (in stock form) and the TC will help keep the rear from swinging around. Perhaps if I was a better driver that would be different, but I drove it like it was paid for (it's not). My times were vastly better with it left on. For dragstrip, turn it off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I really want to know more about...

I would like to know if it can be adjusted in the PCM?

·
Registered
518 Posts
It has saved my ass I know of 3 times now in pouring rain. When it came on it scared the hell out of me, but saved my butt. I think it works very well. Considering that I might have ended upside down on the other side of the road if I didn't have it.

Brandon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts