Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my car down to FL for the Bradenton race and this will be the first time that I ever put this car on a trailor. I drove tractor trailors in the past so I am not worried about towing a 3800 lb car. My question is where would be the best place to put the straps on the front and IRS? Don't want to damage anything. Thanks :tip:

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,207 Posts
I tie mine down with the A arms, front and back. It works just fine, just make sure you don't to it in a way that the arms will cut the straps.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I criss cross the straps at all you think or just leave it straight? Strapping it to the rim looks fairly simple.

·
1,207 Posts
If you go to the rim, do it straight, but if you go to the suspension I'd cross them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I go around the kmember in the front---on the vertical bars above the rack . I have done the a-arms before in a pinch (didn't want to damage the front of a lowered car).

I strap the rear around the axle tubes with axle straps (solid rear). I would probably recommend the wheel-strap method described above.

·
1,207 Posts
Good point, Stu. If you go to the front A arms, watch out for body contact.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotcha!! I will strap the k member and for the rear I will do the rims. Thanks for all you help fella's. :tip:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I still Criss Cross mine at the rear with the wheel straps. On the front of mine I usually have a strap around the k-member that is also attached to the winch, but still tie down the fronts also. My eyelets are back far enough that I can use the factory tie down points.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to thank all of you for the input you gave. I made the 1200 mile trip without any issues. I used the rims for strapping the car down and I only had to adjust one time the whole way down. BTW I had a great time in Bradenton.:tip:

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
When strapping the wheels, are folks using those basket nets around the tire or just a regular strap through the spokes?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Old thread but I just wanted to update. I wrapped a strap under the driver axle, over the diff, and over the passenger side axle (SRA).

Then I just hooked each front strap to the swaybar hole on the front of the UPR control arms. I'm now thinking this wasn't the best idea and in the future I think I'm going to try to wrap the strap around the K member.

I noticed a front end clack when I backed the car out of the trailer.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
There isn't much to it. I pulled up on the fender to work the suspension and it didn't make any noise.

I'm way too busy to look into it right now.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'm not a tight-a-holic on my own car. When it gets strapped down nice and snug I quit ratcheting. Seems to hard on the car for a bumpy trip. Or I'm chicken and it worries me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts