Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew the tranny in my 96 GT I found a tranny for 500 out of a 2001 GT will this swap straight over????? Reason I am asking is I know that mine cannot be calibrated with a chip for gears and the new one can is that electrical or is something different:D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
badfast96 said:
I blew the tranny in my 96 GT I found a tranny for 500 out of a 2001 GT will this swap straight over????? Reason I am asking is I know that mine cannot be calibrated with a chip for gears and the new one can is that electrical or is something different:D
It will swap out but you will need a speedcal to get the speedo straight .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet I already have the speedcal hooked up..Another question I found an Art Carr AODE with 2800 stall will this bolt up to my mod motor???

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
badfast96 said:
sweet I already have the speedcal hooked up..Another question I found an Art Carr AODE with 2800 stall will this bolt up to my mod motor???
That i cant say

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not mine is a 4r70w right and I have had my speedcal for over 6 months now no problem. I had it checked too it is accurate

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or is mine an AODE??? I am realy confused but I do know that whatever I have the speedcal works on it, they told me that I could not use the chip for the speedo only the 99+ could do that I had to have the chip for shift points and the speedcal for the tranny

·
Registered
205 Posts
Badfast - you got it right. SpeedCal for the speedo, chip for the shift points.

How'd you blow up your tranny?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then what is mine, I was told that it was a 4r70w also, is it the AODE at this point I would be glad to hear that, its cheaper

OU stang I was having some fun with a ricer that thought he could out run me and 2nd gear decided to leave me

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I went over to Ford about 5 minutes away and talke dot he guy he said that my car had the 4r70w but in 99 they cahnged the speedo to electronic thats why I had to use the speedcal, after that you could alter the speedo with the chip....Jim I am not saying you are wrong by any means but I do have the speedcal hooked up on my car and it works just fine for the last 6 months, take it off and the speedo drops so I know its accurate. Due to the fact I had my uncle county sherrif clock me, now I need to find a good replacement for mine for under 1500

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jim - you may well be right. I was thinking that when retro-fitted to an earlier model the SpeedCal would indeed be compatible with the later model tranny. I dropped an email to the designer of the thing, he'll know for sure. When he replies I'll post his answer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jim, Badfast - here's the info:

----begin copy----
The problem on the 99+ cars is the lack of separate VSS and OSS sensors. So when a 99+ tranny is put on a 96-98 car it has to have another sensor added to it for the VSS and once that is accomplished you now have separate sensors and can use the SpeedCal accordingly. I dont know if this will require a tailshaft mod or not. I dont know if the sensor is there and just plugged off or what.
----end copy----

So the answer is.......... <drumroll, please>

MAYBE!!!

If the second sensor is there and unused, then no problem, if not then it looks like it may be a can of worms.

Badfast - A buddy of mine in TN is putting together a 5-spd. swap for his 98 Automatic car. I'm not sure if he's far enough along to pull his tranny but I'll find out if you'd like. That tranny will DEFINITELY work for ya!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going to 5-spd swap too auto is just to expensive, I am trying to figure out what kind of options I have with the manual

1 - 12 of 12 Posts