Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the chances of my trans blowing apart and parts flying into the inside of the car possibly causing harm to me? I hate to sound like an idiot here but I remember hearing something to that effect a long time ago. Do I need to get some type of protection to prevent that from ever happening? I'm just trying to stay as safe as possible.

Thanks,
Razor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might consider a scatter shield. You're going to need one if the car ever runs quick ETs. I think the rule is 10.99 or better. Might be an 11 second rule though.

I've never installed one - nor had a tranny grendade. To be honest I'm not certain they even make them for the T56.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One Percent said:
You might consider a scatter shield. You're going to need one if the car ever runs quick ETs. I think the rule is 10.99 or better. Might be an 11 second rule though.

I've never installed one - nor had a tranny grendade. To be honest I'm not certain they even make them for the T56.
I'm not sure they make a scatter shield for my car. I have heard about a "blanket" you can lay down around your tranny (Under the interiors carpet) but I am still clueless. I just want to make sure that the car and myself are safe at the track. Nobody seems to have much info on this subject so I figure I will wait until I get to the track and ask some guys there. Thanks for the info. ;)

Razor.

·
Registered
438 Posts
scattersheild

I did not see in your signature what kind of transmission that you are running. What most are referring to is an sfi approved bellhousing. Lakewood has a bh for the t-45, tremec's etc. The biggest fear is not so much as the tranny coming thru the floor board as the clutch exploding and the flywheel coming thru like a buzz saw blade.

The "blanket", which wraps around the tranny is normally for automatic equipped cars.

Hope this helps,

Ben Dorn

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: scattersheild

MODCOBRA said:
I did not see in your signature what kind of transmission that you are running. What most are referring to is an sfi approved bellhousing. Lakewood has a bh for the t-45, tremec's etc. The biggest fear is not so much as the tranny coming thru the floor board as the clutch exploding and the flywheel coming thru like a buzz saw blade.

The "blanket", which wraps around the tranny is normally for automatic equipped cars.

Hope this helps,

Ben Dorn
Yes Ben that helps allot man.:D Right now I am running the Tremec 3650 in my car that it came with from the factory. I have a good feeling that I will break the input shaft on this tranny once I take it back to the track this season with all my new found power. If it does break I have already made the decision to swap in a TKO instead of rebuilding the 3650. A fellow racer with a similar car has already done that and has had nothing but success with the TKO.

What I was most concerned about was the flywheel coming through the floorboard as you mentioned. Last season when the car was stock I blew the clutch on the cars 5th pass down the track. The car was fairly stock at that point and I was running the stock clutch as well.

Do you think I should contact Lakewood for a bellhousing? What are the chances of the flywheel buzzing through the floorboard and how often does that happen? Thanks in advance for the info.

Razor.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are quite a few vendors out there that sell the Lakewood bellhousing.. I would shop around to see what kind of price and availability you can get. Contacting Lakewood is not a bad idea either.

I cannot give you an answer on how often it happens but I do know it happens. It generally happens on higher hp cars on a hard launch. I have seen pieces of the clutch/flywheel assy go thru a steel fendered car (happened at Kilkare Raceway in Ohio) and hit a girl in the next lane in the helmet.

I have had quite a few tko's in my cars and I am sure you will like them.. On a side note: McCleod is supposed to be coming out with an SFI approved bh, but.... I have been hearing that for a number of years.

You may also want to call D&D performance and talk to Don Walsh Jr. He has the trannies and the related parts you may need for the swap.

Ben

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help Ben.

Razor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts