Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local track today and I was having trouble shifting. I have had this problem before but now it is a lot worse. I was able to run 12.2 at best and a 13.0 :eek: at worst. The problem started a while back and seems to be getting much worse each time at the track. I have a feeling the tranny can't take the 403 ft/lbs the car is putting out. So what can I do? Should I get a T-56, TKO, TKO2, or try something else? I am a pretty good driver and usual shift well, so I asked my friend if I could take his car down the track to make sure it wasn't just me. He has a blown 99 GT with a T-56 tranny and it shifted beautifully. So what do you recommend? I plan on adding a little more power soon, some where around 500 RWHP and maybe 450-475 RWTQ. Would any of these trannies hold up to the task? Is going to an automatic my only reasonable choice? I can't spend tons of money on a Liberty so what can I do?

Thanks,
Derrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
It all depends on what your goals are. If you want a very fast street car with mid to low 11 sec capabilities, than a TKO or TKO 2 would be your best bet. For the amount of money a T-56 costs, you could probably have a good automatic built, and also have the abilities to run mid 10's consistently.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frdfandc said:
It all depends on what your goals are. If you want a very fast street car with mid to low 11 sec capabilities, than a TKO or TKO 2 would be your best bet. For the amount of money a T-56 costs, you could probably have a good automatic built, and also have the abilities to run mid 10's consistently.
Well, currently my car can (or used to be able to) run high 11's. I have run a best of 11.72 @ 119. I want to be able to run low 11's and still be very streetable. I also like to hit the road course once or twice a year. I don't want to go automatic because of the road courses. I love having a manual transmission. Would the TKO be able to handle my torque (as it is now or as it increases to the 450 - 475 range)? Would the T-56 be the best choice? If it is, then I will spend the money. Although I am not made of money, it seems that I have spent a lot already and spending a little more to enjoy what I have would be okay. Thanks for your input.

Derrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, the T-56 would definitely handle the power, and with the Vortec on the car, it would be a great transmission for strip and road coarses. If you didn't have the blower, i would recommend the TKO. The T-56 will probably run you right around 2500-3000. Most kits have everything that you need and will be towards the higher end of the figure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So where is the best (read cheapest) place to get a T-56 Transmission? What else would I need to do the swap? I already have an 11" clutch and I believe they (TR-3650 and T-56) both have the same spline count so the clutch should work.

Derrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, i found a good place that sells an entire kit reasonably priced. The place is called D & D performance. (www.ddperformance.com)
A kit converting a 99+ GT to the t-56 includes:

1999-2001 Mustang 4.6

To install a t56 into a 99-present you will need : Ford Electric T56 transmission, D&D crossmember spacer and shorter driveshaft. Kit price is $2715

All of the above kits will work with the stock style 10 spline clutches. Kit's include D&D aluminum driveshafts, you can shorten your existing driveshaft at a local shop if you prefer not to purchase a D&D driveshaft. All 5.0 mustangs do require 31 spline yoke if you decide to have your existing driveshaft shortened. All 4.6 cars have a 31 spline yoke.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frdfandc said:
Ok, i found a good place that sells an entire kit reasonably priced. The place is called D & D performance. (www.ddperformance.com)
A kit converting a 99+ GT to the t-56 includes:

1999-2001 Mustang 4.6

To install a t56 into a 99-present you will need : Ford Electric T56 transmission, D&D crossmember spacer and shorter driveshaft. Kit price is $2715

All of the above kits will work with the stock style 10 spline clutches. Kit's include D&D aluminum driveshafts, you can shorten your existing driveshaft at a local shop if you prefer not to purchase a D&D driveshaft. All 5.0 mustangs do require 31 spline yoke if you decide to have your existing driveshaft shortened. All 4.6 cars have a 31 spline yoke.

Hope this helps
Darin,

Thanks so much! That definitely helps. The only question I have is should I get the T-56 that comes with the 03 Cobra or the one that comes with the Viper? I have been told that the Viper one holds more torque and therefore is a better choice. I have also been told the D&D carries both. Do you think the extra money for the Viper T-56 is worth it?

Thanks again,
Derrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would check to see what gear ratios are available for both versions of the t-56 transmission. One might be more suited towards one type of application ie: autocrossing or drag racing. If gear ratio is really too big of a concern, and/or is close enough between the different t-56's, I would go with the viper spec t-56. Just a little more assurance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had them make me a Cryo-Treated Viper 6-speed that should hold close to 1000hp,but it sure cost alot more that 3k!
Kaz........:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Darin for your input. Just an FYI, I ended up getting a TKO with the TKOII third gear setup. I am having the gears welded to the shafts for more strength. This should be more then I need for my power levels.

Thanks again,
Derrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts