Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few threads on both subjects, but was looking for a write up that includes removal of the bellhousing and ect. Also needed one with the IRS removal, thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
i would suggest investing in a repair manual. i have the helm and love it.

i don't have time right now to get into detail. if you don't have responses later tonight, i will see what i can do for you.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
where are all the tech guys..lol

not sure exactly what you want to know, but here is the short version

tranny/clutch

disconnect battery
remove shifter handle
remove midpipe(get new gasket for reinstall, goes on passenger side where midpipe connects to manifold). remember to disconnect o2 sensors
remove driveshaft, need 12 point, 12mm socket for bolts.
get a plug for the rear of tranny so you don't lose fluid when you remove driveshaft
break loose tranny bolts you can get to
remove 4 tranny crossmember bolts, lower rear of tranny
disconnect wire harness from tranny
loosen and remove all tranny bolts and pull tranny (i hope you have a lift and tranny jack)
remove starter (you will need a 13mm swivel socket and a couple feet worth of extensions. top 3rd one that you can't see sucks your first time)
remove bell housing bolts and 2 bellhousing backing plate bolts
remove bell housing
remove clutch, be careful, disc will fall out
remove flywheel

install in opposite order. all torq specs have been posted on here, just search. here is what i remember

flywheel to crank 63 lb-ft, crossing pattern
pressure plate 33 lb-ft, then 60 degrees the 2nd pass. replace these bolts with new bolts. i do a crossing patter on this as well. watch the pp fingers. then should be level/even when everything is torq'ed
bell housing 55 lb-ft for bolts to block
tranny to bell housing 25 lb-ft
driveshaft to pumpkin 83 lb-ft

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
i didn't do the irs part yet...lol.

but that would have to be tomorrow. got in late from finishing my nitrous install, so time for bed. need to be up early for work

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
IRS removal

I found a few threads on both subjects, but was looking for a write up that includes removal of the bellhousing and ect. Also needed one with the IRS removal, thanks!!!
So I can give you specific instructions on removal of IRS what your reason and goal for taking it out.

mofasta:scare:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
While this doesn't help you right now, I have been shooting some video on the removal of the transmission, the correct way to install a clutch and adjustment, and the reinstallation of the transmission.

Hopefully in the next month or so I will be done with the post production work and have it ready to find a host. If you have any specific questions I could probably give you a short video answer if that will help.

My best advice is take your time, and just remember, it's all nuts and bolts. The first time I did it, I did it just by going slow and removing everything piece by piece till it came out. As long as you have basic tools, and a jack+stands or a lift, you will be fine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Trans/clutch assem. is removed, took me and a buddy about 4 hours to do it all, goddamn that top pass. side bolt and that almost impossible starter #3 bolt. I was like wow what was ford thinking during this design...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ha I left that 3rd bolt out on the starter Bash. Screw it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts