Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so, i have had two road-course weekends (4 days) in february already,
and the bug is biting harder.

i removed the BMR LCAs due to clunking (stock again), and teh BMR rear sway bar due to un-greasable squeaking (stock again).
surprisingly, in this configuration i still shaved another .9 seconds off of my previous best lap time, at carolina motorsports park, compared to october.

last night, i just got back from VIR sunday night. First time there. AMAZING track and facility. the elevation changes and blind turn-exits make it really challenging.

while there, i bought a 94 GT, which is alerady set up for the camaro mustang challenge.

lastly (nextly), i am heading to road atlanta march 13th for another NASA event.

the more i learn about corner carving (which is still just the tip of the iceberg), the more i realize i need to sell my NEW, NEVER installed, NEVER used, UNOPENED, twin turbo kit.
(a) because i do NOT need that kinda power for road course driving, and
(b) it'll free up funds for more SEAT TIME, tires, brake pads, and maybe a few minor mods to the bullitt.

if interested, please see ths advertisement
thanks,
doc

·
Registered
668 Posts
SOMEbody's been sucking on the "go fast crack pipe..."

Honestly, I think it's a good call on selling the turbos. The only thing those will bring you on a road course (for a while yet) is an "off"!

I also think your 0.9 sec lap shaving is more due to seat time than the kit on the car at this point. When you pulled your BMR arms, were the body-side bushings in one piece or shattered like mine were? FWIW, I went to the Maximum Motorsports competition arms, and haven't regretted it one bit!

How did the car feel after going back to the stock bars? Any better in the understeer department? I may need to go that route to save points for TT...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SOMEbody's been sucking on the "go fast crack pipe..."

Honestly, I think it's a good call on selling the turbos. The only thing those will bring you on a road course (for a while yet) is an "off"!
yup.

I also think your 0.9 sec lap shaving is more due to seat time than the kit on the car at this point.
yup
When you pulled your BMR arms, were the body-side bushings in one piece or shattered like mine were?
1 piece. the guy at bmr was trying to say the clunk was due to the bolt not fully engaging the nut before the threads bottomed out, (or some B.S. like that).
and suggested that some grade 8 washers 'may take up the slack' and eliminate the clunk . . . they didnt. so off they came.
while i actually liked the slight vibration, transmitted via the rod ends. . .the clunk was intolerable.
FWIW, I went to the Maximum Motorsports competition arms, and haven't regretted it one bit!
do they clunk when you get on the gas? rod ends on both ends for the arms?

How did the car feel after going back to the stock bars? Any better in the understeer department? I may need to go that route to save points for TT...
removing them / it may have incerased the understeer a little,
it seemed to have improved when i initially put the rear sway and LCAs on (more neutral), but it has also been since mid october since i tracked it with the BMR stuff on.
overall, felt fine without it, though the wheel hop on the street is getting annoying.

i need to get a 12v line hooked up in the new car, so i can run the traqmate at road atlanta next month.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, the MM arms are rod/rod, and absolutely NO clunk whatsoever. They are considerably tighter than any poly bushing you could come up with. Just a little bit noisier inside, though (Huh? What?)

Just to clarify, when you swapped to the stock bar, did your push get better or worse? Just do the rear or both? I'm actually considering going to a V6 front bar...

·
Registered
144 Posts
so, i have had two road-course weekends (4 days) in february already,
and the bug is biting harder.

i removed the BMR LCAs due to clunking (stock again), and teh BMR rear sway bar due to un-greasable squeaking (stock again).
surprisingly, in this configuration i still shaved another .9 seconds off of my previous best lap time, at carolina motorsports park, compared to october.

last night, i just got back from VIR sunday night. First time there. AMAZING track and facility. the elevation changes and blind turn-exits make it really challenging.

while there, i bought a 94 GT, which is alerady set up for the camaro mustang challenge.

lastly (nextly), i am heading to road atlanta march 13th for another NASA event.

the more i learn about corner carving (which is still just the tip of the iceberg), the more i realize i need to sell my NEW, NEVER installed, NEVER used, UNOPENED, twin turbo kit.
(a) because i do NOT need that kinda power for road course driving, and
(b) it'll free up funds for more SEAT TIME, tires, brake pads, and maybe a few minor mods to the bullitt.

if interested, please see ths advertisement
thanks,
doc
Hello,
Interesting post as I too am leaving the 'straight line' racing to try my hand at road courses.
I also have experienced BMR LCA bushing failure. At one point all of my bushings front and back on the LCA's cracked at the same time. After contact with BMR (they are great to deal with) they were replaced. I was told they received a bad batch. I have not had any issues since.
Good luck on the turbos, I am try to sell all of my N20 stuff as well. These road racing parts are expensive!

Jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sold it
thanks for looking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts