Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my long ass story.

My car has been smoking like a mofo for the last 500 miles. Its a white smoke like it has a bad headgasget. It was bubbling in the coolant resovar. (It also has a leaky waterpump and a bad heater core too) My boss (an ASE Cert. mechanic) used the NJ emissions sniffer to test if there where hydrocarbons coming from the coolant resoviar. None. Ran for 45 mins straight at idle and 15 mins at 2500 rpms. No overheating. I've driven 500 miles since then w/o any overheating problems. It does get hot when the coolant gets low. I add about 2 gallons every 3 days. It still runs pretty good, but smokes pretty bad. I noticed it dosnt have the sound it used too. I think it may also have a miss fire. I tested the compression and all came back within specs. My boss said this meant that it more than likley wasn't the headgasget. None of the plugs appeared to be fouled or show and abnormal signs or wear. (Tune up isn't even 12k miles old yet)
Front of engine:
145 145
145 130
145 130
150 155
Back of engine
I asked for some suggestions and some people said maybe I had a cracked intake. I pulled it off today and it shows no signs of being cracked or leaking coolant from inside. The intake gasget was also ok. So now I'm thinking it must be the headgasget. But I don't want to take the heads off if there is a chance it might not be the headgasget. Maybe I have a cracked head? A lot of air seems to be getting into the cooling system. Whenever I take the cap off i can hear the bubble gurgling in the radiator/coolant resovior.

Here's a list of what done to my car:
1996 GT 4.6 87k miles
Mobil 1 synth.
MAC Cai
Possibly a Pro M MAF (unsure as it was on the car when i got it)
RAM Clutch
Cobra T45
custom o/r x pipe
MAC cat back
FRPP 4.10 w/ speedcal
bullit suspension

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You have covered all the easy stuff lol, BTW I sold that intake sorry but a relative needed it. I have a set of heads also if you need them one is got some nicks in it but it pressure tested fine..now back to the subject it almost has to be the headgasket or the head more likely the gasket. Is the smoke coming out of the tailpipe if so that would be my guess good luck and let me know what you find either way

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
badfast96 said:
You have covered all the easy stuff lol, BTW I sold that intake sorry but a relative needed it. I have a set of heads also if you need them one is got some nicks in it but it pressure tested fine..now back to the subject it almost has to be the headgasket or the head more likely the gasket. Is the smoke coming out of the tailpipe if so that would be my guess good luck and let me know what you find either way
well if it is the head, i'm going headswap all the way. UNless I get a good deal on a PI 99+ engine. :)

Nummys4.6 said:
Honestly both sides are a bit low, I'd take it apart and start a rebuild.:(
both side a bit low? they are all within normals specs acording to my boss. (125-175 w/ 150 being the average)

·
Registered
71 Posts
To me anything below 150 is on its way out, of course you car probably has some miles on it. It is in the "normal" spectrum for a daily driven street car I guess, but its not something that can take much abuse

·
Registered
138 Posts
look around I got my headwap done for 525.00 shipped to my door that included the intake. Its not ported but it will be this fall when the cams go in:D I got mine off of Corral but I have seen several sets go on ebay for around 500 the intake is another 100 almost anywhere

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
badfast96 said:
look around I got my headwap done for 525.00 shipped to my door that included the intake. Its not ported but it will be this fall when the cams go in:D I got mine off of Corral but I have seen several sets go on ebay for around 500 the intake is another 100 almost anywhere
yeah I emailed someone from corral aboout it. I would still need to get all the gasgets and chase down the little nuts and bolts.

I think someone sells a head changing kit for the 4.6. I think it might even be ford. Where did you get all you gasgets and misc hardware from?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Intake manifold gaskets I bought from Ford and there is a place I saw on Stangnet that has an SVO head changing kit that includes the hed gaskets and bolts for like 115 which is cheap and you will need 8 various length 10mm bolts for the heads, 4 on each head. I kjust went to ace and got a bag full of different sizes and kept what I had left over for my collection. You also need the new heater tube and thats it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
badfast96 said:
Intake manifold gaskets I bought from Ford and there is a place I saw on Stangnet that has an SVO head changing kit that includes the hed gaskets and bolts for like 115 which is cheap and you will need 8 various length 10mm bolts for the heads, 4 on each head. I kjust went to ace and got a bag full of different sizes and kept what I had left over for my collection. You also need the new heater tube and thats it
thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Instead of the head changing kit from ford, I suggest you spend the extra coin and get the ARP head stud kit. The stock bolts and the kit bolts are TTY and single use only, you never know when you might have to pull the heads again and the ARPs are cheaper than 2 head kits, plus hold much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nummys4.6 said:
Instead of the head changing kit from ford, I suggest you spend the extra coin and get the ARP head stud kit. The stock bolts and the kit bolts are TTY and single use only, you never know when you might have to pull the heads again and the ARPs are cheaper than 2 head kits, plus hold much better.
well I'd like to get everything together soi I know that I'm not missing anything when i go to put it back together.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well...

...I might know of a Ford dealer that can get you all the parts needed for the swap, try: Universal Ford of Baltimore ;)
410-655-2000 parts ext 404

Randy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: well...

R. Stinchcomb said:
...I might know of a Ford dealer that can get you all the parts needed for the swap, try: Universal Ford of Baltimore ;)
410-655-2000 parts ext 404

Randy
how much though?

Parkway ford has everything for 1260 shipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts