Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at mounting my battery in the trunk to move the weight where I can use it, I would love to hear peoples outcomes with this mod and also who makes a good kit, that will include the cable and kill switch to be legal at a track. I've heard this can become a huge headache, please feel free to chime in.

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
I don't know who has the best kit but their might be some questions when buying and also installing you want to ask>
1) Will the switch actually kill motor and juice or just kill juice and not motor
2)what type of switch and how it mounts plus where you think you want it
3)are you going to need to run a additional hot wire from jct box under hood back to battery so your computer on car doesn't loose sufficient voltage needed not to shut down during starting car.

The reason I stated all this is because the the switch killed power but not the motor , because alt. kept car running without battery,so what I did was wired a switch into the voltage regulator so when I drag race flip the voltage reg. off and back on when I hit the pits, Also the reason I ran 1 hot wire from junction box under hood to rear battery plus 1 hot wire from starter solenoid to battery to keep from drawing to much voltage from computer on start up. Where I mounted my switch was right side of license plate if want pics of install let me know.

mofasta

·
Registered
889 Posts
You Can Spend 80-500 Bucks. Does It Have To Look Good, Pass Tech, Single Or Dual Batts? P.s. Use Welding 1 Guage Wire. Great Stuff. Most Important Is To Ground In Multiple Places.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I

The reason I stated all this is because the the switch killed power but not the motor , because alt. kept car running without battery,so what I did was wired a switch into the voltage regulator so when I drag race flip the voltage reg. off and back on when I hit the pits, Also the reason I ran 1 hot wire from junction box under hood to rear battery plus 1 hot wire from starter solenoid to battery to keep from drawing to much voltage from computer on start up. Where I mounted my switch was right side of license plate if want pics of install let me know.

mofasta
sounds comlicated??? the switch doesnt designate hw the car is illed..the wiring oes

all you need to do is get a kit (box and wires) and a switch (twist or push pull). mount the box on the pass side, run a power wire from the battery to the starter, in or out of car, your choice. and youll have to get a second wire made up for the alt. then you run that new wire form the alt to the switch also. the alt cannot be tied into the circuit up front because when you kill the juice only, the car still runs. you need to cut the alt off form all power at the hit of the switch. mine has been exactly like this for 4 years and I havent touched it.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Here is how I did mine. It's a little more involved, but my goal was to have as little power running through the car as possible when the key was off.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I used Tony's diagram, for the same reason he mentioned. Moving the battery is an involved process if you want to do it correctly. It's also pricier than most plan for when using quality components. I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, sounds like a real headache, Sounds easier to convert to a tubular K-member and A-arms than doing this.

·
Registered
725 Posts
BLK_03, that was a super clean install! Looks great! That was some real nice cable you installed too. Welding cable if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Tony, by your diagram, does it cut the alt off from running the car when the switch is pulled?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
BLK_03, that was a super clean install! Looks great! That was some real nice cable you installed too. Welding cable if I'm not mistaken.
Correct. Welding cable. VERY flexible. Goes where you tell it

Wow, sounds like a real headache, Sounds easier to convert to a tubular K-member and A-arms than doing this.
None of it is a headache. Time consuming.... yes. Difficult... not really.

Tony, by your diagram, does it cut the alt off from running the car when the switch is pulled?
Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Tony, you talk to Al about what gap your going to do with the rings?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.