Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone know if there is a TSB for this?

I have always had this, but it is definetely become more pronounced. A friend of mine told me he thought there was a TSB out for it.

CLick or popping sound from both sides of the rear of the car. Happens when you start to move or accelerate from slow roll.

I am debating whether to take it to a dealer to have it checked or to drive it until something breaks and get it fixed right at a performance shop.

Until now I was just chalking it up as another Ford sound effect, but when I gave someone a ride last weekend they even noticed it without me saying anything about it.

I am afriad of taking my car to t he dealer because even if there is a TSB they might try to blame the problem on my pulley or chip... might seem unlikely ...but not in NJ...

I dont want to void my entire warrenty for a sound that so far hasnt effected anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Yeah I found it...thanks.

Sounds like no big deal. Some people are saying it comes back.

I think Ill just leave it alone. Ill get a louder exhaust so I cant hear it!

what a car though ahhhhhhh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Click/pop noise emits from both sides? Got this error message:

"The requested URL /users/zo6slayer/TSB was not found on this server."

What did the TSB mention?

MJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

the TSB was for service to tighten some bolts in the rear suspension some where. they need to torque them to spec and the sound goes away. One person said it eventually came back again though. Its apparently a real pain to get to these bolts, therefore several dealers have tried other things first before doing the fix.

Thats exactly what I am afraid of. The dealers around here that i have been to have to try everything else before they do the harder job or the more expensive one. Damage and lots of miles go on your car as they experiment. Im not getting mine fixed since there is no danger of immediate damage. maybe when i go backto the performance shop for something Ill have them look at it and pay to get it fixed rather than have ford employees out joyriding in my car again.

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Come on guys! Jack up the rear, take off the tires, torque em down. 18mm, 15mm.

I did springs last week and it pops like crazy. Now I know I was wussy on the wrenching after looking at the torque specs. Good thread!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's right.... These bolts are pretty easy to get to. Just take the tires off. The toughest ones might be the bolts clamping the stabilizer bar down (not the end links).

Go get 'em.

:shocked

·
Registered
277 Posts
Anyone have a picture? This might help me and others.:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: TSB for pop click

"Sounds like no big deal. Some people are saying it comes back, i'll just wait till it breaks"

Silver please dont take this as a flame but to me and maybe some others i think this is a Big F'ing deal and here's why?

i have a very early build car and a lot of the stuff known about these multitude of problems, came from like you said being a F'ing guinea pig....well i was one of em' and it has not been fun. Ford should not be let off the hook for this crappy ass engineering and quality control.....maybe a 21k GT but not a 35k car...no F'ing way...believe me if your car vibrated and clunked and popped simultaneously as bad as mine did, you would be as pissed as i am....i dont know about where you live but down here there are plenty of roads to drive basically as fast as you want for as long as you want (hello valentine one)...at 120 which is a good interstate cruise speed here the car was unbearable and 140-150 the drivetrain sounded and felt like it might F'ing EXPLODE....do you really want to wait for something to break or some bolt to fall out at those speeds???? i damn sure don't....and yes my popping and creaking is starting to return in a big way....this whole mess is complete BS....as a lifelong blue oval person, i have been completely embarrased for Ford...the people that rode in my car were shocked that this bad ass cobra could be such a complete piece of shit....except for the awesome ticking motor that jammed them back in their seat of course

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Guys, we are talking about just a few bolts that need to be re-torqued, that's all. Shit comes loose. Take off the tires. 18mm, 15mm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just some bolts need retorquing

no flame but i am way too busy to take off my tires and retorque a bunch of crap on my new car every week or two.....a better question is why doesn't it stay torqued to spec....i didn't buy this car to work on it.... if i'm going to work on it t will be for enhancement mods, not doing Ford's work for them...i've got a 87 5.0 LSC that i can do all the tinkering and crap on.......this is a 2003 car that is 8 mos. old and has 2100k on it....and i'm pissed because i havent done any mods because i'm not going to mod until i'm satisfied the problems are fixed and fixed right....well i did finally put a UPR shifter on today and yes i did it myself

1 - 17 of 17 Posts