Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent a lot of time talking with Jim from JDM at the Mod shootout. I liked his theories on tuning. The JDM car seemed to really run good in Columbus, and it didn't seem too affected by the heat.

All my track runs had been with Diablo chips. I liked the tunes, and the results, but I wanted to give Jim a try to see what he could do.

I went to JDM, the first thing we did was strap down the car. What a group of pros at JDM!. They really pay attention to the details. From a special spark plug cover that keeps the coil packs pressed down with a small hole for the dyno tach pick up to sneak in, to using a "Bung" for A/F ratio, to using a scan tool to verify the IC temperature to be the same for each pull, to data logging exactly what happens during the pull, Everything is top notch!

We first baselined the car. The Diablo chip made great power, 473 HP! Now this was a balls to the walls race tune I had requested for the shootout, and it delivered. It was balls to the walls though, with lots of timing, and a lean A/F, not suitable for pump gas tune. This is not a complaint, that is what I wanted for the shootout.

We put in the superchip and proceeded to see how close we could get HP wise to the race tune, with a conservative street tune.

Jim managed to get more low end and more midrange, 474 ft lbs to 461 ft lbs. The top ended up being down very slightly to 463 HP. That is with between 1-2 full points more A/F and 2 degress less timing.

The real proof of any tune is the track.

I went to Cecil last night, and for those of you not in the NE, it was unbeliveably hot and HUMID!. Fortunatly it didn't rain, and since it had rained earlier, and it looked like more was coming, there were not many cars, so I could make lots of passes.

I made a total of 7 passes, trying to let the car at least cool a little between runs. I missed third on two, so I didn't include them below.

The first 2 were on the regular JDM tune, the next three runs ( 1 missed 3rd run not shown below)were with the same JDM superchip tune but with with 2 degrees extra timing but with the same A/F.

The last run shown was with the Diablo street program. That program only has a 6500 rev limit and I kissed it and bit the car stumbled on the 2-3 shift.

I came around to try again, and missed third, then the lanes closed.

I was a little too nervous to try the original shootout tune.

Here are the slips:

For scientific comparison these 5 runs corrected:
11.61 @ 121.07
11.59 @121.56
11.56 @121.07
11.56 @121.30
11.71 @ 120.7
JT

·
Registered
863 Posts
Awesome Runs & Comparison JT ! :D I almost went but got off work too late...

You are very consistent on your 60' times & ET ! Especially in that Heat. You can definately see where the timing is getting the ET down a few tenths.

I wish I would have gone now! I would have connected my Palm AutoTap and Datalogged each run to also compare RPM, MAF rate, and timing.

Jon L

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have to spring for the Autotap set up.
It would be nice to know exactly what is going on during the runs.

JT

·
Registered
863 Posts
If you do JT go for the Palm program and get a faster Palm then I did. I got the M105 and hot-rodded it with a CPU program but the M515 works much better and datalogs faster increments !

JL

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Nice writeup JT and thanks for the information. I agree with you 100%, JDM is top notch all the way. Jim D'Amore always goes the extra mile and impresses the hell out of me every single time I go there.

I think that it's pretty damn impressive that the JDM Superchip was able to almost match the HP and EXCEED the torque of the Diablo race tune with 2 points more fuel (less lean) and 2 degrees less timing! And, from the looks of your timeslip, it's faster at the track as well!

Safer and faster? I guess there's something BIG to be said for tuning expertise!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Nice writeup, I have been contemplating getting another tune for my car. I havent been back to the dyno yet and seen what the a/f is like with the new Offroad and Catback.

I think the car has some in it, not sure how much. My car has always run good in the heat for some reason. When I expect it to pick up because of the weather it doesnt. It always does the unexpected.

Nice info though

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been really happy with my JDM tuned Superchip. The dyno with it off and with it on was night and day and so was the power. I know some have expressed misgivings about the Superchip so I'm glad to hear some positive reviews of it. Although I run at a high elevation track that generally has a density altitude of 4,000 - 5,000 ft, I believe the Superchip was key to allow me to run low 11 second (corrected) times. Seems like a good tune and chip to me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
JT, you will like the AutoTap and get the M515 like Jon said...

I have the M515 and it logs about 10 times a second, pretty good, and you can watch everything there is on the car...

If you dont buy it soon and we can meet up @ atco or something and you can see what it actually does for you and all the parameters that can be used... also it will hopefully show that your custom heat exchanger does you some good and lowers the intake temps...

i might be at atco sunday for NMRA or next thursday for some runs... let me know...

~Geo

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow JT thats freakin amazing power on your shootout tune.You really have a good runner for your mods. I assume those times were on street tires right since you are cutting 1.8 60fts. At any rate I am glad you starting running like this after the shootout and I bet the JDM guys are too!
Congrats and we will have to meet up. My car should be back on the road within a week (hopefully).Its too bad my dr's are spent or I would run you with them.I will be on ET streets and you should fair well if its on my shake down passes. I have no idea where I am going to launch and some idea about shift points.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Dam JT you are are driven! That's massive power out of your setup, more hp and nearly as much tq as mine on a 2.8. Your combo is def. in the sweet spot. Hopefully get to chat again if you are at Atco on Sunday.

Congrats,
Bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice numbers JT and congrats on the nice times!!! :D

Glad to see another great tune from JDM!!! :blob

I would love to see a "chip" competition, with a tune from Sal at PSP (Autologic) versus a JDM superchip tune and a Diablo tune...I would love to compare all 3 on an 03 cobra to see what will make the most power at the safest level...I think it would be a fun comparison..

Jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
JT,
Good info! I always enjoy reading threads like this one.

Black Cobra,
I already have compared the autologic,superchip and diablo chip with several reburns from each tuner and tested them at the track and on the dyno and the autologic and superchip put up the best numbers on my car.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
Nice numbers JT and congrats on the nice times!!! :D

Glad to see another great tune from JDM!!! :blob

I would love to see a "chip" competition, with a tune from Sal at PSP (Autologic) versus a JDM superchip tune and a Diablo tune...I would love to compare all 3 on an 03 cobra to see what will make the most power at the safest level...I think it would be a fun comparison..

Jeff
That's great idea,,,Jim, Sal and Pete..doing a tunning shootout..All we need is to supply the car....
Any Volunteers????

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
That's great idea,,,Jim, Sal and Pete..doing a tunning shootout..All we need is to supply the car....
Any Volunteers????
Why don't you supply your HOT ROD jimmy :D :banggears :worship2

Jeff

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
Why don't you supply your HOT ROD jimmy :D :banggears :worship2

Jeff
Let someone else get a chance..I done my share of testing..

Back to topic:

Great Info JT..You ran great in less then desireable conditions.
The car made great dyno numbers considering in better air you would of produced a bit more boost therefore higher numbers..

·
Registered
449 Posts
JT how much is JDM'S dyno tune cost.does he work with KB supercharges.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts