Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we will be having a ton of options for tuning available very soon. I'm doing my homework on everything so that I can bring you guys the best information on each product that becomes available.

Lets look at the contenders

AutoLogic/Diablo - Two companys that have dominated the market for the past year have joined together. Definately a plus for everyone. Chipmaster Revolution giving tuners full control, what more could you want. The Predator will be out very soon, and will give the end user some tweaking ability. Datalogging and trouble code scanning. A complete package and the price is not bad either. I hope to have one of the first Predators available to do some testing first hand. We are having a dyno day in Atlanta OCT 11th, so I will have some hard numbers on the Predator VERY soon.

EFI Solutions - I hope to find out more info about these guys in the comming days. Until this past week, I had not heard of them. Stay tuned

Superchips/JMS Chip/Fordchip - Looks like another merger, something that we will probably benefit from. They have something comming out soon, I have heard good things about it from high places, but I really don't have any info to share on it. I'll try to find out what I can on this ASAP.

My main reason for posting this thead is to keep all the info in one place. Instead of having multiple threads on the same basic subject.

Let the debating commence! :evil

·
Registered
282 Posts
What a great problem to have...to many choices!!

It looks to me like all the vendors are converging around the "flash" technology. I have heard that Ford will be removing the "chip" port on the next generation ECU's so that flashing through the OBDII port will really be the only game in town. It is good to see the vendors getting ahead of it.

I personally would rather flash than chip given the choice. Flashing should be more reliable (no bad chip connections) and less detectable (warranty friendly).

I like the Diablo/Autologic combo the best. The Preditor looks like a good product a fair price (we shall see). If I can combine my local autologic tuners expertise with the flash capability of the Preditor, I think I get the best of both worlds!

My 2 cents,

Kevin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Obiefox,
Your local AutoLogic dealer will be able to upgrade to the ChipMaster Revolution system if they choose to do so.
Using ChipMaster Revolution they will be able to develop a tune for you in 100% full realtime on the dyno, street or track and then program that into a Predator which you can use to FLASH your PCM.
The Predator allows you to modify parameters yourself anytime you wish after you leave the shop. It will also log data at very high speed (90 samples/sec) plus scan for codes. It's really a neat device.

Mike Wesley - AutoLogic

·
Registered
89 Posts
With our setup you don't need a seperat device for each car unless the cust wants to make changes after you tune it or if he/she wants to tune it themselves from the start. Nice to see one of the orginal founders of performance tunning on the fourms now. Hi Mike. Tim

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Tim, have you considered becoming a supporting sponsor/vendor of this site so you can legitimately advertise for your product yourself? Please contact Eric Books concerning this, as this would only be totally fair to all the current paying sponsors/vendors who dedicate so much of our valuable time and advertising dollars to be able to make posts here and support the consumers and the forums!

As for Mike Wesley being here, well, that is a positive and a given, naturally, as the products he has and offers are sold by many of the sponsors/vendors here, plus the knowledge and experience he does and can offer is definitely needed and appreciated.

Very Sincerely,

James

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes I have spoke with Eric on the subject. As a matter of fact he aproched me first. Thanks for your concern but it has already been taken care of. Tim

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Tim in SC said:
Yes I have spoke with Eric on the subject. As a matter of fact he aproched me first. Thanks for your concern but it has already been taken care of. Tim
It will not be a concern anymore of mine, and MANY other sponsors/vendors on here, when we see the words "Supporting Vendor" or "Sponsor" or "Authorized Advertiser" under your username. Nothing against you, personally, but as a business I think you should work on your advertising practices. You've done this on another site here too in the last few days.

Kind Regards,

James

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just recieved a copy of the SCT software. So far it looks to be an excellent tool. I will review it more and provide feedback within the next few days.

Brian

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Tweecer and like it. The other stuff sounds very promising but since I have a pretty good investment in the tweecer I probably won't get rid of it. BTW, on my particular eec the fuel tables are in Lambda values (.8, etc) and it really isn't that hard to use. I have noticed that on other eec's that the tables are in a/f ratios so I suppose it is just the way Ford programmed the eec in the first place.
Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
I spent the entire morning datalogging various parameters with the Ford Predator...
As Mike Wesley pointed out, it is certainly is a neat device...A beneficial addition to your tuning toolbox...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I believe the issue is because part of the theft control in the SCT system is built into the chips. If they made it able to burn on to any chip then they would have no control over software piracy. As it stands now you have to buy their chips to use the software, and I think it's a reasonable means to keep people from duplicating the software and then finding the cheapest chip. I don't think it's an odd practice though, because right now can only burn a superchip file on a superchip, a diablo file on a diablo chip, and a autologic file on an autologic chip. When you get a big CD full of diablo files because you are a vendor, diablo's way of protecting themselves is by preventing you from burning their files onto other brands of chips by using their encryption.

Although it's not publicly released yet, the version I have is the full version and it comes with the stuff necessary to burn their chips. I'll have to ask them if I can talk more about how the hardware works and what not.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
they are able to use the software to export to bin and hex format, and I am pretty sure they have a way to burn their files on to any chip, but what they are saying in that post is that option won't be available to the consumer.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think you are seeing it a little backwards. I can buy diablo chips to burn my own files on, but I can't buy diablo software to burn on my own chips. You are actually buying the chips from a vendor, so think of it like a blank disk that you have already paid for. Once you buy it you can do anything you want with it.

With the software, if you could use it on any chip what would stop someone from copying it and using their own chips, completley avoiding paying SCT any money for the software being used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Superchip

I had a Superchip flip chip in my '02 Lightning that had 643 rwhp and 773 rwtq.
I always had trouble getting a good somewhat safe burn from tuners. It was a independently built truck not tied to anyone tuner's camp. The last tune I got was for 18 pounds of boost, 150 shot and 50 pound injectors running race gas (I run 110+). Well last week at the track right after the 330' mark it melted down both heads and all 8 plugs. It was a Superchip major failure. I don't believe it was the tuners fault but a chip failure.
I like the idea of using the Predator because that truck was competing against the very tuner who tuned my chip and right or wrong it opens up too many questions
in my mind. With the Superchip I need a tuner that could put my interest first when tuning my chip and I couldn't find one.
Jagged Edge

1 - 20 of 30 Posts