Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
if the chip itself failed it would have turned off your car and flashed the theft light. 8 plugs burning to me sounds like a lean condition w/detonation. I've done a ton of chips, and I've worked with every brand out there. I'd like to hear how they explained that it was a physical chip failure, because I do not see how that's possible. Actually there's no way.

Brian

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
bjherron said:
if the chip itself failed it would have turned off your car and flashed the theft light. 8 plugs burning to me sounds like a lean condition w/detonation. I've done a ton of chips, and I've worked with every brand out there. I'd like to hear how they explained that it was a physical chip failure, because I do not see how that's possible. Actually there's no way.

Brian
As a chip is merely comprised of a couple of integrated circuit chips (i.e. FLASH ROM and FPGA) and some passive components, it is highly unlikely BUT not impossible that it failed after some period of time. I'm sure some chips fail from "infant mortality" (ie. DOA or fail in the first few seconds of power up) but I doubt yours just died after extended use without some external influence.

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
bjherron said:
but when the chip fails, it kills power to the vehicle. I don't see how a chip could fail and just affect timing and fuel.
I agree. The only thing I have seen a lot of is failure of semiconductors due to electrostatic discharge. In this case, all bets are off. For example, if you cook one address line, the PCM will start fetching data from the wrong locations in memory. If the lines are muxed (data/address) you will get corrupt address and data. So, if a person (mis)handles a chip and subjects the device to damaging levels of electrostatic discharge, it's hard to say what would happen. IMO, this is user error and not a spurious hardware failure. So, I agree with your statement but with some caveat.

MJ

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Re: Superchip

Jagged Edge said:
I always had trouble getting a good somewhat safe burn from tuners.
IMHO, he summed it up himself.

I'm not sure if he went mail order or not, but this sort of combination he's running, with that much power (good gosh that's a lot for a Lightning), is definitely not the easiest thing for a tuner to dial in right unless it is in person.

Sincerely,

James

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Re: Superchip

RWTD said:
IMHO, he summed it up himself.

I'm not sure if he went mail order or not, but this sort of combination he's running, with that much power (good gosh that's a lot for a Lightning), is definitely not the easiest thing for a tuner to dial in right unless it is in person.

Sincerely,

James
I certainly didn't go the mail order route, but what I needed was a tuner who listened, followed the list of modifications, advise and dedicate an appropriate amount of time to burning that chip, not doing it along with 20-50 other chips.
The tune I needed at those power levels was critical and it needed to be done by a individual with the integrity to do the best he could and not be swayed by his own agenda. The tuner was at the track and competing against me at the event. When all this happened and I went to talk to him he pretened not to see me from 5 feet away, turn around and walked away. I stopped him and said I was not interested in accessing blame, there are too many variables for that and he replied it's my engine builders fault for not torquing the ARP head bolt right. When I asked if he could check the chip he told me his computer was broken and walked away. Then and there I figured I had gone too far in building a competion truck and could not trust the integrity of the tuners I knew to continue my efforts to build a low to mid 10 second truck. I sold the truck and bought my SVT 10th Anniversary Cobra, and I love it and I am not looking back.
bjherron, thank you for you imput... where were you when I was looking for a tuner I coud trust.
Thanks
Ron
Jagged Edge

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Ron,
IMO that absolutley sucks. Any performance shop that treats a customer (paying or not) that way will not last. Sorry to hear it came out of your pocket.

If you have any tuning questions about the 03's let me know!

Brian

·
Registered
157 Posts
bjherron said:
Ron,
IMO that absolutley sucks. Any performance shop that treats a customer (paying or not) that way will not last. Sorry to hear it came out of your pocket.

If you have any tuning questions about the 03's let me know!

Brian
I pay for my tunes. The tuner is the largest Lightning tuner. A good portion of the parts came from his shop. I understand with all that I done this kind of thing happens but would happen again and again if the tuner is serving his own agenda. I say this because of the way he acted.
I sold the truck to someone, both of us thinking it was only a head gasket. It turns out to be a whole lot more and I just can't stick it to him so I am having the engine rebuilt. The engine builder, James at Race Related, is going to rebuild it for me for the cost of parts. To me that's going above and beyond. too bad he doesn't do chips.
Thanks
Ron

Mods: SuperChip Flip Chip, Boost By-Pass, Cool Air Intake, 6# pulley w/ cage, NGK TR6 Plugs gapped .032, Factory Tech Valve Body, 4x4 Trans Pan, Electric Fan, Cobra R Water Pump, 170 Degree Thermostat, Accufab TB, Rancho Traction Bars, 3 gauge pillar pod w/boost, oil and fuel pres gauges, Wide band A/F gauge, drive shaft loop and shaker hood, oil breather cap, oil separator, Bell Tech 2" lowering shackles and 28/16x14.5 Hoosier's.
Just added; Bassani cat back, Monster Box Trans w/ PI tq converter, Kenne Bell SC 20# of boost and fuel Boost a Pump, matched flow tested 50# injectors, ZEX dry kit,150 shot and chrome moly cage.

Engine build:
Manley H rods, Manley Plat pistons, Ferrea ss valves, 5 angle valve job, speed pro plasma moly rings, new bearings, ARP head bolts & studs, balanced assembly, blueprint the build up, and billet internals.

Dyno 9/18/03: with above mods, 88 degrees
643 rwhp / 773 rwtq.
20#boost

·
Registered
577 Posts
Eric and others,

I will let you know how the EFI Solutions tuning works out after the dyno day at JD's. I will see the 3D graphs and all that put to good use by Joe and Tim that day.

I just hope I have a real strong, well running car to drive home that day.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts