Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get the SCT Pro Tuner pack, but I cant find any information whatsoever on what the software can do, what it includes etc. I understand I need a chip or a programmer to download, but their website says absolutely nothing about it.
I tune GMs with HPTuners and looking for something similar with a datalogging capability so I dont know if it includes something to datalog with, and if the datalogging software is any good, or difficult to use while driving. Does anyone use this regularly that might be able to explain what the package includes, what I need to purchase to make it work correctly, and if I need something else for datalogging, what it is I need? Not looking for someone to babysit me and teach me to tune, just to explain what I need to purchase and what I am purchasing. I also of course need to purchase the software so hopefully whoever helps also sells SCT products!

If Diablo stuff is decent, I already have a predator, but I didnt know if they had a similar software available at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

·
VMP Tuning
2,911 Posts
The parts are purchased individually, you would need the sct racer software and an sct tuner/flasher/datalogger.

IMO you are better off going with a flasher because there will be no conection issues and because the flasher also serves as a datalogger.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I figured someone would post before I finished my post... Oh well.

I assume you are referring to the Pro Racer Custom Tuning Package. If you are then this is basically only the tuning software. As you mentioned you need a chip or a handheld programmer to get the tune on the vehicle. The handheld programmers double as a datalogging device which can be used in conjunction with a laptop or stand alone. The datalogging software is called Live Link and it is a free download from SCT.

From my understanding the Pro Racer software is basically the same as the Dealer version except you only have the ability to tune a single car. Which means you are able to have full control over the PCM to change maf curves, spark tables, gear ratios, and much more. I believe most of the dealers who sell the Pro Racer software also provide some support to get you started. There also used to be a Pro Racer forum section on the SCT website but I have not really been on there in a while so I don't know if it is still around.

It has been a while since I did any datalogging or tuning... I used to use a Xcal 2 hooked to a laptop to do datalogging and it wasn't too hard. Also I hooked a Innovate LC-1 wideband up to the analog port on the Xcal 2 and could datalog my air fuel ratio along with the other parameters I wanted to look at. The nice thing about using a laptop to datalog with is you can log a lot of parameters (30+) at once and then do data analysis later using Excel.

To start tuning on my car I bought the Pro Racer software and a Xcal 2 programmer. Then I also bought the Innovate LC-1 wideband. Along with that I bought the SCT tuning handbook which helped me get started. I never did finish my tune but to my knowledge I had all the necessary pieces.

00Roush

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured someone would post before I finished my post... Oh well.

I assume you are referring to the Pro Racer Custom Tuning Package. If you are then this is basically only the tuning software. As you mentioned you need a chip or a handheld programmer to get the tune on the vehicle. The handheld programmers double as a datalogging device which can be used in conjunction with a laptop or stand alone. The datalogging software is called Live Link and it is a free download from SCT.

From my understanding the Pro Racer software is basically the same as the Dealer version except you only have the ability to tune a single car. Which means you are able to have full control over the PCM to change maf curves, spark tables, gear ratios, and much more. I believe most of the dealers who sell the Pro Racer software also provide some support to get you started. There also used to be a Pro Racer forum section on the SCT website but I have not really been on there in a while so I don't know if it is still around.

It has been a while since I did any datalogging or tuning... I used to use a Xcal 2 hooked to a laptop to do datalogging and it wasn't too hard. Also I hooked a Innovate LC-1 wideband up to the analog port on the Xcal 2 and could datalog my air fuel ratio along with the other parameters I wanted to look at. The nice thing about using a laptop to datalog with is you can log a lot of parameters (30+) at once and then do data analysis later using Excel.

To start tuning on my car I bought the Pro Racer software and a Xcal 2 programmer. Then I also bought the Innovate LC-1 wideband. Along with that I bought the SCT tuning handbook which helped me get started. I never did finish my tune but to my knowledge I had all the necessary pieces.

00Roush
Awesome! that was the answer I was looking for! I already have the AEM wideband, I think I am going to go with the pro tuner and the handheld so I can datalog... seems like VMP has a good setup so just waiting to hear back from him!

·
Registered
675 Posts
for you're 03 cobra, SCT Pro Racer Package is hands down the best option.....Justin from VMP tuning not only worked for SCT, but has also contributed a lot to the functionality of the software for the PCMs in the terminator cobras.....and once you purchase the PRP, you can get access to SCT's private forum for PRP users (by just simply emailing SCT), where not only experienced enthusiasts can help you, but truly knowledgeable people from SCT & top SCT tuners/calibrators from around the country, including Justin

some say it has a steep learning curve, but if you're truly dedicated and willing/wanting to learn, you wont regret it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for you're 03 cobra, SCT Pro Racer Package is hands down the best option.....Justin from VMP tuning not only worked for SCT, but has also contributed a lot to the functionality of the software for the PCMs in the terminator cobras.....and once you purchase the PRP, you can get access to SCT's private forum for PRP users (by just simply emailing SCT), where not only experienced enthusiasts can help you, but truly knowledgeable people from SCT & top SCT tuners/calibrators from around the country, including Justin

some say it has a steep learning curve, but if you're truly dedicated and willing/wanting to learn, you wont regret it
It sounds like ive made the right choice then! Hopefully he gets back to me today, but I will probably wait until next month just so I can get the SCT MAF and Stiegemier on first and get the free tune that wont need to be changed right away!

·
Registered
237 Posts
i understand only being able to tune one car but say i want too change something on the tune justin sent me,like shift firmness,am i able to do this ?i was told the dealers locked their tunes to keep you from changing things,blow up the car and then blame their tune.so i dont blame them.but the ex2 doesnt allow for much change in shift firmness for me so i figure if i could change it on the lap top it sure would be nice.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
With PRP the dealer should have sent you a modifiable tune file. It can be locked to your flash device to stop you from sharing the base file, but you can modify all parameters.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i know the dealer i buy it from can send the program so i can change it but what if its a emailed or copy of a program from other dealers?in other words if say i have three differrannt programs from three differannt dealers can i make changes to them to go in the one vehicle the prp was bought for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts