Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bet that is going to be nasty. All that horsepower it takes to turn that eaton will be a thing of the past. Thing should see low 9's one would think. ( solid axle )

·
Registered
94 Posts
$7500 without tuning, and deleting A/C, so not streetable in Austin, TX? Not quite.

Awesome to see some turbo development, but I think that misses the market mark for a lot of us.

Supras with big single turbos kick ass because they run in full street trim.

The '03 Cobra's best feature is that it's a street car that can be made to run 9's already within less than a year.

Hopefully they'll continue to develop and remember two golden rules for the market:

1. Street trim includes A/C
2. $5,000 or less is best

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
what about the kit coming out from Pro Turbo, I think that is going to be fully streetable.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to top the KB setup..How much can you really use??

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a point where the Power is useless.
I have taken power out of cars and they went faster...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
There is a point where the Power is useless.
I have taken power out of cars and they went faster...
Thats true for a street car.But with a solid axle I am sure you could get it to hook up with more power.Maybe the turbo will push the motor to its breaking point.I am shocked nobody has grenaded one yet. Thumbs up to Ford and SVT!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
SSled said:
I am shocked nobody has grenaded one yet. Thumbs up to Ford and SVT!
There have been 03 motors blown up, but all I've seen were either defective parts at normal power levels, just like any mass produced engine, or modified cars (boost/nitrous) running too lean. You can still burn a hole through the pistons :)

But I've never heard of any letting go from too much power when a proper A/F ratio is maintained. I'd guess it's good for over 1000 HP.

For comparison, I've seen plenty of pictures of stock 5.0 blocks literally cracked in half lengthwise down the middle of the block at around the 500-600 RWHP level. That's just from too much power, no tuning issues.

My main concern with the 03 engine is the oil pump. The rest of the shortblock is built like a brick shit house.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think the Cobra should have been a factory turbo car. But that's my opinion. :smoker For the ultimate, like a Cobra R, 5.4L DOHC with a single or twin turbo. :D Just my two cents. - John

·
Registered
79 Posts
I spoke with Keith Campbell of Pro Turbo Kits at WFC6.
Expect a working 03 kit on a car within 30 days.
You'll have your AC, but for under $5,000 ... ?

Jamie

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
thanks for the update Jamie, thats good news. I can't wait to see what they come out with, I still can't decide between the KB or a turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is our new prototype Turbo Kit and Box intake utilizing the factory air/liquid cooler under the Box intake, this car had run a best of 10.91(stock blower, NO NITROUS) prior to the Turbo so we will see what it can do. Let us know your comments and if you feel there is a market for this kit, we are estimating retail pricing in the $7500 Range WITH INTAKE, 76mm Innovative turbo, 304 Stainless 1 5/8 Jet Hot Headers and Y-pipe, 1/2 Thick stainless aluminum Turbo bracket and 3.5 Downpipe, Currently this is a Race only kit as it does delete the A/C. HP results will be released soon!

X2C Special Projects

www.x2cmotorsports.com

ps, we are more than happy to answer any tech questions on this forum. These kits are available now for custom install at our race shop in SO. CAL. .

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMPRESSIVE!

·
Registered
618 Posts
uys no one anwsered Erics questio, whats to stop the coolant tank from melting or other accesiories I've had turbos before and they melt anything ,and evrything, they get real Hot!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts