Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turbo i am purchasing has the option to run coolant through it. well has anyone ever tried to make a sand alone ccolant kit? I was thinking of running a 3 Gal cell in the trunk, use the factory coolant pump from my 03 cobra's factory setup and and a oil cooler with a fan that can be mounted in the bumper to cool the turbo instead of tieing into the cars cooling system. I can some how have the car trigger the pump off intake temp like it did with the blower.

Just a thought, figure it cant hurt and if something ever happened to the turbo, the cars coolant system wont be compromised.

· Registered
709 Posts
If your worried about the cooling system then just get a journal bearing turbo. I think the coolant cooled option and ball bearing is too much hype. Not worth the extra $ IMHO.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried, thought it would just help. Journal bearing turbo's handle the heat better then ball bearing? I was planning on a turbo timer also. I am just trying to take all the percausion in building my system.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
if you are running a water cooled turbo then there is absolutely no need for a turbo timer. if something did happen to the turbo the rest of the cooling system would not be affected. the oiling system and bearings are seperated from the water jackets in the turbo. there really would be zero benefit from using a stand alone cooling system. i would take all that and use it to build a nice air/water intercooler setup

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, now how would you go about tapping into the cooling system for the turbo? Using the cars system to cool the turbo will not effect cooling on the motor? I have a fluidyne radiator in the car so that adds capacity.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
no it will have almost no effect on the cooling of the engine. you could use the stock radiator without a problem. there is only a very small amount of coolant that runs through the turbo. you can tap into the heater hoses that go to your heater core. that is how most of them are done

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the hard line under the intake? I canadd a Tee there andreturn it into the upper radiator hose?

· Registered
2,075 Posts
You probably could do that. But most people just cut the rubber heater hoses and put t fitting adapters in both hoses . One water line connected to the heater hose going into the heater core and one line coming from the hose coming out of the heater core

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What ever I do has to look CLEAN. What size -AN line would I run?? -6 or -8? I run a -8 for my head coolant mod.

Another question, what size oil feed to the turbo and return to the pan?

· Registered
2,075 Posts
oh yea and the heater core actually is somewhat of a small heat exchanger. you extract heat from it with the blower motor when you turn the air on

· Registered
962 Posts
I have ran a journal bearing turbo for years with no coolant lines and no turbo timer. I have never had a issue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.