Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I wanted to pass along some info for you. I was in San Antonio this past weekend announcing The Clash of The Titans race. It is largely sponsored by Pro Turbo Kits (www.proturbokits.com) of the same city. Keith Campbell runs this shop, which I toured, and it is a very professional operation. Anyway, I asked Keith about turbocharging an 03 Cobra - just from a conceptual standpoint. He has been working on this project, and I was glad to hear that his vision of the final kit mirrors what I would want if I were to do this modification.

The most important point that Keith mentioned is that he would like to retain the stock intercooler (probably with a larger heat exchanger) and use a custom intake adapter in place of the stock Eaton. He also feels that a tubular K-member is a must - that's no surprise to anyone that's worked on these cars. Keith has everything to make this application a reality except for said intake adaptor.

Power? Well, I asked Keith how much a simple setup like this would make, not even discussing head units, etc. His response was, "How much do you want to make?" In other words, this arrangement will make even the vaunted KB `03 Cobras look weak. A manageable 750 rwhp on pump gas is my best guess although Keith never shot me a number. With race fuel, etc., I'm sure you could make 1000 hp without breaking a sweat. Will the bottom end break? Well, we'll just have to wait and find out won't we?

As for fuel system and final tuning, I'm really on sure which way to suggest. It is likely that a chip would work fine, but Mike Murillo is in the same city and his experience with the FAST system would have to be taken into consideration.

Good luck,
Jamie

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would love to a see a turbo on a 03 Cobra. After looking at their website, perhaps a turbo won't cost as bad as I thought. Wonder what turbo they will offer? I imagine at least a T76 for starters then maybe a 91.5mm monster. It'll be awhile before I can afford to do major upgrades so I think I may wait out this and see what comes out.

·
400 Posts
Great research Jamie. Think of all the power it takes to drive our blowers at full boost. Less boost and more power. Gotta love it.

Rick

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Now this sounds interesting to me.:D If this turns into a situation where there will be a "Bolt on" turbo kit that will have good manufacturer support and easily produce 750hp @ the wheels, I will definitely be on the hunt for an 03 to buy. I still think issues such as the IRS and weak tranny in the 03's will need to be addressed as well. From the little I know D&D has the only beefed up tranny to replace the current one. The price on that sucker isn't very attractive though. Anyway thanks for sharing the news. I'm excited to see it make production.

Razor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder if there is enough room to use 2 slightly smaller turbos instead of 1 large turbo. My Audi S4 had virtually NO turbo lag with the 2 small units. Wouldn't that be sweet....No lag, more power, & less pumping loss.:D How do you think a twin turbo Cobra would sound with full 3" exhaust without mufflers.;)

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Dr. Jamie Meyer said:
In other words, this arrangement will make even the vaunted KB `03 Cobras look weak. A manageable 750 rwhp on pump gas is my best guess although Keith never shot me a number.
IMO, a turbo'ed 03 Cobra would definately be faster but NOTHING is going to make the KB 03 look weak...nothing in street trim anyway.

Any vehicle can be turned into a monster. We could build a 1200 HP Hummer. There are a ton of 8-second 4 cylinder ricers out there. And we could make a 1,000 HP 03 Cobra using any boost method...if we used enough (nitrous, supercharger or turbo).

But say goodbye to most characteristics of the stock 03 Cobra in the process. Say goodbye to the awesome IRS, the stock fuel system, stock tranny, stock computer, etc.

And 750 RWHP on pump gas sounds like a stretch to me unless you bowl out the heads to lower base compression. That along with the plumbing system of a turbo and you are looking at some serious investment $$$'s for that setup. There's no arguing that turbo's are the superior boost method of the three - but they're always a big project and BIG BUCKS! It's just not a practical bolt-on project for an 03 Cobra. A turno'ed 03 Cobra is a hack project.

There's no knocking a KB'ed 03 Cobra or a stock Eaton 03 Cobra for that matter. 10 and 11-second TRUE street cars are no joke! 10-second TRUE street cars with all the 03 Cobra luxuries...and running 10's on pump gas....that's just AMAZING!

The investment in a bolt-on KB blower and what you get for your money....it's a bargain that is second to none.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What will make you "weak" is the idea of passing a smog test with a turbo setup on a 4 cam and the knowledge that if any cop opens your hood he will call a flatbed!!!! Even if you pay someone 200-300 dollars each time you need to have it smogged, it could still easily turn into a nightmare. Let's not forget the 32 plus hours they figure it is gonna take to install it!! Compare that with the 3(first time) hours it took me to swap my Kennebell back to my Eaton for warranty, and I will pass on the extra horsepower a turbo would offer. I am happy with a 10 sec. street car that the local authorities have already looked closely and shrugged their shoulders at. If I want to run 9's on the street, I might add a little nitrous. I don't knock anyone with the resolve to do something like a turbo but, IMO, it just doesn't make sense to mess with something as easy as a blower swap.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
C'mon guys, a turbo is going to be great. We are not saying that the KB is weak. The KB is the best bang for the buck and can give you more than enough hp. But you can't deny the advantages of a turbo, and like it was mentioned before, as more kits start coming out, the prices aren't that bad and they are bolt on kits. The potential of a turbo is amazing. I think we could see 650rwhp or more on pump gas. Randy- I don't know where you are located but, no cop in my state could ever impound my car if he looked at my engine and saw a turbo. I am glad proturbo will be doing something for the 03, a performance shop in my area is a distributer for them. Lets not make this a competition on which is better, KB or turbo. Lets support both ideas so that way we can learn more about these power adders and our cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in California and cops give guys trouble all the time about mods, especially emissions related. I agree that a properly setup turbo will always outperform a S/C, but I don't see myself spending the time and money to do all that work. I made it clear that this is just my opinion, but if I wanted to go faster than 9 secs in the quarter I would build a stripped 86 with twins and trailer it to the track. A turbo setup, IMO, is just a novelty. Let's not forget the estimated 32-40 hours of install time either!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
RANDY said:
A turbo setup, IMO, is just a novelty. Let's not forget the estimated 32-40 hours of install time either!!!!!
I live in SC, no emissions testing. My other two vehicles are two turbo 4's (SVO and a Merkur). The torque from those little 2.3's is amazing. The thing that put the KB style blower over the turbos is : NO LAG.

BTW, Rome wasn't built in a day so good things don't come quickly. That being said, I'd probably slap a KB on because it's so easy.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me rephrase........A turbo setup in the case of an 03 Cobra is, IMO, a novelty.:D

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I agree to a point, it depends on the reason the person is doing it. If they are only doing it to be different than yes its a novelty. But for me, ever since I sold my supercharged 98GT I wanted to try a turbo next. I was looking at getting a 97-01 cobra and I was going to turbo it. But then when I heard that the 03 motor would have low compression, forged pistons, manley rods. . .ect, I knew that engine would have way more potential. And puting a turbo on an 01 and running 8psi would be a waste compared to getting the 03 and really being able to use a turbo and run 15-25psi.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My 2 cents, Turbo ! Super power, FACT .
Cost, Turbo, fuel sys, Injectors, DFI , = 10.000+ By the time you get done. You will need all of these things.
Then IRS , Trans ? holly shit !!
But it may come to that, Maby next year for me :)
I dont have maga bucks to spend,

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
RANDY said:
What will make you "weak" is the idea of passing a smog test with a turbo setup on a 4 cam and the knowledge that if any cop opens your hood he will call a flatbed!!!!
Why would they call a flatbed?:confused:

I would probably go with the KB since it is substantially easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
309 Posts
nitrous pete said:
My 2 cents, Turbo ! Super power, FACT .
Cost, Turbo, fuel sys, Injectors, DFI , = 10.000+ By the time you get done. You will need all of these things.
Then IRS , Trans ? holly shit !!
But it may come to that, Maby next year for me :)
I dont have maga bucks to spend,
I agree with Pete.

Big bucks for everything you will need. The reason I bought the 03 was to keep it very streetable, with A/C, without having to sink much more into it.

If you want to turn your car into an all out drag car, more power to you, and get a turbo. For that though, I would have bought a used 4 cyl 87-93 and then bought everything to turn it into an all out drag car. And I probably can do it for less than my initial 03 cost.

The KB seems like the best route right now, and it will definately remain streetable. Thumbs up to KB. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know guys, aren't there already 5.0 turbo kits for like 5K? I'd pay 5K to go turbo, if for no other reason than to be able to dynamically control the amount of boost I'm pumping out. There are some sweet Gear/MPH/RPM activated boost controllers for turbos. Could cut the boost down REAL low in first, ramp it up a tad in second, third and fourth and lay it wide open in fifth and sixth to deal with the fact that 700+ RWHP won't find traction till 5th anyhow. I have heard someone suggest wiring one of those boost controlers into the factory bypass on the blower, but until someone actually does it (with a REAL boost controller, not that one that looks like a radio knob that you have to manually adjust), I'm all for more efficient CONTROLABLE power with a turbo.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
your right network, the prices aren't that bad. And as more and more kits come out the lower the prices will drop. For example, when TDC was still doing business, they had their brand new kit for the 01 cobra. It included absolutely EVERYTHING. All the piping, intercooler, custom headers, 3'' exhaust, bigger injectors, fuel pump, downpipe, heat sheilds, of coarse all the gauges you need, aircraft quality oil lines and aircraft quality hydra booster lines. . . ect this kit even included a K&N air filter, oil filter, battery relocation box, NGK spark plugs. . .and much more. Don't forget the huge T76 turbo also, and the kit was only $6700 - $6900 and could support 700-900+rwhp if you had the engine to do it with. Sorry if I am rambling, I just get excited because this is what I want to try when I get rid of the eaton, and I am happy I finally have a car that will make some great hp.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Correct. now add the Injectors, DFI, 10.000 :)
whops ! Forgot Intake custom ! 12.000 :shocked

·
Registered
87 Posts
nitrous pete said:
Correct. now add the Injectors, DFI, 10.000 :)
whops ! Forgot Intake custom ! 12.000 :shocked
Pete,

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but I seriously doubt a Turbo kit is going to run anywhere NEAR those prices. HALTECH makes a TWIN turbo kit for the Z06 and installs and warrantys the thing for that kind of bread, and that's on a car where the average part costs 2-4 X what 03 parts cost.

<===Former C5 Owner

Anyhow, GotIncon would be the guys to ask about this, and if I remember correctly, he posted a while back on SVTPerf that fabbing a turbo setup on these things shouldn't be very expensive. :confused:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts