Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK looks like i wont be going nitrous although its still a possibility, everyones trying to talk me out of it, now a friend who works for ford says to go with the turbo (have a shop locally doing them for 5k, good price? ) and then others say go with the super charger. So I figured i'd take it to the boards and see what everyone thought here. Thanks for the help

Car is pretty much stock now so what other mods are needed either way?

·
Registered
802 Posts
firemedic71 said:
OK looks like i wont be going nitrous although its still a possibility, everyones trying to talk me out of it, now a friend who works for ford says to go with the turbo (have a shop locally doing them for 5k, good price? ) and then others say go with the super charger. So I figured i'd take it to the boards and see what everyone thought here. Thanks for the help

Car is pretty much stock now so what other mods are needed either way?
Turbos make awesome power but any time you bring a power adder on board you must be ready to forge the engine. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but when you add significant amounts of power to these things eventually they'll blow up. 5K is a good price, especially if the installation is included. If the kit doesn't inlcude fuel system upgrades remember to get a bigger fuel pump and injectors. Most importantly a good dyno tune will be in order. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed. If you can go with the Turbo do it. You can spin them higher, if you have the motor to do it, and are way more efficient in making power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what other mods are needed with the turbo, havent talked to the shop yet...but dont want to go in not knowing anything...

·
Registered
4 Posts
firemedic71 said:
what other mods are needed with the turbo, havent talked to the shop yet...but dont want to go in not knowing anything...
Well, in addition to the turbo, you will need a downpipe,custom y-pipe,maybe an external waste gate depending on if the turbo came with one or you want it with your setup. Straight through style mufflers like the Dynomax or Magnaflow. You will need custom headers made for the turbo or just flip the stock ones and weld the turbo on with flanges (which is why it is a good idea to have the shop do it) bigger injectors,fuel pump, AFPR, Possibly throttle body. And custom crossover piping.... It'll be a job for anyone installing it, but if you have the funds to buy the parts and have someone do it for you it is the best way to go... GOOD LUCK!!!:blob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Turbos are better in most respects. But you must look into the costs. Turbo setups are usually more costly for a number of reasons.

1) A supercharger can run on the existing exhaust setup. Like said before, with a turbo, you'll need the down pipe, y and crossover (if it's a single turbo setup).

2) Turbo's usually involve a battery relocation kit and possibly an oil filter relocation kit.

3) Turbos usually require heat shielding (which may or may not come with your setup)

There are lots of hidden costs associated with power adders. Because the V-8 community is used to seeing superchargers and nitrous kits, those kits are pretty standardized and there are few, if any hidden costs associated (not withstanding all the implied upgrades such as performance level equipment.....block, exhaust, fuel injectors, fuel pump etc.)

Turbos however haven't really been part of the V-8 community long enough to develop standardized kits. And the places that do sell inlcusive kits charge an arm/leg and your first born child for the kit. That's why most guys go with a supercharger, it's less expensive and less headache (albeit inferior to turbos).

You should give an itemized list of just exactly what your turbo kit includes, then we'll be able to tell you what hidden costs there are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts