Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Nope, my box doesn't look like that. As soon as I click the Insert Image like your first image the popup box looks like your third image. I don't get your second image.

I tried it in IE and Firefox but still don't get that above popup box to show.

ks
Kevin,

Try this to see if it helps. After you click on the Insert Image icon and the Insert Image dialog box pops up, click on the From URL tab instead and check to see if the Retrieve Remote File and Reference Locally option is checked.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 2.37.07 PM.png

If it is not, check it and then select the From Computer tab and attempt to load a pic file to a posting.

Ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
That didn't work either. I tried everything to get that option to show up but nothing.
So I uploaded it to my website instead:

tcwiring.jpg

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Thanks for the perseverance, Kevin. I am going to see if I can get one of our high priests to fix this.

Ed

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Kevin,

Here are some additional thoughts from one of the tech's. If you have a chance could you try them and let me know what happens?

Here is a link to my original request for help and the response, which I didn't think of but might do the trick, click here => Potential Pic Post Fix

Ed

p.s. Here is something else I tried that worked on my computer Kevin, it might work for you also. From the toolbar click on the insert image icon,

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.27.31 AM.png

When you do this dialog box will appear,

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.29.47 AM.png

Click on the From Computer tab and this dialog box will appear.
Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.33.31 AM.png

When it does, click on the select files button and navigate to the file you want to upload. After you select the file click the Open button in the dialog box, see pic below,

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.37.06 AM.jpg

And the following dialog box will appear,

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.41.24 AM.png

When you click the Upload File(s) button in the bottom center of the dialog box your pic should appear in your post.

More mouse clicks but fairly fluid on balance.

Ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't have the privileges to view your link "Potential Pic Post Fix".

Your screen shots of the second and third images look different than mine and it still doesn't work.
I uploaded screen shots to my website and linked them below for you to look at:

ks

View attachment 170625

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Apologies, Kevin had my brain disengaged. The location I sent you to was an Admin forum. You didn't miss much anyhow. I am bummed you can't post without linking to your site. I'll ask the guys to continue to try to find a fix. If something turns up, I'll PM you.

Ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ooo... I thought I was going to get a key to the Teachers Lounge!

ks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
6/22/21: Resurrected from the dead:

Ed/Anyone,
I have the TC functioning however it's not decreasing power fast enough to do any good.
How much timing and how fast can it be retarded w/o hurting anything? I understand theories but they don't do any good without knowing the safe operating limits to apply them.
Boost controller is not connected to the MSPro so cutting boost is not an option at this moment so I prefer to retard the timing to get it working if possible. On just the WG springs it makes 18psi of boost and about 780 if I remember correctly.

I have a log file zipped up if anyone want's to view it in Tuner Studio:

Screen shot of log file for second gear blast:

Below is my current reaction setting, see yellow line. An example that I think I would like to try is in red but is pulling that much timing that fast, safe? Essentially at 15% slip pull 20* of timing and keep pulling up to 30* of timing. Currently going for a test blast timing starts at 28* (no boost) and is pulled back to 13* at full boost.
Based on the log file it looks like the tires started spinning at 7psi.

ks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I talked to my tuner and he said for starters it would be fine to start pulling 20* at 5% slip with drag radials then adjust it from there. He said that the few seconds that the TC is actually pulling timing isn't on long enough to hurt anything. I started at 20* @ 5% slip then backed it down to 15*. This made it a bit smoother while feathering the throttle between 25%-50% but at least I can now feel it getting some occasional traction. I need to figure out how to smooth out the power when TC kicks on/off.
When TC is activated it either pulls 15* or 0*. So at 0* of retard the tires spin like crazy then it pulls 15* then they stop spinning then it goes back to 0* and the tires spin like crazy, etc... the car bucks a lot going from spinning to traction and I want to find a way to smooth this out. Right now feathering the throttle helps keeps things from going too crazy.
Screen shot below of the log file.

ks

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Kevin,

I thought the traction control would pull progressively more timing until the tire slip was reduced to the % slip threshold specified in the tune. The on again /off again nature you are experiencing is not what I would have anticipated. I am going to call DIY on Monday to listen what they say about the feature — news at 11 ...

Ed

Reactions: KEVINS

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yea, me too. I'm still trying to grasp what all settings there are so maybe there is still one in the closet I'm missing. Maybe it's pulling it too aggressively but I thought it would at least dial it back in slower.

ks

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Interesting discussion with Matt over at DIY Tech support today. I explained how I intuitively thought the traction control worked and what you were experiencing.

During the course of the discussion Matt suggested the traction control feature would incrementally pull timing and add it back depending on how aggressively the tire exceeded the % slip target in the tuning s/w. He suggested a 5% slip target but allowed as how individuals might want to move that target around depending on the specifics of the car being tuned for and the tires being used

If I understood Matt correctly, as the tire begins to exceed the preprogrammed % slip we entered into the tuning software, the ECU begins to progressively pull timing. If the tire blows through the %slip target the ECU will aggressively begin to pull timing up to the target maximum we have commanded. If we just ignite the tires the ECU will scale very quickly to the max retard specified in the tune.

I suspect, but don't know, that the ignition retard will very quickly go to max in runaway slip scenarios. At that point I would expect recovery to be difficult if possible at all.

Ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Interesting discussion with Matt over at DIY Tech support today. I explained how I intuitively thought the traction control worked and what you were experiencing.

During the course of the discussion Matt suggested the traction control feature would incrementally pull timing and add it back depending on how aggressively the tire exceeded the % slip target in the tuning s/w. He suggested a 5% slip target but allowed as how individuals might want to move that target around depending on the specifics of the car being tuned for and the tires being used

If I understood Matt correctly, as the tire begins to exceed the preprogrammed % slip we entered into the tuning software, the ECU begins to progressively pull timing. If the tire blows through the %slip target the ECU will aggressively begin to pull timing up to the target maximum we have commanded. If we just ignite the tires the ECU will scale very quickly to the max retard specified in the tune.

I suspect, but don't know, that the ignition retard will very quickly go to max in runaway slip scenarios. At that point I would expect recovery to be difficult if possible at all.

Ed
Right now I have it starting at 15* @ 5% slip and as time goes on to retard timing up to 25*-ish at 100%. I don't see that it ever pulled much more than 15* the entire time even micro-stepping through the log file. As you can see from the screen shot it's either pulling 15* or nothing and it adds it all back at once.

I understand with DR's on the street that tire spin will be more sudden than slicks but my log files don't act like what we hoped to see.

ks

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Kevin, check the PM equivalent I sent to you.

Ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Making a bit of progress I think.
DIY looked at my files and suggested that I change the activation a bit. Below are the settings I used along with the log results. The tires were spinning a lot but with feathering the throttle to half throttle it was more reasonable and you can see the timing being phased in a little. Based on the log graph it really made a difference when it pulled 17* vs the initial 15* so I have since changed the activation to pull 17* at 5% slip instead of 15* at 10% slip. I haven't tried this setting yet.

KS

21 - 36 of 36 Posts