Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about using a twin turbo setup on the 4.6L? I've seen it on the 5.0's, just wondering if anyone has seen it on the 4.6's.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a Turbo setup from innovative turbo solutions. The kit included the following:

Stage I 4.6 single kit including 62-1 Garrett turbo, 38mm external Turbo smart wastegate, Turbosmart Type II BOV, 3" DP and H-pipe connection, Large Frontmount IC, new headers piping houses connections etc..

Intank Steeda dual fuel pump 42lbhr injectors 80mm Calibrated mass air sensor reburn on custom chip, installation and dyno runs. You would also need to switch to a flowthru muffler instead of a chambered style wich was included.

If you want to install and tune it yourself take off $1000

They want $7500 installed with dyno tuning. :jawdrop Seemed like alot to me. I thought turbo's were cheaper than Superchargers :confused:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I thought you were looking for a twin setup.If you just want a turbo setup,call TotalPerformace.Brad has a badass kit at a great price.And no,Turbo's are not cheaper.

Tim

·
Registered
180 Posts
A twin turbo setup, with everything needed, tuned, and washed is worth about $10-11K. Anything under that is just a steal.

Hmmm, twin-turbo'd Lightning?????? Hmmmm.

joe:shocked

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That setup looks SWEET :cool: One question though. If boost is still boost regardless of where your getting it from (S/C or Turbo), then to get any power gain over a supercharger would still require heavier engine mods right? IE: pistons, rings etc...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jake Lamotta, of Lamotta Performance in Longwood Fl, will custom build you one, just like his. 407 695 4549. It's similar to the old Incon kits of a few years ago. He runs 9's with stock block. Just get out your checkbook, but it's a bargain IMHO.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cobra Killer said:
I thought you were looking for a twin setup.If you just want a turbo setup,call TotalPerformace.Brad has a badass kit at a great price.And no,Turbo's are not cheaper.

Tim
Brad does bad ass work! That shop has a lot of space for winter storage ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Best bet is to just get the Total Performance kit currently...

Brad is building them as quick as he can, and you can make several changes to the kit including just about any turbo for any usage.

A nice dual ball bearing Innovative setup will make nice boost extremely low :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Kevin,

If you check out turbomustangs.com, you'll find a wide array of reviews....very mixed results so far from what I have seen.

They were supposed to be working together with Total Performance to jointly offer 4.6 and 5.0 kits. I know PTK ordered one TP 4.6 kit and that was it. Then the venture was killed. Now they're going to be offering their own 4.6 kit....makes me wonder, each can make their own decision I suppose.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
thanks for the link, they have a lot of info on that site. There are more turbo places out their than I thought, I just hope some will come out with a kit for the 034v, all they really need to do add would be something for the intake manifold to replace the eaton.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just put on your flame suit before hanging out at that site :)

Good info, but some have an interesting sense of humor.

I know Brad at TP had been contacted about making a kit for the 03 4v, but he didn't see it being cost effective since serious power can be made with the SC already on it or even more with the replacement with a KB.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
don't worry, I don't know enough about turbo's to post over there. Thats true about the 03, but I also think that since the KB is making so much power that it should be even more of a reason to try a turbo. With the engine set up for boost I think we would see amazing results with the most efficient power adder. Even if no one makes a complete "kit" you could probably use most if not all the parts from an 01 kit (besides some of the computer and fuel system parts) and just get your own ported manifold or something to that effect. What do you think?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work and I know he is making kits for the 01 4v....but I don't know enough about the 03 to list the differences.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
how do you like your turbo? Is your car a daily driver? Would you recommend it over a supercharger?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Love it. I wanted a twin setup as I road race as well as drag race. I was very concerned about lag. I have zero lag. I opted for a different turbo(GT61BB), but I make full boost at 2400rpms. But I'm only at 8psi for now until I can finish piecing together a motor - my suspension was more important.

Weekend/nice days only... 7k miles in 2 years.

I'm not a big fan of superchargers...if I was going to get one it would be a Eaton/KB style though....Just my $.02

I'd opt for a little bit bigger of a single than I have if you only drag, and stick with the dual ball bearing/liquid cooled setup.

But I am pretty impressed with some of the numbers coming from the 03's lately....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts