Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what all will have the 3V heads? Is the 2V just going to be obsolete? I wonder what kinda of numbers we will see out of them!?

Brandon

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The three valve seems to make a power improvement on the 5.4 and ford is working on the 4.6 3valve for the mustang. I think because of the variable cam timming, the 3v head will replace the 2v head in the next few years to help lower emissions. The basic performace design is there, just gonna need a way to make it work for a performace ugrade on older cars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
as far as i know if you do NOTHING else but switch to the 3v head on a 4.6 from the PI 2v.. you should pick up 30 ish hp 80 or more for us non PI GUYS :D:D:D

dont quote me on that as the motors arnt out yet, but thats the rumours i've been hearing

-Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't believe you will be able to do a swap without some extensive modifications. Remember the Variable Cam Timing is activated by oil pressure, so there has to be some kind of additional passage in the block that flows in to the passage in the head which then in turn controls the VCT.

Maybe some kind of adapter could be fabricated, but until we see the heads & block seperately there is no way to tell.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The new 5.4 3v does have the VCT that is oil feed and controled by the pcm. I pretty sure that the heads that I saw were either prototype or off a falcon and had pressed on cam gears with no vct. The head gasket looked similar if not the same but untill someone puts all the pieces side by side to compare well wont know for sure.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, just don't bet on being able to swap them. Just too good to be true. But then again. It could be like swapping to PI heads. It could happen.:D

Brandon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts