Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since I posted anything about my car. 2002 was very disappointing for me as I went thru the growing pains of a completely new combination. Last year I switched from a NOVI 2000 to a Procharger F2m/cog drive, Hogan sheet metal intake, Electromotive Tech III, custom air to air intercooler, Accufab prepped Powerglide.

My old combo with the NOVI 2000/8 rib, Speed Pro, C4, and stock intake went a best of [email protected] in 2001. I also made 100 very strong passes on that motor.

Last year after the switch, and a new SHM to boot, we did a bunch of testing on SHM's dyno and the result was 985 rwhp. Shortly after that the Modular Shootout came up and we ran it in the Pro Mod class. By the time we got the car to the shootout compression was down in 5 cylinders, and 2 cylinders were hovering around 100 pounds of cranking compression. At first I thought there might be a ring issue because we had some rich conditions on a brand new engine. This problem was from installing one of the very first Tech III's in the country and a firing order change in the wiring harness.

I thought that the rings might need some leaning out so we decided to roll the dice and run the shootout anyway. Well, as it turned out the car was running extremely rich because it the compression was down, and we only managed one 9.1 at only 150 mph pass. The car wouldnt stall on the transbrake neither because power was down, and it didnt 60 foot very well.

After the shootout, I did more compression tests, and found that the motor needed yanked out. The car went back up SHM's for a teardown and we found both copper head gaskets blown and the heat strips on the back of the heads melted.

Also, the Manley pistons were showing signs of not being up to the task at this level. The pistons that were fine at 780 rwhp, were not up to the task with the new combo. The skirts were slightly collapsed from the good power it made early on when it was on the dyno. We had custom pistons made for this time around. They are the same pistons that John Mihovetz is running in both his Yellow and Green race cars.

Upon further reflection, I needed to figure out how the car got so hot. It certainly wasn't from a lack of fuel, that much I knew. One of the contributing factors stemmed from too many modifications at once, and too short of a deadline to get it done. The car was completely redone in a very short time frame, and not only were SHM's techs working on the car, but both John Mihovetz and myself spent about 5 (16) hour days getting it done. It was a major undertaking. Rule number one, don't bite off more than you can chew.

Problem #1
I didnt have enough time to do the cooling system the way it should have been done. With the way the Hogan intake is designed, the throttle body is mounted straight in the front, and the intercooler has a straight shot to the throttle body and intake. With this modification, that meant that I could not longer use the stock cooling rail that bolts to both cylinder heads (due to clearance issues). We tapped the cylinder heads and used 2 dash 12 braided lines from each head to the radiator. My decision to do this was a bad one. I should have used a filler cap, and mounted it to the highest point up by the heads. Not only could I not fill the radiator from the highest point, but I had no way of checking flow thru those lines. There was also no way of bleeding the system once it was filled. This was my eagerness to finish the job and figure it would be ok.

Problem #2
With the intercooler and plumbing that went from the outlet of the intercooler to the throttle body, I had to change to a shorter radiator. SHM used a Fluidyne and cut off the top row of the radiator. This made the radiator only 13" inches high. The problem with this was that I had the Shogun water pump mounted where the stock battery sat. The water pump was now higher than the radiator and was sucking a lot of air instead of water. Neither John nor I caught this detail because again, we were doing 80 hours of work in only 5 days. This problem was only found by Sean as the new engine was going back in. Cudos to Sean for catching it.

Problem #3
The Shogun water pump and its small lines were too small for the power the car was now making. The pump uses only dash 8 lines. Shogun doesnt rate this pump in terms of flow, and I could just tell it wasn't going to support high horsepower. I assumed it would be good because it worked for the old combo. Sean installed a Davies Craig water pump http://www.daviescraig.com and now theres some serious flow. The inlet/outlet of the pump is 1.5", and can flow 300 gallons per hour.

So with these 3 problems found and the custom made pistons, last years problems should be behind me. Now I'm going to put an Autometer datalogger on the car and it will allow me to monitor everything that I need. It will also help dial in the tuneup faster with 8 EGT's.

I am in no hurry to get the car down the track as I want to take time to go over it some more and make sure everything is right. John and I plan on doing some testing here in Pittsburgh when the weather breaks in April. The car will be at the shootout, but will not be in any class. It will be there just to have some fun with a few grudge races. It's time to have some fun again.

I'll post some pictures of the new cooling system shortly.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
That is great news Dave! Now get out there and get it fine tuned and show us what it is capable of. I am sure mid 8's or so will be the norm when it is all said and done.

/me reminds himself to bring some earplugs to the shootout :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Excellent update. It's good to get a reminder of what it takes to go fast.
James
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top