Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Update on the hard shift "hesitation"

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Eric Brooks 
#1 ·
After a call to my chip tuner last week regarding the hesitation while shifting, I pulled my chip and headed down for a re-burn on Friday.

I had talked to him about the timing retarder during throttle lift information I saw posted here. He checked the programing while we were on the phone and indeed found the retarder you guys were talking about.

I watched over his shoulder as he pulled up the graph for the retarder program to make the change.....now I don't quite understand this but before he made any changes the factory program showed is was pulling up to 55deg. of timing.....I've never had a car that ran 55 deg. even at full advance. Maybe someone that knows more about this can fill me in a little bit.....the tuner was pretty busy and just fit me in quick, so I didn't want to bother him to much. Anyhow he changed the graph to -2 deg.....did the re-burn......and sent me on my way. He did say if that didn't fix it to call and let him know.

Last night I finally got chance to run the car and do some hard 6k shifts (I do lift while shifting.....just don't trust the IRS and input shaft for the tranny). The hesitation is almost totally gone!! The reason I say almost is because you still feel what seems like the boost drop and rebuild from the throttle lift.......but this is very slight. My hesitation was so bad that during hard shifts at the strip and road course it fealt like the engine actually shut off briefly (almost like you stab the brake quickly).

My next change is the boost bypass mod to see if this eliminates the rest.:blob

See less See more
#2 ·
If your boost by pass is sensitive ? The boost by pass mod will work,,Try disconnecting it,before you buy anything..

#5 ·
Cool. Don't buy anything just disconnect it or you can have your tuner disable it in the chip I believe. I have had mine disconnected for some time without any problem. The only thing different is if you hit the rev limiter you will know it. Duh.

#6 ·
That mode has been in stock computer programs since i can remember..My 96Cobra had it..Back then even mail order Superchip disabled it..

#8 ·
When I called the guy that tuned my car and asked him about the timing retard.......he said said he didn't see the programing for it because the setting was across the top off the graph (I did see the chart before he changed it and the line was at the complete top of the graph.....which was 55 deg.). I think from the way they talked my car was one of the first couple 03's they tuned. From what I have learned while checking on this problem it appears Ford has done this since at least 94'.

BTW Eric....I think you were one of the guys involved in the previous thread that directed me to the timing retard......Thanks!!!!

toofast4u.......There is no question now when I hit the limiter.....did that twice....I hate to see if it gets worse with the boost bypass. ---Mental note---DON'T HIT THE REV LIMITER!!!!.....any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.