Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the jacket delay, fellas. We have run into a little snag.

The designers want written consent from Ford for use of the SVT name, Cobra logo as well as use of the Terminator phrase.

Now before anyone goes haywire over this, I challenged them and went through the whole gammut with them. And, as it turns out, they are correct. As the designers of the jacket, they could be liable if Ford gets pissed. And so could the embroidery shop.

I have worked with them to explore other options. They designed a counterfeit cobra logo and used different fonts with SVT...and it just don't work...it doesn't have that Ford look like it should.

So we gotta get written approval from Ford to release the design and move to the embroidery phase. I was told that many of our members have some connections and pull with Ford people and could help out with this. I was also told that it would be no problem...Ford likes such things and would not object in any way.

But I don't know where to begin. I don't know who to call...how to get the ball rolling.

I will begin research on it tomorrow but could use some direction if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

G

·
I thought Ford was pretty easy with that stuff...not like GM and Chrysler....they are abit on the greedy side.
I dont know where to start with that....I can call a buddy of mine that does this for a living...S&P Tees. He got into a big showdown with GM awhile back.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Hammer head, I will try some people I know, Rem. Brian Wolf
and a few others, Ill let you know,
Dr Frankenstein :shocked
See u at atco...... Shut up and show up !.. Dont sing it bring it !
Oh Harry ! You too , You are worthy now !;) Lets ride:blob

G

·
Ok Pete....I will give it my best shot to go there...but I have to weigh my options....use my 1 day getaway for that or for the Dyno Day? Its hard to get out of here on weekends. Shit..its hard to get out of here period !
Shoot...you might as well just take my car yourself, If I cant.. ....two PJ's cars ripping up the strip! oooops...only one will be able to do it legally....the other will have one shot and then the big boot

Hot Rod(I forget what my car looks like)Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

nitrous pete said:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Why don't you get the SVTOA involved. They are sponsored by Ford they should be able to get the approval or point you to somebody who can.

btw, Terminator is trademarked but not by Ford that is why are car is not officially the Terminator.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toofast4u said:
Why don't you get the SVTOA involved. They are sponsored by Ford they should be able to get the approval or point you to somebody who can.

btw, Terminator is trademarked but not by Ford that is why are car is not officially the Terminator.
You guys are right. The SVT hotline and SVTOA will be my first phone calls tomorrow to begin this thing.

Toofast: I told the designer that Terminator was not used by Ford but rather just the 'codename' for the project. They said, it's fine but they want concent from Ford to use it...even if it says that they don't have any rights to Terminator.

Guess it's just cover your butt stuff. What a PITA!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
HAMMER said:
You guys are right. The SVT hotline and SVTOA will be my first phone calls tomorrow to begin this thing.

Toofast: I told the designer that Terminator was not used by Ford but rather just the 'codename' for the project. They said, it's fine but they want concent from Ford to use it...even if it says that they don't have any rights to Terminator.

Guess it's just cover your butt stuff. What a PITA!!!
Hammer, I am no lawyer, but I doubt very seriously that there would be any issue with using the "Terminator" name, as long as the movie logo wasn't used. It's not the name of the company or the product, and isn't used for monetary gain. Think of it as putting the word "terminator" on anything else. Just because you use the term doesn't mean you violate the TM. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
721 Posts
If all else fails, let me know. I have exclusive access to a custom embroidery shop in South Korea. They can make ANYTHING! Hat's, Jackets, T-Shirts, Medallions (Coins), etc.

They don't give a crap about copyrights or trademark infringement either... Pretty reasonable cost too....

U.M.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with Meat... Pacific rim may be the way to go here given these new bumps in the road. Once the FOMOCO lawyers get involved forget it...

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uncle Meat said:
If all else fails, let me know. I have exclusive access to a custom embroidery shop in South Korea. They can make ANYTHING! Hat's, Jackets, T-Shirts, Medallions (Coins), etc.

They don't give a crap about copyrights or trademark infringement either... Pretty reasonable cost too....

U.M.
It's not just the embroidery shop. It's the release of the final design from the hired artists. That's the big thing. When I post the images, you will see what I mean, why it's worth the trouble.

But if all else fails, I will let you know and we can discuss your South Korean shop. Thanks for the help.

Rich

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GOOD NEWS!!!!

I had a very positive conversation with Bill Martens, who is the Marketing Manager for SVT. He thinks that what we are doing is great and says that Ford is fully supportive of such efforts.

There are guidelines for the use of the logo, and our design must be screened by what Mr. Martens called the "logo police" before an approval can be issued.

Those guideliines for approval include the use of the logo without distortion and without "misinterpretation" as he put it. It sounds confusing and I spoke with him at length about it. Basically, it means that Ford doesn't want marketing materials that communicate an undesirable message. For example, they might frown on, "2003 Cobra...everything else sucks".

Along those lines.

But, I described everything to him and he feels that we will have no problem whatsoever. I am now going to coordinate for the hired artists to send Mr. Martens all the required digital images and I will follow-up with him next week on status.

He also said that he admires us and sees all the press that we are getting. He says that we, as a group, are doing Ford very proud. He says that a lot of vendors ignore proper procedure on t-shirts, hats, jackets, etc and he thinks it shows good character for our group that we are following proper procedures.

Good news, huh? Do the right thing and the right thing happens.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds great Rich, We really apprecite all your hard work. I can't wait to see what the jackets will look like.
Matt

·
Banned
572 Posts
nitrous pete said:
THIS SUNDAY ??????
what time ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
That is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country!!! :mad: I am just as interested as everyone else to see these cool jackets get completed BUT, if it means having to send the job out of the country to do it then you can KEEP your jacket!!! My Cobra isn't foreign made and I don't want my jacket to be either!!!!! The area where I live had several clothing manufacturing plants that provided decent jobs for our small community and because of this NAFTA shit there have been 6 clothing manufacturers and 3 other factories closed in the last 3-4 yrs. (all with-in 50 miles) costing our community thousands of jobs (5000 jobs from my town of only 5800 people) in the last 3 yrs. alone! Everyone of these manufacturers have moved their production overseas and it's actions such as this that is why our country is on the brink of another depression!!!! :mad: When are the leaders of our country going to realize that until they repeal this NAFTA crap things are NOT going to get better! I am so sick of this "let's be good neighbors to the world SHIT" I say F**K THEM!!!! Our country sends Billions of dollars to "less fortunate" countries every year, but yet we let thousands of people go hungry on our very own streets!!! That to me is complete BS!!!! Why is it my responsibility to worry about someone halfway around the globe? They sure in the HELL ain't worried about if I still have a job next week, or if I have enough money to feed my wife and 6yr. old son tomorrow!!!

In other words, :shootbird South Korea :shootbird

·
Registered
721 Posts
ALLNTRL said:
My Cobra isn't foreign made and I don't want my jacket to be either!!!!!
Better look again...where did that defective D/S in my Cobra come from?

In other words, :shootbird South Korea :shootbird
Yeah, let's just forget about S. Korea! Let them reunify with the North. That's just what we need right now.

If you were to read my post again you'd see I stated, "IF ALL ELSE FAILS". It was merely a last ditch idea.

This custom jacket deal is a great idea and I thank HAMMER for taking it on. I would love to have a custom '03 Cobra specific jacket any way I can. If there aren't any manufacturers in the U.S. that can do it, is that MY FAULT? I guess I'm supposed to deny myself the pleasure of owning a piece of clothing just because it can't be done here in the good old U S of A!?

If HAMMER and crew come through with an American made jacket, I'll buy 3 of them and proudly salute the flag as I withdraw the money from the bank! If not, then I'll just send a money order to Mr. Kim at at the Long Duk Dong embroidery and gift shop!

Get a life!

My 2 ¢

U.M.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ALLNTRL, I agree, I too, am frustrated at the erosion of manufacturing base in the US.

As UM says, there isn't much we can do, BUT that doesn't mean there is nothing we can do.

Rule number 1 on any board, don't talk politics, lest the flame war begin, however , IMHO our great country along with being attacked from the outside, is also being attacked from the inside by self serving politicians of both parties. We all need to do what we can when possible. As both of you has said, when you can buy American do it, although in lots of cases it is hard to tell what really comes from here.

For example, my Cobra has lots of foreign made parts, but my Sony TV says "made in USA". Not sure what the F that means.

JT

1 - 20 of 43 Posts