The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are our options?
Anyone use the PHP intercooler?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I wasn't referring to your post George. Yours posted before mine :) I was one the phone and you beat me to it. We had the same link.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh, ok. I realised that later, after I saw your link was the same as mine. Yeah, I assume Jimmy is talking about a heat exchanger. I'd wait it out a little bit, till someone (manufacturer) tested these things out. The SVTOA one looks pretty cool, though. I have yet to see StRacer's. I have great faith in this guy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know someone on the svtperformance site upgraded their intercooler. I did not like the results, I'll see if I can fetch the link. If not, then i couldn't find it. heh.

Edit: I couldn't find the link. I just remember the intercooler being too big for the car and dipping down past the scuff plates making it very difficult to deal with speed bumps without tearing the damn thing right off. Heh.. I like this SVTOA heat exchanger. I wanna see some more #s tho.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Blades said:
I know someone on the svtperformance site upgraded their intercooler. I did not like the results, I'll see if I can fetch the link. If not, then i couldn't find it. heh.

Edit: I couldn't find the link. I just remember the intercooler being too big for the car and dipping down past the scuff plates making it very difficult to deal with speed bumps without tearing the damn thing right off. Heh.. I like this SVTOA heat exchanger. I wanna see some more #s tho.
:confused: The intercooler is in the lower intake. Are you referring to the IC radiator??

--Joe

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes I am, excuse my ignorance. The guy "said" it was an intercooler upgrade. Who knows.. not me... I'll just step aside.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Blades said:
Yes I am, excuse my ignorance. The guy "said" it was an intercooler upgrade. Who knows.. not me... I'll just step aside.
:p I was just trying to figure out if you were really referring to an IC upgrade.

--Joe

·
Registered
124 Posts
2kbill said:
I'm liking the looks of that heat exchanger over at SVTOA, looks well designed.
David knows what he is doing. I think Chillfactor gets his this week and mine is due early next week.

Considering the facts about David that have come into play then I would steer away from him. The product works but the person does not.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It looks like an OK piece, although I don't agree with the premise of it, and I think he makes outrageous claims.
"just wanted to see if there were any others out ther who might be interested in dropping their intake charge air temps over 100 degrees. We did some testing and the power difference over stock is the same as pushing a small shot of nitrous into the supercharger."

The problem I see, is what he touts as its benefit. The whole internal fin idea seems like a marketing gimick.

Water cooling is much more efficient than air cooling. It took awhile, but even Porche came around to this way of thinking.

In other words it is much easier to transfer heat to or from the metal of the cooler ( or to or from anything for that matter) with water than air. Ever jump in the ocean and notice how much colder 70 degree water feels than 70 degree air? It is the same general principle. In that cooler, 50% of the height of the core is taken up by the liquid tubes so they can contain the internal fins. This to me is unnecessary, and takes away height that could, and should be used to transfer the heat from the metal to the air.

Why is every radiator I ever seen just liquid tubes with no internal fins running either horizontally or vertically between two tanks? Is it because everybody is too cheap to splurge on the internal fin design? Or is it because they won't add any benefit.

Anyway, my .02.

JT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, contrary to other posts I've seen on the subject, I too support the idea that water transfers temperature much faster than air, simply because of density. The higher the density the more molecules per unit of volume, the easier it is to transfer temperature. That's why the best insulation is air and in general material with very low density.

Now, about the fins: You may think that since they are metallic and therefore more dense than any liquid, they would transfer heat better, and indeed they do. The difference is that they don't travel around the booster to get warm and then move out to cool off, like water does.

I hope this made some sense :D

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Water is really amazing. Among many of it's unique properties, it's heat transfer coefficient is, 1, as in, there is nothing higher.

Even when mixed with antifreeze, the coefficient is still pretty good.

Air has a poor coeffecient of heat transfer.

Anyway that is the rub, why have 50% of the height for the best heat transfer medium and 50% for a much worse heat transfer medium?

Doesn't make sense.

JT

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yes, it is water to air, but unlike most radiators, the water passages are "tall", the same height as the air passages. This is because the water passages are finned like the air passages (but obviously finned on the inside where the water flows). He touts this as a significant efficiency advantage. I doubt it could be any better, if at all than the standard style, non internal fin radiator configuration.

In other words, I don't see this unit having a significant advantage over other oversize, or should I say over thickness, radiators that can be put in the same spot as the stock one.

I really have seen no gains with my extra thick core, and question whether there is much, if anything, to be gained in this area.

JT

·
Registered
404 Posts
If I could keep the air close to amb. I would be happy. Living in Houston will take a toll on a car in a hurry. Anything should or would be better than what we have now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the php intercooler with fans. I am happy with it now, but it was a pain to install. I did not like their mounting method, with 3 little self-tapping 1/8" screws into the bumper support. To get this to fit flush I would have had to mangle the styrofoam bumper fill, which hangs down below the edge of the bumper support. Even then I couldn't see this as being adequate support for a fairly heavy and important component that hangs so close to the road. I ended up (after some minor dremel modifications) making it work with the stock bracket, which is a fairly heavy-duty piece. It hangs no lower than the stock one, so clearance is not a problem.

I haven't had much of a chance to tell how effective it is, since the car went straight to the shop to get suspension mods, but the fans move a lot of air and with the temps rising in Tennessee it has to help...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts