Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is an 87 lx vert very near completion. The drivetrain is all 96 cobra stuff and one of my final challenges is making the factory gauge cluster work. 1st the tach, do I need to use a tach adaptor? Autometer tells me know while other swappers have said yes. Speedo. Can I run a cable driven speedo with my T-45? Oil press. Temp. can I simply tap into the leads on the 96 harness? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone running a tweecer like myself?
Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nobody I know uses the factory gauges....they werent that acurate to begin with. If I'm spending 10K to put this motor in, I wanna accurately monitor it......know what I mean? Plus aftermarket gauge packages look cool! It can be done, If your gonna go through all the trouble you will need a tach adaptor, and a very expensive speedo for the electrical output on the tranny if T-45s have them. I know T-56's and 3650's have them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will have the factory 04 cluster in the 88 dash.Search under my name on here and there should be some pics. I would do it but pictures are blocked here at work.............

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will have the factory 04 cluster in the 88 dash.Search under my name on here and there should be some pics. I would do it but pictures are blocked here at work.............
i think he meant "factory" like 1987 lx factory, not 96 cobra factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I did mean factory 87. See here's the thing, I don't think a bunch of aftermarket gauges wedged in the dash or especially a monster tach on top is very sexy in a street car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, I did mean factory 87. See here's the thing, I don't think a bunch of aftermarket gauges wedged in the dash or especially a monster tach on top is very sexy in a street car. Just my opinion.
Depending on what transmission the speedo may work. The volt gauge should be fine,use an oil pressure sending unit from the 5.0 engine ,temp sending unit from a 5.0 engine and the tach may work if you use an aftermarket tach adapter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have the tach adapt just haven't tried it since autometer told me it wasn't necessary. As for the temp sending unit and press sending unit, if I replace them will the PCM no longer know temp or press. I suppose oil press isn't terribly important but the PCM must see temp as I am using the factory CCRM to control the elec. fan.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks, I have the tach adapt just haven't tried it since autometer told me it wasn't necessary. As for the temp sending unit and press sending unit, if I replace them will the PCM no longer know temp or press. I suppose oil press isn't terribly important but the PCM must see temp as I am using the factory CCRM to control the elec. fan.
The fox uses one wire sensors for the temp gauge and the oil pressure. Just add a t at each sender location or find another port to get it from.
I welded an extra bung on my coolant pipe for my coolant gauge and I will use a T for the oil pressure gauge and the turbo feed..............

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the 96 motor has 2 sensors in it the driver side sensor is for the gague and pass side is for the comp the oil press never went to the comp anyway so just use fox sensors there and u should be fine and u shouldnt need a tach adapter for the fox tach it hooked straight to the coil on a 5.0 just like any tach would and the 96 comp will drive an aftermarket tach so stock should be no diffrent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great, I noticed two sensors in the coolant tube but the Helm manual only shows one. And the tech from autometer was right, the 96 PCM tach output is sufficient. So what the heck is their tach adaptor for?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
its usally used on coil on plug setups and some systems have such a delicate signal that a tach will make it too weak to fire but the 96-98 comp actually gives out a signal for a normal 8 cyl tach

·
Registered
257 Posts
josh02gt- "
its usally used on coil on plug setups and some systems have such a delicate signal that a tach will make it too weak to fire but the 96-98 comp actually gives out a signal for a normal 8 cyl tach"

Is this the same for a 04 mach engine or is their a difference?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the mach will need a tach driver or a tach capible of reading a single cylnder to my knowlege there isnt a dedicated tach signal on the 99+ cars or anything with cop setup

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can actually pick up the tach signal at the instrament cluster wirring. You can also pick up the other wires for the oil and temp there.
Okay I need a little more detail going the two different routes putting a 04 Mach1 4v in a 90 fox-

Using the stock 90 cluster?

Using an aftermarket cluster with autometer gauges?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts