Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know, my country gas sucks @$$ & i don't want to lose any octane during the burning process... because of some oil getting into my intake manifold, also i don't want any detonation. because i want my motor to live happily ever after. :laugh:

As soon as i got my Cobie<--- (is this a gay word):grin:. I'm going to do this. I want to do both sides.. the passenger & the driver side valve cover. what you guys think? i don't want any oil drop in my manifold! we don't have any emission test here! i want to do the valve cover breather but i'm not sure? i don't want any leaks?

What brands you guys recommend? any advice? input? is much appreciated. Thanks.

03Cobran00b.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take a look at the JLT pre-filter while you are researching. I am using two of them with check valve, no complaints.
Agree... name Cobie is worse than gay (just as bad as termi) please dont.
Kinda amazed at your post count in only 18 days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the steeda oil seperator on the drivers side and the small k&n breather from the jlt big cai kit. Works great and get no oil in intake at all.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
amievil844, Why not run a breather on the driver side?
Do i have to change breather from time to time or clean it. i know that you have to deposit any oil/fluid that have collected inside the glass in the oil separator.

Double-d, no more cobie! hello termi. J/K. well about my post account, i need to post any questions/thoughts i have before i got my Cobra.. so i don't forget them.. so i know what to do when i have my car. so far, i learned a lots of info because i registered here, i gotta hand it to you guys, my cobra would blow right when i got it because of my own ignornce.:stretcher i owe you mach1033, rishi615 & everyone who helped me. thanks guys.:thanks::ilovemf:.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The breather you do have to clean just like a k&n filter...the oil seperator does have to be emptied from time to time, but at least you can see how much oil is being lost through the system. In my opinion they tend to put out more oil on the drivers side through the pcv. I dump it about once a month back into the motor. Plus it does keep the pcv system still intact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just used a 3/8" vacuum plug. You can get a small k&n breather for the passenger side. You can go to just about any auto parts store and pick up the barb fitting that is the size of the gromment on the passenger VC. Then just clamp the small breather filter to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
amievil844, Why not run a breather on the driver side?
Do i have to change breather from time to time or clean it. i know that you have to deposit any oil/fluid that have collected inside the glass in the oil separator.

Double-d, no more cobie! hello termi. J/K. well about my post account, i need to post any questions/thoughts i have before i got my Cobra.. so i don't forget them.. so i know what to do when i have my car. so far, i learned a lots of info because i registered here, i gotta hand it to you guys, my cobra would blow right when i got it because of my own ignornce.:stretcher i owe you mach1033, rishi615 & everyone who helped me. thanks guys.:thanks::ilovemf:.
I wasn't on you for the high post count, actually thought it was refreshing that you are trying to do things right the first time. Nothing wrong with that!! Good on you

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't on you for the high post count, actually thought it was refreshing that you are trying to do things right the first time. Nothing wrong with that!! Good on you
Well thanks my friend. i usually research stuffs before i buy them. so i can get the best stuffs, examble: my Cobra.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just used a 3/8" vacuum plug. You can get a small k&n breather for the passenger side. You can go to just about any auto parts store and pick up the barb fitting that is the size of the gromment on the passenger VC. Then just clamp the small breather filter to it.
Does it seal air properly? the last thing i want to have is unmetered air! i need to have this barb fitting so i can sit the filter on top of it & connect it to the valve cover? is the K&N filters are the best in the market?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The barb fitting is just like one that you would use to splice a vacuum hose, except bigger. If you have an Advance Auto Parts they are usually in the area where the emmissions fittings and plastic tubig are. In regards to blocking the one on the inyake tract. I put the vacuum cap on and the put a small piece of shrink tube on too make sure that it stays tite. I have had no problems with it staying on.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The barb fitting is just like one that you would use to splice a vacuum hose, except bigger. If you have an Advance Auto Parts they are usually in the area where the emmissions fittings and plastic tubig are. In regards to blocking the one on the inyake tract. I put the vacuum cap on and the put a small piece of shrink tube on too make sure that it stays tite. I have had no problems with it staying on.
Thanks for the Fantastic info amievil844. is this the same pcv system you''re running?

different filter. this is a shm filter this pic is not mine. i hope the owner of this pic wouldn't mind?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Same oil sep just different filter. Mine is the open K&n, but generally that is it.
Man!! just check the turbo piping on that thing. Crazy!! i don't n want my cobra to have that kind of power it would be crazy to drive it on street tires. i tell you this it would take a lot of skillz to control/tame these type of beast. just say your prayer & fasten your seat belts. it's going to throw you in your seat.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I Ran The Jlt Seperator And 2 Steeda Oil Seperators Screwed Together, Still Had Oil In Manifold. They Would Fill In A Week Or Two. Went To 2 Breathers And No More Oil In Manifold=woo Hoo

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I Ran The Jlt Seperator And 2 Steeda Oil Seperators Screwed Together, Still Had Oil In Manifold. They Would Fill In A Week Or Two. Went To 2 Breathers And No More Oil In Manifold=woo Hoo
So the oil spererators are crap? I like the way the breathers look anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Lets Just Say This, The Jlt Does Work Alittle, The 2 Steedas In A Row Work Alittle. Took Blower Off About 6 Months Of Use And Had At Least A Cup Of Oil In The Bottom Of The Manifold. I Went Breathers And Just Put My 3.4l Whipple On And No Oil In Bottom. Hummmm

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lets Just Say This, The Jlt Does Work Alittle, The 2 Steedas In A Row Work Alittle. Took Blower Off About 6 Months Of Use And Had At Least A Cup Of Oil In The Bottom Of The Manifold. I Went Breathers And Just Put My 3.4l Whipple On And No Oil In Bottom. Hummmm
LOL :dunno2:which breathers did you use?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks NITROS COBRA for clearing things up for us. someone said to me before "if u don't have any emission test... do breathers". made me wonder if breathers are more useful than oil separators. but i don't know what to get now? JLT looks like a nice piece, but i prefer K&N under hood appearance.

it's strange.. that when you pop the hood of a stock cobra and you see breathers installed w/stock air intake & pulley guard.

can someone throw me a link of 'breather for sale online' that works on these cars? it would really helps? appreciate it. :thumb2:<--- i'm going to order these SOB soon.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts